Boater with no respect or consideration for anyone else

KenK

Featured Posts

Although he is wrong, perhaps he assumed that since he tied up late in the day and was off again early the next, then he would be in nobody's way. Some canals are really quiet and a newbie could easily think that boats only move during the day.

The T&M has a couple of hire bases one at Stone and one at Great Haywood, Friday is a change over day so boats were moving through the lock until eight o'clock that evening in both directions. I hardly think 5.00 o'clock is late mooring up and 8.30 is not an early start and he only needed to move the boat its length to moor without causing anyone a problem. The T&M is a wonderful canal but it sure isn't quiet.

Ken

I wasn't supporting or excusing his actions. I was saying that your actions (posting pictures of his boat on here with your accusations) are worse than his.

That's exactly what someone with a vendetta would say... We are supposed to take your word for it?

What was the purpose of posting pictures of his boat on here? You could have had a good moan without 'naming and shaming' him.

Your opinion to which you are entitled, personally I don't agree with you.

Are you calling me a liar? If so on what evidence?

I could indeed and what would that have achieved?

Ken

Are you calling me a liar? If so on what evidence?

I'm not saying you are a liar, I'm saying we have no way of knowing whether you are or not.

I could indeed and what would that have achieved?

You tell us... What did you hope to achieve by posting pictures of his boat here?

I hardly think 5.00 o'clock is late mooring up and 8.30 is not an early start and he only needed to move the boat its length to moor without causing anyone a problem.

Ken

I am not defending him, i am just conjecturing why a fit and able person with a smart and functional boat might think - wrongly as I already pointed out.

The ingnorant sod moored on a lock mooring causing problems for others - plenty of evidence - guilty as charged.

Well, we know he moored there long enough for OP to snap some pictures. Anything more than that you are just taking his word on...

"plenty of evidence"? Where?

Now who's the dick?

Still OP

Edited by Delta9
  • Greenie 1

I think there are a couple of problems stemming from 'naming and shaming' on an Internet forum.

Firstly as has already been said the fact it is a share boat ( or so it has been said) means other boaters may get tarnished by his brush.

Second unless the boater in question sees this thread it won't actually make any difference to his future consideration for others.

There seems little doubt the guy is a bit of a 'tool' given what has been posted by Ken, and I see no reason to disbelieve him but I am not sure what is achieved posting it on here.

I also don't buy the timings of arrival and departure as an excuse. With the iffy weather we are having at the moment people need to move when they can and this may mean moving till dusk or an early dawn start.

Anything more than that you are just taking his word on...

... apparently the Rotherham 1400 weren't believed either. The police didn't take their word for it.

Why would the OP lie? OK the photos are inconclusive but they were not submitted as proof, only for illustration.

Why would the OP lie? OK the photos are inconclusive but they were not submitted as proof, only for illustration.

There are multiple reasons for someone to lie about something like this, use your imagination.

http://www.edoeb.admin.ch/dokumentation/00153/01073/01081/index.html?lang=en

http://www.edoeb.admin.ch/datenschutz/00683/00721/00993/index.html?lang=en

Not so much that specific sentence, more the labouring of the point.

I think naming and shaming stupid. Saying so and defending my point to those replying to me does not mean I'm agitated, it means I am bored and have nothing better to be doing right now...

I think naming and shaming stupid. Saying so and defending my point to those replying to me does not mean I'm agitated, it means I am bored and have nothing better to be doing right now...

Fair enough. Actually - I agree with you up to a point. I am really not a fan of naming and shaming, but I can understand why some do, and I would certainly not go so far as to suggest that they may be lying.

I'll start to name and shame when I know without a doubt that I am absolutely perfect

A long wait commences

Seriously- In this case, the man appears a twit- but it is very easy to be wrong, and I personally would feel terrible shaming someone like this and then finding a genuine and potentially sad reason for their act; because of that I'll vent but prefer not to name in public

I'm also bored and although I have plenty to do I'm choosing to procrastinate on this forum.

The pictures clearly show that matey boy moored up on a lock landing. This makes him a dick. I don't think naming and shaming him on here actually achieves anything, positive or negative unless you think that someone seeing this thread will keep their eyes open for the boat and drown the occupants in revenge for someone mooring the boat like a dick.

To put some balance into life- then you have to report positives as well as negatives

Has anyone seen anybody do anything good today?

There were some boats correctly moored on the towpath in the OP....(assuming they weren't over staying of course)

smile.png

It shows he moored there, it doesn't show for how long he moored there.

If he was moored there longer than needed to operate the lock then he was in the wrong.

Why would anybody claim somebody moored for ordinary lock operation was in the wrong, it doesn't make sense.

It surely is obvious that he was there longer, unless you are calling the OP a liar which you claim you are not.

Edited by The Dog House

Fair enough. Actually - I agree with you up to a point. I am really not a fan of naming and shaming, but I can understand why some do, and I would certainly not go so far as to suggest that they may be lying.

I don't really think OP is lying, but accepting his naming and shaming opens the door for people who would lie. There are already people on here saying that the boat owner is a dick and I'm sure that there are some people that will have a negative opinion of the boat in question the next time they meet it cruising. What is to stop me naming and shaming any old person that I have a beef with? Apparently no actual evidence is needed, people are prepared to take OP's word that the boater is a dick.

I don't really think OP is lying, but accepting his naming and shaming opens the door for people who would lie. There are already people on here saying that the boat owner is a dick and I'm sure that there are some people that will have a negative opinion of the boat in question the next time they meet it cruising. What is to stop me naming and shaming any old person that I have a beef with? Apparently no actual evidence is needed, people are prepared to take OP's word that the boater is a dick.

Unfortunately in the age of the camera phone 'naming and shaming' and posting on the internet is a feature of modern life that we seem to be stuck with, whether it be this example or somebody driving erratically and being caught on somebodies 'dash cam'.

Perhaps the potential to be caught on camera doing something stupid and it being published on the internet might prove to be a deterrent (to some at least)

Edited by The Dog House