Japanese knotweed on the Don

Theo

Featured Posts

We have been on the River Don for a week or so now and are perturbed to note the huge colonies of J K which line the banks. There is a legal obligation not to allow it to spread but the problem seems uncontrollable at this stage.

Below Aldwarke Lock the high bank is retained by piling which extends to about 20 feet above the river level. There is a huge colony on the bank there and it's pushing the piling out. I have just read up about it and it seems that the cost of dealing with it in a 30m x 30m construction site can be as much as £52,000. Scary!

N

Much worse than Himalayan Balsam which can just be pulled out I think. This stuff requires repeated applications of glysophate over a number of years but it can be eradicated, at least I got rid of it from my garden over 10 years ago and it hasn't come back.

It is illegal to plant it or to dispose of it irresponsibly but not, apparently, to just leave it growing.

Almost bought a house in south wales until the survey mentioned Japanese knotweed. That was 6 months ago and now it has started to come into the house walls and through the drains . Great Little house , someone spent alot of money renovating it to see it unsaleable .Bunny

Just had a mortgage offer withdrawn on a property in Swansea because there is Knotweed 27 metres away from the house at the bottom of the garden.

Treatment about to commence on the FIVE plants (!) and a very serious conversation with the neighbour with the over run garden.

Yes G & F is correct, it is a notifiable weed. Have seen it push up through a new car park in Bexley and turn it into a jungle.

Phil

I used to keep equines and was always under the impression that Ragwort was a notifiable weed, but I now understand that there is no such thing as a notifiable weed in this country.

Dave

Yes, it is. It is also the national flower of the Isle of Man - and plenty grows there.

I think there is / was a lot of scaremongering about ragwort, although it can be bad for horses and other equines. If CRT were to rid the canal system of it they wouldn't have any money for anything else and would probably go bust within two years.

Dave

It is worth reporting to CRT new stands of JKW as it is easier to eradicate before it becomes properly established.

It is also worth pointing out that it should not be taken with garden waste to recycling centres - the best was of disposing of it is to dry and burn. It is classified as hazardous waste and soil etc contaminated with the plant has to be disposed of in a fully bunded tip - this explains the high coat of treating it.

As little as 0.7 of a gram of the rhizome is enough for the plant to regenerate!! It does only spread through stem and root material - it flowers but does not set seed in the UK. More information can be found here

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/trees-hedges-and-woodland/invasive-plants/japanese-knotweed/guidance-for-control/?page=13803

This also has a guide to identifying it.

Yes, plenty of in S.Wales. We used to chomp on it when we were kids as it tasted a like rhubarb. Now I just lie here and watch the big red sun come up over the reef (knot) and talk to the flower pot men!!

I used to keep equines and was always under the impression that Ragwort was a notifiable weed, but I now understand that there is no such thing as a notifiable weed in this country.

Dave

The government website says

"You do not need to notify anyone about the invasive plants on your land. However, you should report certain non-native species on the Non-native Species Secretariat (NNSS) website"

Which leaves me wondering what is the difference between notifying and reporting.

The government website says

"You do not need to notify anyone about the invasive plants on your land. However, you should report certain non-native species on the Non-native Species Secretariat (NNSS) website"

Which leaves me wondering what is the difference between notifying and reporting.

Ragwort is a native species though!

Dave