This just happened, oh bugger !!

Bazza954

Featured Posts

Jaguars are terrible. I would not touch one with my barge pole.

Well... maybe a decent XJS V12...

Modern Aston Martins are terrible too imo

What!

The old xjs was a an awfully unreliable bit of kit.

The 6 was underpowered and the 12 fiendishly expensive to put right.

The only nice 12 was a TWR racer.

The modern stuff is awesome, have a look at the F type to see what a car should be like.

As for Aston, they have plowed a furrow all on their own, making desirable GT cars that embody what the type should be.

That they have had the odd financial bump along the way matters not, they still refuses to join the Porsche band wagon of awful SUV to cash in on a name with great sporting history.

The db9 is still one of the most achingly beautiful cars ever built, you can get that with a V12 too....

The guys on 'Car Talk', an American radio show said that Isuzu vehicles were the mainstay of their car repair business/workshop, that's how they made most of their money - because are Isuzus known for breaking down. Made in China, perhaps?

Chinese whispers....

On the whole Isuzu make very good kit. Don't forget the yanks have traditionally had a very jaundiced view of the land of the rising sun due to pearl harbour.

They only nasty Isuzu product I have come across was the 3.0/3.1 in the trooper.

I had a 1.7 in an Astra that had done Stella miles, would run on anything - it got used hydraulic oil, used gearbox oil. Several litres of used motorcycle engine oil, all sorts really, and never missed a beat.

There is a lot of clever engineering in Isuzu kit.

I wouldn't take the word of a yank car show as Gospel.

Edited to add

Isuzu are a Japanese company, but have interests or joint ventures in most countries world wide including China.

Edited by gazza

I saw a big lorry today loaded with parts ready to bolt on to the cars being made under the badge of Aston martin and Jaguar. How bad are these cars?

I can find no reference to Isuzu being involved in either JLR or Aston Martin. I would be very surprised if they were, especially as ford once owned both companies and Isuzu has ties with GM....

As for how good? Something us mere mortals won't get to enjoy too often....

I haven't read a bad review of any JLR or AM product in donkeys years either.

My neighbour's F Type disappeared on the back of a tow truck last weekend. He has had an upgrade to a Fiesta for the time being.

Oops!

Lovely looking and sounding thing though?

And I didn't mean the fiesta!

Chinese whispers....

On the whole Isuzu make very good kit. Don't forget the yanks have traditionally had a very jaundiced view of the land of the rising sun due to pearl harbour.

Actually, other than perhaps a few aging WWII vets and white supremacists who hate everyone that isn't white and ignorant like them, there's no prevalent anti-Japanese feelings in America. Those who give it any thought probably figure the two atom bombs we hit them with were sufficient payback for Pearl Harbor.

It might be of interest to note that the top selling cars in America are: 1) Honda Accord, 2) Toyota Camry, 3) Honda Civic, 4) Honda C-RV, and 5) Nissan Altima.

They only nasty Isuzu product I have come across was the 3.0/3.1 in the trooper.

We have a 19 year old 3.1 Trooper - we never did like it as much as the 2.8 we had previous but (touch wood) it's never had a major failure in 186k miles. We had to take the tow hitch off to gt it through the last MOT but that's our fault for keep backing it into salt water and not washing it properly afterwards.

Actually, I tell a lie, it's dangerous. It's such a good tow vehicle you can "forget" there's two ton of boat behind and only remember when a lorry flashes you back in as you pass them at over 80 MPH...

Actually, other than perhaps a few aging WWII vets and white supremacists who hate everyone that isn't white and ignorant like them, there's no prevalent anti-Japanese feelings in America. Those who give it any thought probably figure the two atom bombs we hit them with were sufficient payback for Pearl Harbor.

It might be of interest to note that the top selling cars in America are: 1) Honda Accord, 2) Toyota Camry, 3) Honda Civic, 4) Honda C-RV, and 5) Nissan Altima.

However, top selling vehicles as opposed to just cars suggest that you guys still prefer American wheels to foreign kit. Getting on for double the amount of f series fords sold compared to the Toyota Camry.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/11/usa-auto-sales-brand-rankings-october-2013-ytd-sales-figures.html?m=1

I hadn't realised the US auto market had suffered a similar fate to the UK, pesky quality imports cutting into their god given right to flog wheels to the nation. No wonder Detroit is bankrupt!

