A funny thing happened on the way to BSP's birthday banter

p6rob

Featured Posts

Hi,

So, around midday today my son and I set off from Sherborne Wharf, the plan was to get to Fazeley over this weekend, then pootle the rest of the way to Glascote Thursday evening.

Part way through the Farmers bridge locks, my engine started playing up, it was like it had run out of fuel. I know this couldn't be the cause, as I put about 40.00 of redA in last week, in readiness for the trip. Anyhow, just as this time the lock flight was getting really busy with boaters ascending. I was having to pull the boat through. I did get some help from one couple as we passed, thank you. Sorry I didn't get your name, the boat had a Kelvin though.

As we had just got into lock 13 and opened the paddles a middle aged asian guy came running down the towpath shouting "Call the police. There's people chasing me. Phone the police"

As it happened, I didn't have my phone on me, it was inside, in the rain coat I'd recently removed. I noticed the guy had his phone in his hand, so suggested he call them himself.

The guy kept shouting up to the bridges and parapets "why are you after me?"

I asked my son to get my phone and continued watching what his guy was up to. He sat on the edge of the towpath for a few minutes, then jumped in and swam to the far side. It was a bit of a pointless exercise as the bank is pretty steep on the far side there and, he clung to the side while swimming towards the weir and lock.

I tried asking him why people were chasing him, what his name was, etc. After a few minutes, I decided to call the police, however, typically, my phone battery was down to 3% and, not knowing the local police number, I made my first 999 call, explained the situation to them, they passed the call through to Birmingham police, and within about 10 minutes, 15-20 officers were making there way from both ends of the towpath.

They were trying to talk some sense into the guy. I told them pretty much all I could and asked if I could carry on out of the lock. They said I could so, I bow hauled through to the lock landing and tried to get the engine going again.

It was definitely starving of fuel for some reason, however it briefly ran. Just long enough to get to the middle of navigation before dieing again. Just as I tried moving away, I noticed there were even more police and a fire crew had arrived on the scene.

In the end, I bow hauled the boat down to the rings at Aston Road bridge, where we're moored now.

I discovered there was a lump of silicone blocking the pipe from the tank and some diesel bug in the first filter. I've cleared the problems added some marine 16 to the fuel tank and eventually got the fuel bled through. It's running again, but there's no way we'd have made it to a decent mooring tonight, so, we're stopped at Aston Road for the night.

Talk about an exciting day. Very sliding doors, in that, if the engine had been running properly, we'd have never come in contact with the, presumably high, Asian dude.

Edited by p6rob

After I'd explained it over the phone, once they knew where we were, the first question the operator asked was what his ethnicity was. I'm not sure if, or why, it was relevant.

I know it's not right, but, I kept thinking, "why is this happening to me?"

I've got 99 problems why'd you make yourself one of them?

After I'd explained it over the phone, once they knew where we were, the first question the operator asked was what his ethnicity was. I'm not sure if, or why, it was relevant.

So they could identify him in case there were two men in the lock

I'd not long tied up at the water point at Cambrian Wharf when a policeman asked if I had a thing he could borrow to drain a lock.

He said there was a bloke in the water at snow hill who wouldn't come out.

Because the policeman had never used a windlass (and I wanted it back) I got a lift with him to the pound below lock 12.

Sure enough there was a guy refusing to get out of the water. He was on the far side pushing away a dingy with blokes trying to help him.

The fire brigade, paramedics, and police were there in number, and now me with a windlass.

So the idea was to drain the pound if he wouldn't come out. He'd been in an hourish.

I smoked a fag while a negotiator went out in the dingy to talk him out. No joy.

Later 2 CRT volunteers arrived saying " he can't stay there".

So I left because they had their thingies with them. And my boat was on a water point. And I was fed up.

I don't know if the guy in the water was on drugs or having a break down but he sure wasn't saying anything that made sense.

Hope they got the guy out ok.

A sad sight really.

Glenn

Yesterday's adventure was only slightly less traumatic: 2nd lock out of Aston, more silicone in the fuel pick up pipe and the throttle cable snapped. In 10 hours managed to get as far as Bodymoor Heath. This is the third time I've been on this stretch of canal and I've never seen so many fisherman in my life. Must have been about 70 of them, I thanked each one as I went past, even the ones who steadfastly avoided eye contact.

Thinking I'll stay here for a few days and replace the throttle cable before continuing any further. It's easy to go faster, very tricky to slow down at the moment.

Rob

HI Rob,

You might well see Tawny today, some friends have borrowed her and are probably leaving her at Bodymoor Heath tonight, (unless they decide to go on to Alvecote)

We are going to meet them this evening, and Richard has to go to Calcutt today to get some parts, so would you like him to pick you up a cable and drop it off this evening?

PM with details if that helps you.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm at work today unfortunately, but might try and escape early.

It would be great if Richard could get the cable but unfortunately I haven't got as far as measuring it yet. It's at least two meters long, possibly three. I could do with 2 fuel filters and an oil filter though if that's not too cheeky.

Oh, and if he's passing Endurance Mats...

I'm at the far end of the pound below the Dog & Doublet. Let me know if you, (or anyone else) is up for a mini pre-banter banter at the D&D tonight. I have my son til Friday so can't make too late a night of it though.

Rob

Tawny is safe and sound, so far. I'll keep a check on it.

I've removed the morse cable, including the end piece, the inner is 3.10 meters end to end.

Looking at it, the cause of the failure was the new battery boxes. The increased box depth has meant too tight a radius curve at the fuel pump end of the cable. The increased drag has caused the inner to break at the morse end.

I'll need to change the battery earth leads, one of the positive leads, possibly swap the starter battery box for a smaller one, then maybe, I can angle it all to give the throttle cable more room.