New marina- Hawkesbury - Looks like it's a goer!

Ronniesonic

Featured Posts

Morning folks- The local rag reports what we have heard on the grapevine.

It's the raised bit on the 'Oxford' side. I had spoken at length with the Contractors doing the 'sample' testing etc last year. I understand the owners mean business if they get approval. Not short of a bob or two.........

I guess the queue at the 'Hound' will be even longer on a balmy summer's afternoon........ oh well.

Thoughts anyone?

I actually love our C&RT mooring right next to the pumphouse on the Coventry side, so not sure it would suit us.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/longford-canal-marina-plan-set-7475882

Hope the linky works..........

The Sonic

EDITED as spelt 'balmy' as 'blimy'

Edited by Ronniesonic

Looking at the Marina's around Mid and South Warwickshire there appears to be an overcapacity of mooring spaces so whilst a Marina at Hawksbury Junction may suit some I feel overall it is not the correct economic climate to build more in this area.

Yes, I hear the argument that another marina will increase competition and bring prices down, but I think saturation point is being reached, new marinas at Cropredy and Market Bosworth. There are also the proposed marinas at Onley and Willoughby Wharf.

Whilst on our recent cruise I noticed lots of spaces in all the marina's we passed. Yes some will be vacated by those cruising. How long before the bubble bursts?

Shades of the golf club boom collapse of the late 1990's?

"I actually love our C&RT mooring right next to the pumphouse on the Coventry side, so not sure it would suit us."

Similar to Barby Straight and Barby marina?

Edited by Ray T

Morning folks- The local rag reports what we have heard on the grapevine.

It's the raised bit on the 'Oxford' side. I had spoken at length with the Contractors doing the 'sample' testing etc last year. I understand the owners mean business if they get approval. Not short of a bob or two.........

I guess the queue at the 'Hound' will be even longer on a balmy summer's afternoon........ oh well.

Thoughts anyone?

I actually love our C&RT mooring right next to the pumphouse on the Coventry side, so not sure it would suit us.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/longford-canal-marina-plan-set-7475882

Hope the linky works..........

The Sonic

EDITED as spelt 'balmy' as 'blimy'

If you like your mooring then I would keep a close eye on whats happening there. Isn't there a policy that CRT close 1 local mooring for every 10 new marina moorings? as the proposal is for 225 new marina moorings that would mean 22 local moorings gone.

I don't know the area so hope someone can put me right on this

I was up your way yesterday, working on a boat at the far end of your moorings

Richard

Looking at the Marina's around Mid and South Warwickshire there appears to be an overcapacity of mooring spaces so whilst a Marina at Hawksbury Junction may suit some I feel overall it is not the correct economic climate to build more in this area.

People building marinas are not building for the economic climate today, they are building for the average climate they foresee five years to fifty years ahead.

It shows that people with serious money to invest have confidence that the number of boats on the system, and the general wealth of boaters, will continue to rise in the long term. I'm inclined to agree with them.

MtB

Yes, I hear the argument that another marina will increase competition and bring prices down, but I think saturation point is being reached, new marinas at Cropredy and Market Bosworth. There are also the proposed marinas at Onley and Willoughby Wharf.

Whilst on our recent cruise I noticed lots of spaces in all the marina's we passed. Yes some will be vacated by those cruising. How long before the bubble bursts?

Shades of the golf club boom collapse of the late 1990's?

"I actually love our C&RT mooring right next to the pumphouse on the Coventry side, so not sure it would suit us."

Similar to Barby Straight and Barby marina?

Hi Ray,

not sure I agree that this is in the same area. It is if you're a leisure boater, but if you live aboard and work in Coventry hen none of them are particularly close, and often at the end of country lanes, not good for an early morning commute to work.

That said if they don't allow liveaboards then my comments are irrelevant.

Sue

Here in Audlem last night people who have travelled up here via Hawkesbury report that their boat was getting air-gunned whilst moored overnight on the visitor moorings on the "Oxford" side of the stop lock. (The police apparently were not interested despite others having rung them on the same topic before the boater we were talking to).