I did say traditonally in my first comment, nice to see things have changed. Everyone loves a bit of sweeping generalisation though, don't they? :-)

We have a 19 year old 3.1 Trooper - we never did like it as much as the 2.8 we had previous but (touch wood) it's never had a major failure in 186k miles. We had to take the tow hitch off to gt it through the last MOT but that's our fault for keep backing it into salt water and not washing it properly afterwards.

Actually, I tell a lie, it's dangerous. It's such a good tow vehicle you can "forget" there's two ton of boat behind and only remember when a lorry flashes you back in as you pass them at over 80 MPH...

Great trucks, just not keen on the bigger 3.1 motor. I have heard similar from trooper owners to you re 2.8.

The 3.0 suffered some disastrous failures with Isuzu having to carry out a major recall on them. Progress eh?!

When I had the need for a 4x4 I always lusted after a petrol v6 shogun but could never get one in my budget.

We ended up with a frontera which was great - thankfully! And then a terrano which was average and underwhelming.

Edited by gazza

Update
Mtb it is made of steel, read on !!

Hi, have removed the broken piece of mounting from the rubber engine mount and had a look at it. The other half is still on the engine.
Not good, it appears to be made up of several pieces of steel welded together this has created (in my opinion ) a weak spot which is roughly in the middle of the mounting, between the engine and the rubber mount, therefore I think that the stresses put on this mounting from the travel power alternator has broken, what in my opinion is a very poorly manufactured, nay, thrown together and welded by a monkey mounting.
A proper mounting would not have broken under those conditions unless it was crap, oh exactly what I've got !!
Can't wait to see the new one.

for some reason I can't up load pics at the moment, but will do as soon as.

Baz

Certainly doesn't look like a weld failure to me. More like metal fatigue.

I still maintain it was under considerable stress prior to failure. Look art how the metal has been bent in your last photo (on the right hand side), just as it failed.

MtB

Isn't it cast iron which had been welded after being broken?

Are they all like that??

I still reckon the engine mount was broken prior to install and monkey welded back together rather than replaced.

I have not seen the other mounts maybe they are all like that?

MtB / magnetman,

It's not cast iron, yes they are all of a similar construction, but not as extended as this one is to carry the travel power alternator.

the metal is not bent, what you are seeing is another piece of plate welded in at a slight angle, it just looks bent. There is nothing to indicate any bending, cracking of paint etc.

This is the original engine mount, it hasn't been broken before, I saw the engine delivered and checked it over myself.

I will know for sure tomorrow when the new one arrives if it looks the same.

Baz

UPDATE

Ok, so I removed the rest of the engine mounting and paired it up with its other half.

It looks like the crap welding has failed on the welded bits, then, the continuous stress on the one and only full piece of metal has caused it to sheer in two.

Anyway it looked like this when removed. bottom picture.

There are five bits of steel welded together to create the mounting, just on the flat bit.

The other picture is of the new one, manufactured from one piece of preformed 10mm steel plate, a much better job.

I can't help wondering why the design was rehashed for a better one, when the engine people told me they had never had this happen before. ha ha

The frog was the supporting act

IMG_0011_zps55e4c6f9.jpg

IMG_0009_zps3776ad94.jpg

Edited by Bazza954

I'll warrant it was that darned cast iron frog that caused all the damage!

(Though I cannot think why the first mount was built like that!!!! - Maybe an engineerist could explain?)

Explanation would be 'any kind of crap lying around', it looks as though the stiffening stringer cracked at the top of the totally pointless weld (for the sake of a single piece of bar), causing the high stress flexural failure of the plate.

Glenn

I can find no reference to Isuzu being involved in either JLR or Aston Martin. I would be very surprised if they were, especially as ford once owned both companies and Isuzu has ties with GM....

As for how good? Something us mere mortals won't get to enjoy too often....

I haven't read a bad review of any JLR or AM product in donkeys years either.

Sorry meant I saw a lorry loaded with Chinese products destined for JLR and AM.

ian.

If you look very closely at the images in post #37 it appears as though the two pieces of the stringer which were butt welded, were not even butted up together. Probably indicating the fabricator could not be arsed to grind a fillet and left the gap to fill with weld, which he patently failed to achieve leaving the welding bead to take all of the stress. This resulted in the cracking of the weld at the top of the stringer, evident from the corrosion visible in the pictures which allowed all of the mounting plate to flex, stress harden and crack.

Glenn