boatman's cabin lamp

BenC

Featured Posts

Where do I buy a boatman's cabin lamp? I'm after a 12v one not oil, (have a 2yr old on board so don't want the fumes) I can't seem to find one anywhere. Found high line yachting site online, but they sold off their stock years ago, even though they are all still on their website. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks Bem

Where do I buy a boatman's cabin lamp? I'm after a 12v one not oil, (have a 2yr old on board so don't want the fumes) I can't seem to find one anywhere. Found high line yachting site online, but they sold off their stock years ago, even though they are all still on their website. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks Bem

Didn't GU boats have electric fittings from new?

Oh those :)

I picked one up for £5 from Better Boating at Reading last year.it was from a dismantled boat I think

Lovely quality to it and a big original bulb in it :)

Got a feeling Freeman cruisers might have them not sure though

That would be good :)

I thought Derek R might have already shown us via a link but not sure if they were original fitting or not

There are a couple similar to the Hudson fitted one, on ebay now described as gimble rather than gimbal. Quite low bidding so far.

They may be Oil but not too difficult to convert to 12v with some sub miniature 12v bulbs from maplin :)

Edited by magnetman

Steve Hudson supplies these gimballed lamps to boats he builds with back cabin.

Gimballed lamps had no place in the back cabin's of 'historic' narrow boats.

I recall oil lamps for back cabin's being made utilising the hinged candle stick holders that were once common on upright pianos. The hinge allowed the lamp to be positioned out of the way over the 'fire' during the day but could be swung toward the table cupboard during the evening (so illuminating the cabin better). Boatmans Cabin Company produced something similar in the 1980's.

There were very few, if any, purpose made articles for fitting in back cabin's, the vast majority of fittings being adaptations of items intended for a different use - many of which bits and pieces are still available.

Edited by pete harrison

As the former manufacturer of the "Boatmans Cabin" range of chandlery I can shed some light on these sought after fittings. We did two lamps, a small one "The Leicester" and a large, the large we called the "Gloster" lamp. Both fitted to the reproduction "Mr Greens" sconce bracket candle holder. They were conventional lamp bodies made by E W Blockley & Co of Balsall Heath Birmingham with a threaded lug brazed to the base which screwed in the candle holder.

Latterly on we used diecast brass Italian sourced brackets.

Its very easy to make one, particularly if its just a electric lamp. Have a hunt around some antique shops and I am sure you will find the parts for under £50, certainly here in Bridgnorth you would be spoilt for choice.

However as Pete Harrison has stated GU motors were equipped with leccy lights so if one was fitted it was for a personal choice.

This picture shows a "Mr Greens" sconce with a lamp body fitted:

gallery_5000_522_13722.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

As regards electric lamps, that brand spanking new 'Berth' lamp as depicted in my previous link was an absolute copy - the same - as a very yellowed and chipped berth lamp that had been fixed in TYCHO's back cabin. When that was fitted I have no idea, but I was quite chuffed at finding a period - probably 1950's - styled replica. The old one was above the table cupboard, and the new'un got put opposite and over the bed'ole.

Where is my boat? What you up to speedwheel??

Gimbals - no need, they're for sail boats. Look silly. As is a free standing oil lamp on a stove top. Very 'twee'.

Edited by Derek R.

As regards electric lamps, that brand spanking new 'Berth' lamp as depicted in my previous link was an absolute copy - the same - as a very yellowed and chipped berth lamp that had been fixed in TYCHO's back cabin. When that was fitted I have no idea, but I was quite chuffed at finding a period - probably 1950's - styled replica. The old one was above the table cupboard, and the new'un got put opposite and over the bed'ole.

I think the one I have is cream bakelite maybe thats why it is slightly yellowed too.

Handy to know you can get them - I think they are most pleasing and also very practical as they don't flap about and get in the way like gimbal lamps would.

Good grief! Once upon a time that might have been a coffee pot.

Vintage Narrow Boat lamp eh?

I suppose if the Koreans are marketing PET covered cardboard boxes for use in cooking over an open flame (Boy Scouts used to boil eggs in paper bags. Yet to try Boy Scout though) anything goes . . . . They'll be converting old coal barges to live on next.

Gimbals - no need, they're for sail boats. Look silly. As is a free standing oil lamp on a stove top. Very 'twee'.

I do not understand how anybody could possibly comprehend that a free standing Oil Lamp on a boat is safe, which is why fixed (hinged) lamps were fitted in many working narrow boat cabins even though free standing Oil Lamps were readily available.