Not a problem I have heard of at Hawkesbury, but apparently there is a local air gun club, and after that shuts down in the evening some of its members seem happy to practice on moored boats.

So if they do build a marina, perhaps it needs good security?

We overnighted at Hawkesbury on the way up, b ut I'm not sure I'll be that keen to when we go South again.

We permanent moor on the opposite side to the vm's and have been there now 2 years and not heard of any incidents as you describe Alan. We have friends on the same moorings who have been there over ten years without issue.

Let's hope that if this is true, then it was a one off.

Is this the correct proposal?

http://apps.nuneatonandbedworth.gov.uk/BT_NBBC_Planning/planning/documents/2012-03-23%20P031405-42%20Design%20and%20Access%20Statement.pdf

This one looks like it is on the North side of the stop lock rather than the Oxford side as per the OP.

Hi Matrin, looks like the proposal for the old golf course on the Coventry side, believe that one was thrown out.

The accepted plans are for the old electricity board site on the Oxford, believe it or not on top of the old slag heap. Will post a link when I can find it. There is something ridiculous like a 12ft lock needed to enter the proposed marina.

Hi Matrin, looks like the proposal for the old golf course on the Coventry side, believe that one was thrown out.

The accepted plans are for the old electricity board site on the Oxford, believe it or not on top of the old slag heap. Will post a link when I can find it. There is something ridiculous like a 12ft lock needed to enter the proposed marina.

Ok, yes now I recall from previous posts it was there. If ever a site needed developing though that is one, it's a while since we boated down that way but it was a true 'blot on the landscape' in the truest sense of the word.

Ed. seemingly the one for the Golf Course got all the way to Ed Pickles

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1221223/pickles-cites-green-belt-harm-marina-scheme-refusal

Edited by The Dog House

Been struggling with a so slooooooooooooooooooow internet connection.

AzE1ZEg.jpg

Can anybody find a link to the application that was actually approved yesterday??? rather the one I linked to which was with drawn it seems.

I've all but given up on their planning application search.

I've been searching too and can only find the original application that was withdrawn late in 2012. No sign of the application that was passed yesterday.

It also appears that the registered office of TIS Worldwide Limited that have submitted the application is a Fried Chicken shop in Bradford?

Here in Audlem last night people who have travelled up here via Hawkesbury report that their boat was getting air-gunned whilst moored overnight on the visitor moorings on the "Oxford" side of the stop lock. (The police apparently were not interested despite others having rung them on the same topic before the boater we were talking to).

Not a problem I have heard of at Hawkesbury, but apparently there is a local air gun club, and after that shuts down in the evening some of its members seem happy to practice on moored boats.

Yes there is a club, right behind the lock cottage and been there for years so I would be very surprised if it was them. Its not normally club members who do that sort of thing and there is no history of it.

Yes there is a club, right behind the lock cottage and been there for years so I would be very surprised if it was them. Its not normally club members who do that sort of thing and there is no history of it.

There is also a very thick hedge and a wire fence between the gun club and the towpath, not to mention 100yds of grass currently being munched by 3 young horses!

We moored at Aldermans Green , near hawesbury last Sunday Evening, by the old pub that has been renovated into a private house. Two lads walked past the boat one Carrying an air rifle . A police helicopter was overhead for an hour or more . The lads stood under the bridge for 30mins or more so we phoned the west midlands police to see if they were looking For them but apparently they weren't. In light of what I have read on this topic I think we avoid mooring here on the way back . Bunny

Oh and we topped ponies water buckets up with water as they were empty . So if your in the area please check their buckets. Quite friendly And used the people. Bunny .

Oh and we topped ponies water buckets up with water as they were empty . So if your in the area please check their buckets. Quite friendly And used the people. Bunny .

We permanent moor on the opposite side to the vm's and have been there now 2 years and not heard of any incidents as you describe Alan. We have friends on the same moorings who have been there over ten years without issue.

Let's hope that if this is true, then it was a one off.

Yes, let us hope so.

I have never before heard of anything like this at that location, but I have no reason to doubt the person who told me this last night. I'm quite confident it happened to them.