Why - Why Not .....

Supermalc

Featured Posts

It's true, I've often thought that anyone who thinks an E-Type is sexy has obviously never seen a seventy foot working boat, preferably empty and uncovered...

Now I prefere t see them laden. the smaller freebaord looks so much more graceful.

Nick

TORTURER!

B):blush::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was a little surprised to see something similar on the Trent coming back from Notts last year.

scilllookalike.jpg

Seems there are still several around....some requiring a little attention.

thrummy10.jpg

Edited by Supermalc

A Narrowboat because I like cruising on narrow canals aswell as broad canals and rivers and for the overall comfort and warmth. There's nothing better, for me anyway, to be stood on the tiller of a narrowboat cruising along in any of the 4 seasons either wrapped up warm with the cut mainly to yourself or chilling out on the front deck with the sound of a slow revving diesel chugging away 10ft infront of you.

I've had a cruiser but only a starter boat and not again. Although they're nice and light and easy to handle, they're a bugger in the wind, and because we only used it as a weekend boat it was always cold and dampish when we arrived on a friday. Also, I know that you seem to fit much more in a cruiser than a narrowboat of the same size, I'm not so keen on them because they all look the same. You have Normans, Dawncrafts, Nauticus etc, although differences sizes, all the same overall shape.

Ok ok, I meant chilling out on the front deck and then on another occasion, going along (stood on the back) with the engine infront of you

Oh leave me alone !!! B)

not widebeam because it won't go on the Oxford

Not cruiser because they aren't my kind of thing

not small yaght because I wouldn't use it properly

Yes to narrowboat because they go on the Oxford, have character and are silly.... oh and its all I have ever known.

If I had borrowed a cruiser to live on perhaps I would have ended up on one of those... I did look into them but didn't feel that I had the right temperment to liveaboard, and to be honest, I haven't seen that many "young" lasses/folk living on a cruiser 24/7 and decided I would rather a solid fuel stove in a steel tube rather than a grp tube. Oh, and I wanted to be able to go on the Oxford.

If I was wanting a boat, and there were only 7ft rivers and canals, I think I would have a narrowboat. When the boat fits the waterway, it doesn't matter about steering etc. as it steers itself.

In my relative short time of boating, just coming up to 5 years, I have had quite a wide experience. I've been on, and driven wide and narrow steel canal boats, wide and narrow, long and short cruisers, and a variety of wooden boats from small dingies to 30footers.

Without doubt the nicest boat I've been on is the 26ft Wooden clinker, Macanor, both for character and maneuverablilty etc. Would need major proper restoration, but the basis is so good because she was built by a boatbuilder who worked at a boatyard, so everything he had gleaned from other boats was used, resulting in a top quality boat.

Allan's 'Keeping Up' is probably the nicest NB I've been on, and even though it's been used, and not new, still one of the best to steer. Also one of the most pleasing designs I've seen.

clip....

Allan's 'Keeping Up' is probably the nicest NB I've been on, and even though it's been used, and not new, still one of the best to steer. Also one of the most pleasing designs I've seen.

Ah - you found the wine stash too! B) The design of keeping up is most impressive.

Am I the only one that really just loves getting the approach (to a narrow lock) dead right and squeezing in through towering gates....easing off the throttle, watching the clearance as the gates close, feeling the surge as the paddles slowly open........blooming marvellous.
Good isnt it!

- The whole thing of hiting a lock at speed, and geting cushioned by the water is quite fun.

- Do it when there are loads of people watching, really cream it in, and watch all there faces as the bow rides up on the water and brings you to a seamless stop.

You just have to now mess it up...

Daniel

I'm not so keen on them because they all look the same. You have Normans, Dawncrafts, Nauticus etc, although differences sizes, all the same overall shape.

I think your idea of a cruiser is a bit different to mine. You have Silvers, Thornycrofts, Waltons (not walton marine), Fowlers, Moores, Ernie Thomas....

Thornycroft Cruiser

A work of art!

I think your idea of a cruiser is a bit different to mine. You have Silvers, Thornycrofts, Waltons (not walton marine), Fowlers, Moores, Ernie Thomas....

Thornycroft Cruiser

A work of art!

Absolutely! Couldn't agree with you more, and If i have the time i'd jump at the chance to own that.

Thornycroft Cruiser

A work of art!

Ok point taken, I see where you're coming from and I agree. I was commenting on the bog standard cruisers you see on the cut.

ive always dreamed of owning a nauticat one day, ive loved them since i was very young. the open sea, cruising foreign rivers, coast hopping, its all possible with one of those. its a different life to narrowboating so i thought i better get the inland waterways finished off and fully explored before i head off in a few years out to sea.