Technical arguments.

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

Take a look at the arguments going on in the equipment forum, it's a bloody disgrace!

Let's have a directory of suitably qualified and experienced members willing to share their skills and attend to technical problems by PM. If you need to know about an engine problem, talk to a diesel mech, If your starter stops working talk to a proffesional, if you need an electonics engineer, we gottem.

The current situation has confusing numbers of contradictory replies from members at all levels of qualification and experience or none, leaving the original questioner no further forward. Also the levels of conflict between "experts" and the degree of personality clash is damaging the atmosphere to the point where some parts of this site are becoming like sullen threatening ghettos.

I would sooner have it impossible to access other members expertise on these matters than walk into a fight!

Take a look at the arguments going on in the equipment forum, it's a bloody disgrace!

Also the levels of conflict between "experts" and the degree of personality clash is damaging the atmosphere to the point where some parts of this site are becoming like sullen threatening ghettos.

I have to agree. I've been staying in the bar of late, and rarely venturing into those areas.

Let's have a directory of suitably qualified and experienced members willing to share their skills and attend to technical problems by PM. If you need to know about an engine problem, talk to a diesel mech, If your starter stops working talk to a proffesional, if you need an electonics engineer, we gottem.

The current situation has confusing numbers of contradictory replies from members at all levels of qualification and experience or none, leaving the original questioner no further forward. Also the levels of conflict between "experts" and the degree of personality clash is damaging the atmosphere to the point where some parts of this site are becoming like sullen threatening ghettos.

I would sooner have it impossible to access other members expertise on these matters than walk into a fight!

Snibble,

I can see where you are coming from, and do totally agree that it is a great pity that things are degenerating to the point they are on many of the technical discussions.

I'll put my hand up as one who probably should either not have got involved in at least one of the threads, or should have withdrawn from it much sooner, once it was obvious where it was heading.

Actually, I believe I managed to stay calm throughout, even when I was being told in what I considered a very condescending or arrogant manner that I was probably incapable of understanding the topic under discussion. However, with hindsight, I freely admit that I knew after a while that my motives had become to make sure that my own science wasn't flawed, rather than because I thought I was still being helpful to the original questioner. (Although to be fair, they did in fact chip in at about the point I was pulling out, and invite us to continue, in this case. - I should still have got out and stayed out though!.....))

However, I think it would be a VERY GREAT loss to have to move to the situation you describe, whereby you only accessed a "panel" of experts via PM to ask for technical assistance. One of the strengths of the forum has been the ability of people to exchange info, others to add their own experiences, and yet more to chip in with further follow up questions. This often means that someone can find stuff straight away by the search facility, (or be directed to it by someone who remembers the discussion), and an expert doesn't need to type a similar long answer out another time.

Yes, sometimes those posts have gone off topic in the past, and some have ended up with no conclusive answer, but a large majority have left a good accessible thread, packed with useful info.

I refuse to get into the name calling or abuse bit, but it does seem to me that most of the recent issues have arisen from a small number of people who seem to have a total belief in their infallibility on many topics, and (in particular) who appear to have very low tolerance of anybody they consider less intelligent/qualified/experienced than they believe they are. It seems no small coincidence that the frequent slanging matches have started at about the same time as several of the people I'm referring to became forum members, (sorry!, but it has to be said!....)

I'm not saying these people have nothing to contribute, of course. Clearly in some areas they have theoretical, (and sometimes even practical!), knowledge that goes way beyond most members experience. But the way they are handling things, I believe, is slowly destroying what I consider to be the backbone of the forum. I'm sorry, but whilst I'll dip into the "virtual pub" occasionally, I can actually get such banter anywhere - it's the technical or canalling specific stuff that brought me here, and that's what I'd like to stay unsullied by all this infighting.

I think if you are a poster who seems to be getting in a confrontational situation in a large number of threads you contribute to, (and with a large number of different people), then you need to be asking yourself very firmly why that's occurring. If you have a problem with the experience/education/intelligence/understanding level of many of the other people, then you are probably on the wrong forum, in my view, and should instead be concentrating on ones largely frequented by other people who also have "brains the size of a planet".

Above all, I think perhaps many of us need to consider a bit more carefully how things might come across, before we type them, and certainly some of us need to learn a bit more humility, I think.

Rant over. I'm sure I'll take some flak over this, but it's off my chest now, and I don't intend to get into a fight over the views I've just expressed.

Alan

Whilst I agree, in part, with Snibble's thoughts, I have learnt quite an amount from the discussions.

It has effectively increased my knowledge base, so in future, will have a greater chance of knowing what a a fault may be (whether I can fix the problem is another matter completely)

There will always be dis-agreement/difference of opinion with 'experts' but the 'mud slinging' has to stop.

I do think that an 'expert' in anything does not really exist. Having knowledge of a subject does not make an expert.

