blacking prices

tippybirds

Featured Posts

Anodes seem expensive to me.

Blacking not far off normal.

Dry dock sounds good price. Do you pay per day thereafter or is that included in the blacking cost. If it is then I feel the blacking is a good price. Find out what they are using.

We did our own blacking in June and used Rylard. Rytex. Used it before and will use it again.

Martyn

thank you so much for your responses. so if we accept that this is too high a quote. can anyone recommend a midland based yard that will dry dock and black for a reasonable price. I know the obvious choices in this area but anyone had particularly good/bad/cost effective experiences in the Midlands?

Product Code: AA-080 ANODE DUFF FLAT MD80 2.8 KGS

Your Price: each £33.60

On top of this is the time and equipment to weld the anodes on to the hull(1 hour) - maybe angle grinding off an old pair.
This is Midland Swindlers customer cost with no trade (20%) discount - these are available cheaper elsewhere - if you have bolt on anodes rather than welded anodes - absolutely getting ripped off.
most Midlands yards would just charge a basic cost per foot (i.e £9/10 ) including docking. - shop around - which part of the Midlands???
Edited by matty40s

I was quoted £100.00 per anode at CAVERSHAM and the boat was already out of the water. He was

supposed to be doing me a favour as his welder was going on holiday. He also charged me £400.00

for lifting off the lorry and putting into the water, but the price would have been plus 20% vat

if I paid by card. He didn't get any more business from me.

The "value for money" of those prices depends what you get ?

one coat, two coats, three coats, hours or days between coats, hand touch up in dfficult places etc etc.

We paid Trevithics in Nottingham £450 for a 45 footer. all inclusive.

Day 1 - into dry dock, jet wash and report on boat, hull, anodes, stern gear etc condition. Grind any badly adhered old blacking

Day 2 - hand paint all nooks and crevices, weedhatch and strakes, Paint Hull 1st coat

Day 3 - allowed to dry and harden

Day 4 - as per day 2. Second coat

Day 5 - as per day 3

Day 6 - as per day 4 , 3rd coat

Day 7 - final touch up of any places needing extra (ie waterline) allowed to dry and harden.

Day 8 - 8:00am, dry dock refilled, boat floated out and next boat floeted in.

You can stay aboard, free use of toilets and water. £2 per week electric.

apologize for typo's, the "c" on my keyboard is dying, evidently I'm in anal world forums right now.

At this point (and we have secured a mooring and been looking for a boat for A WHOLE year!!!) have FINALLY found one we like, it is booked in for a survey. I had read that it makes sense to get it blaked and renamed at the same time, so whilst we have spent SO LONG researching and dreaming about this it looks like it might be finally happening................pending survey

Alan de Enfield, does it really take 8 days!! 3 coats, tell me what I need to know

tippybirds, on 04 Aug 2014 - 9:18 PM, said:

apologize for typo's, the "c" on my keyboard is dying, evidently I'm in anal world forums right now.

At this point (and we have secured a mooring and been looking for a boat for A WHOLE year!!!) have FINALLY found one we like, it is booked in for a survey. I had read that it makes sense to get it blaked and renamed at the same time, so whilst we have spent SO LONG researching and dreaming about this it looks like it might be finally happening................pending survey

Alan de Enfield, does it really take 8 days!! 3 coats, tell me what I need to know

It will take as long as it takes.

It can be done in one day (as quoted by Newak marina), lift out, paint and back in. I declined to even discuss it with them.

As a minimum it should be one coat per day, but the longer you leave it between coats the harder it sets and the better it is. Basically you get what you pay for - Trevithics 'do it right' and are booked up at least 6 months in advance.

If you go for a one or two day job, you'll be re-doing it next year.

Pay once and get a good job done.

It will take as long as it takes.

It can be done in one day (as quoted by Newak marina), lift out, paint and back in. I declined to even discuss it with them.

As a minimum it should be one coat per day, but the longer you leave it between coats the harder it sets and the better it is. Basically you get what you pay for - Trevithics 'do it right' and are booked up at least 6 months in advance.

If you go for a one or two day job, you'll be re-doing it next year.

Pay once and get a good job done.

There is an argument for not leaving bitumen too long between coats, as it relies largely on the solvent in the fresh coat softening the coat below to give a good bond, it'll do this better if the coat below is not completely hard.

Without looking up the tech details, I think Spencer Coatings recommend 24 hours between coats and 48 hours after final coat at 10 C. International quote shorter times, ISTR 12 hours between coats, for Intertuf 16.

Weather conditions make a huge difference to actual drying times.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

There is an argument for not leaving bitumen too long between coats, as it relies largely on the solvent in the fresh coat softening the coat below to give a good bond, it'll do this better if the coat below is not completely hard.

Without looking up the tech details, I think Spencer Coatings recommend 24 hours between coats and 48 hours after final coat at 10 C. International quote shorter times, ISTR 12 hours between coats, for Intertuf 16.

Weather conditions make a huge difference to actual drying times.

Tim

Even following those recommendations you are looking at the best part of a week.

Day 1 - lift out, jet wash and preperation

Day 2 - 1st coat

Day 3 - 2nd coat

Day 4 - 3rd coat

Day 5 - Drying

Day 6 - Drying

Late day 6 or day 7 - back in the water.

Even following those recommendations you are looking at the best part of a week.

Day 2 - 1st coat

Day 3 - 2nd coat

Day 4 - 3rd coat

Day 5 - Drying

Day 6 - Drying

That's usually what I do when I do it myself. It's the first coat that takes the time getting in all the nooks and crannys with a brush. I use a fence paint brush round every corner and strake, and any bare parts, then roller three coats from just above the water line down and a couple above where usually apart from where we have rubbed paint off there are no bare bits.

We have always used one of the modified coal tar vinyls and they seem to work pretty well, blacking every two years

Day 2 - 1st coat

Day 3 - 2nd coat

Day 4 - 3rd coat

Day 5 - Drying

Day 6 - Drying

I agree, if the ambient temperature is only around 10C!

Hot summer weather, it's sometimes possible to put the first coat on the same day as washing off, and to apply two coats in one day (though that's not something I would normally do).

My main point was that leaving too long between coats may be counter productive.

I normally do blacking on a 6-day cycle, and don't generally do it at all in the cold months

Tim