Boater attitudes to licencing POLL

MtB

Poll of attitudes to licence evasion  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How do boaters feel about other boaters who fail to licence their boats?

• None of my business whether other boaters licence their boat
    • Vaguely miffed that 4% of boaters evade the licence fee
    • Annoyed enough about it to keep an eye out for suspect boats and run their number through the CRT licence checker website
    • It's ok if the boater has fallen on hard times
    • Something else (elaborate please)
    • No idea, but I love voting in polls
    • Not particularly bothered because people take the pee in all walks of life

Featured Posts

Hang on though a sec. I might need a re- think!!

I have just had cause to read through our insurance policy with Craftinsure as it is due to auto renew in a couple of weeks.

In there it stipulates our boat must be licensed with the relevant navigation authority, so logically if our boat wasn't licensed that would mean it wasn't insured either. So assuming we caused damage to a third party or their boat is it reasonable to assume the third party would lose out? Or would it be the same as motor insurance?

That might create an interest in whether somebody else's boat is licensed or not..........

I ticked "something else"

My "something else" is - kind of curious about why they are showing an out of date licence/vaguely irritated that they might not have paid for a current licence/not bothered enough to complain to CRT

Went for the 2nd one as if this becomes acceptable where will the line of other acceptable "infringements" move to?

If no one slowed down when passing moored boats or moored on water points then there would be he'll to pay very soon.

Pulling up at lock landings and nipping off for lunch or to do a weekly shop will soon become standard practice.

I ticked "something else"

My "something else" is - kind of curious about why they are showing an out of date licence/vaguely irritated that they might not have paid for a current licence/not bothered enough to complain to CRT

I wasn't asking about whether the piece of paper being displayed.

I was asking about whether they had paid or evaded paying the licence fee, whether or not they choose to display the licence ticket!

MtB

Well as you didn't add my suggestion I have gone for 1 that being the nearest.

What suggestion?

I thought I'd included all requested options.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I was asking about whether they had paid or evaded paying the licence fee, whether or not they choose to display the licence ticket!

MtB

What suggestion?

I thought I'd included all requested options.

I suggest option 4 which was about not being particularly bothered because people take the pee in all walks of life. You only gave option 4 as being not being particularly bothered because a boater may have fallen on hard times.

It distorts the reasons why somebody might go for option 4.

I suggest option 4 which was about not being particularly bothered because people take the pee in all walks of life. You only gave option 4 as being not being particularly bothered because a boater may have fallen on hard times.

It distorts the reasons why somebody might go for option 4.

Ah I see. Sorry.

I'll see if I can add it...

MtB

Ah right. My apologies for misunderstanding the question

Try not to be snitty about how you put me right though

I chose the last one.

Yes it bothers me that people take the pee but nothing I do is going to make a blind bit of difference to whether they do or not so life is too short to get wound up about it. If I spot an out of date licence I just tell myself it is someone not displaying rather than someone not paying.

My time is better spent doing positive things to help the canals rather than concentrating on the minority that that spoil it for everyone else

Well have voted, admit not given it great deal of thought but find the insurance question raised by DH interesting one to consider.

I just do what I am supposed to so will have licence cos thats the rules.

NO pay NO Play. Better monitoring/policing should be done to stop the 4% of un payers to use the cut. Same with uninsured cars on roads. Usually no road tax no mot or insurance. Boat crashes into you with no insurance or catches fire moored next to you how do you stand. You should have to prove you are insured to get a licence.

Hang on though a sec. I might need a re- think!!

I have just had cause to read through our insurance policy with Craftinsure as it is due to auto renew in a couple of weeks.

In there it stipulates our boat must be licensed with the relevant navigation authority, so logically if our boat wasn't licensed that would mean it wasn't insured either. So assuming we caused damage to a third party or their boat is it reasonable to assume the third party would lose out? Or would it be the same as motor insurance?

That might create an interest in whether somebody else's boat is licensed or not..........

I got a good kicking on here for arguing that some years ago. Will be interesting to see if attitudes are still the same. I am still in the vaguely miffed category though.