I heartily agree with you Alan,

frequent slanging matches have started at about the same time as several of the people I'm referring to became forum members

Yea, and one or two more established members have metamorphosised into trolls! I don't feel we can lay blame at any one door, and I can see the value in having such expertise at hand, but if your doctor insisted on showing off when he was talking to you then you wouldn't know what was wrong with you would you?

My point is that some parts of the forum are currently unusable for their original purpose and have become like Roman arenas with "My sword is bigger/sharper than yours" competitions.

You've just highlighted one of MY biggest problems, Keith - Verbosity!

You have just managed to say very much what I just have in about a tenth as many words, I think! (I haven't counted, before I get pulled up on that one! - I can count btw......).

Something else, I really must learn from others!

Alan

Technical arguments. The whole point is that the topics in question have not been technical arguments at all. I have spent a good part of my life in technical management, the occupation involved a lot of interaction and formal meetings between the people involved, there was often clashes of personality and wide differences of opinion on technical matters.

What we have had on this forum for a few months now are a couple of people who have probably been in some form of further education for a couple of years and picked up a level of scientific knowledge but their practical experience and life skills are close to nil. Indeed if any of those individuals had found themselves on a management or design team they would have lasted about two hours before finding themselves driving home with P45 in pocket.

What does surprise me a little is the amount of kudos they have managed to pick up in such a short time, I am not an electronics engineer but I know enough about the subject to recognise total trash when I see it, is there a single member on here who has had a problem solved or even partially solved by the folk in question.

Not normally good to give examples in these cases but in the latest case of an alternator apparently overheating, there have been a dozen 'wild eyed' suggestions as to why the system picked up this erroneous information. Not once was it said that perhaps the alternator is indeed overheating and the reason could well be a lack of a cooling airflow.

I think in future we should all be a little more sceptical when a 'Messiah' comes into our midst.

What we have had on this forum for a few months now are a couple of people who have probably been in some form of further education for a couple of years and picked up a level of scientific knowledge but their practical experience and life skills are close to nil. Indeed if any of those individuals had found themselves on a management or design team they would have lasted about two hours before finding themselves driving home with P45 in pocket.

John,

You clearly feel more strongly on this topic than most, but trying to take a balanced view, I actually think what you are saying is often not the case.

I haven't followed all those tortured threads, but I don't think we have necessarily learnt everything to know that there is about the day jobs, and industry or management experience of those people I assume you are talking about. You might be surprised if some did come back and tell you what their roles or responsibilities actually are, I think.

I worked for one of the largest multi-nationals for about 24 years, until "off-shoring" became the buzzword, and they thought they could do everything my area then did, on the Indian sub-continent, (but that's another story!....)

I have to say that the types of behaviours I've seen on here recently are very reminiscent of a lot of people who entered that company, and far from being shown the door, those people were regularly pushed higher up the management or "decision making" tree with great rapidity. Fortunately many of them did over time manage to learn some of the more practical skills, or indeed the interpersonal ones, that they seemed to lack at the outset. But equally many never really did. And it never seemed to make much difference - I can't remember any actually being asked to leave. (I'm sure from discussions with friends that this situation was in no way unique to that company).

:)

As an aside, it is not always an individuals fault, I believe if they end up in the "wrong place".

My company was always pushing me towards the "management" side, even though I was recognised as one of their most competent technicians, (sorry if that sounds arrogant - I'm usually fairly self-deprecating, and in fact was always being pulled up by them for not having enough "self worth", but did come to accept that I was the one most people always came to for real practical advice).

However, I was regularly forced to take on the more "managing" rather than "doing" roles, in order to meet their ideas of career development, (and to get paid more, of course !), but in my heart always knew I was being dragged from what I could really do into a role that others could often do better. Only in my swan-song years did I manage to fully relinquish staff responsibilities, whilst continuing to collect the same big big "wad" for what I actually felt really comfortable with doing. (Well at least it helped me buy a boat!....)

My Welsh Grandfather used to say 'I like a good argue' and although he only rose to the position of a humble platelayer on the GWR - he talked as if he knew better than anyone else about how to run a railway and, indeed, how to run the country. I am sure there were as many intense debates in those platelayers huts of old as there were in Westminster - and in some cases they may have made more sense.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with argument and debate as long as the contributors are honest about their own qualifications and experience and do not raise it to a level of personal insult. I am all for keeping the debates in the open - I enjoy reading the arguments and I can draw my own opinions from what is said.

OK, cut to the chase. The suggestion of an "expert panel" is not a serious suggestion, I am trying to provoke a debate on something which I PERSONALLY feel is a very negative trend. We all need perhaps, to set pride to one side and take a fresh look at our own attitudes. For instance.... There is a thread running about slowing a heating pump, talk about "wood for the trees"! totally top heavy with redundant maths and thermodynamic theory when all that is needed is common sense. Answering the original question has become irrelevant.

I think the debate and argument are a good thing and can be constructive, the houses of parliment have been doing this for years.

The technical knowledge and disagreement shouldnt be a problem either. So what if two people have differeing veiws about an alternator or some plumbing or whatever?

I too am in technical management and I too experience much debate over engineering issues with people of varying knowledge and experience. There is always ten ways to do things, and a different way is not necessarily the best. As John has pointed out, there is no place for personal insults.

Its the personal insults that are the problem as I see it. There are some people on here that are right up their own backsides, jumped-up-so-high-cant-get-down types. Instead of just disagreeing and passing on their own solution/idea etc. They have to deride everyone else, result to name calling and generally get everyones back up.

Its not technical argument its the fact that there are some 'orrible bstards.

Answering the original question has become irrelevant.

That is what often happens on many forums - it may happen more in our case because we spend a lot of time alone on the computer (especially at this time of the year when the boat gets bound in by necessary maintenance and stoppages) and use the forum to fulfil our need to interact with other beings. Years ago we would have just gone down the pub . . .

The comparison that has been made between the behaviour of some members of this forum and the robust exchanges that occur in Westminster is not really valid, many contributers would have been suspended by Mr Speaker for the use of un-parliamentary language.

Anyway that's just an excuse for imparting a story about prime minister Disraeli. The great man after a debate in the house with a truculent opposition MP declared.

"That man will die either on the gallows or of the pox". To which his opponent replied "That would depend on whether I embraced your principles or your wife"

My point is that there is nothing wrong with argument and debate as long as the contributors are honest about their own qualifications and experience and do not raise it to a level of personal insult. I am all for keeping the debates in the open - I enjoy reading the arguments and I can draw my own opinions from what is said.

This statement sums it up for me

Agreed. When I got my first boat I soon learned the hard way not to act on the advice of any so called expert until I had gathered several opinions from different sources. Of course I give advice to new boaters, but I always tell them to ask around and then make their own minds up.

Hi,

I actaully wrote and posted a reply to this yesterday, however, i then quickly retracted it, because me an allan felt it was best to let it run for a while, without interfering ourselfs, as the 'sitecrew' does sometimes affect how people read our posts agasint others. (this was around 11 yesterday)

As was goin to say earlyer, very much agree with alan finchers inital post, and i also now agree with grahams (NB Alnwick) commets.

I feel very strongly that there is NO place for personal insults or threats within threads. And that even if it is ment totaly harmlessly, members should be extremly carefull with what they post, as over the forum, the ability to mistake or misunderstand someone feelings is huge.

- And i think the other site crew would back me on the need for firm policies for repeat offenders.

But yes, in short, i think this post of grahams very neetly sums up my feelings too.

I Personaly feel exactly that

- Too enjoy a good disscuation. And as long as it doesnt get to a point of personal insults, feel there is a lot that all sides can learn.

- I also think its important that people a relativly transparent about there leval of knowlage. I do like to think i know what im talking about quite often. But i hope its fairly clear that im often only offering my thoughts and veiws, not nessarally laying down the law!

Daniel.

Also, for reference, and because it was breifly posted as post #12, here is what i wrote yesterday with a few minor alterations.

I think Alan shares very much the same feelings as i do.

- Its is certainly a great shame that the discussions lately have turning to what they seam to have, as snibble says, its a bloody disgrace.

- However, don’t feel that doing the whole thing via PM, talking to a pre-selected panel of persons would catch on, or work. Even if it did, it would negate the very purpose of the forum.

I take much pleasure in reading topics, even if they do not at the time relate to me, for instance, some of the past topics about starter motors. Before joining this forum i new little about how they worked. other than the basic mechanics of a springing motor, switched using a relay of sorts, that disengaged when the engine ran.

Most of the engines i'd worked on where either kick/recoil start, or had no problems with the starter.

- And certainly only engines i'd fully rebuilt where Yamaha fizzy 50s, a honda c90, and a number of GX160's (all engines from karting)

- I now, thought reading others threads, feel i know very much more about them and feel i could set about doing something sensible if one stopped working.

Similarly, there have been many 'experts' who have in the past given wrong information, either by a careless mistake, or lack of full understanding. However, the beauty of the forum is that then someone else can step in and add there 2p worth.

- In the past this worked well, people talked sensible about it, and if necessary if someone had initially made a mistake of some sort, then gone on to correct it, apologising if necessary. Why can we no longer do that!

Also, another major problem. Would be who is an "expert", and which/what field?

- I mean, am i an "expert" in electrical systems?

- I personally wouldn’t call myself and “expert”. However, I does that mean should no longer contribute to them? I still feel I have a lot to give to such topics. I dont have formal qualification in electrics (boat or otherwise) except maybe my A-level Physics, and a good mark in my electronics and electrical module last year. But I do a lot of experience, both onboard boats, and within houses. As well as reading much on forums as the like, which I can relay and point people at. So what goes?

I also started to compose a reply to this thread yesterday, but then Daniel and I agreed that it would be better to let the discussion run for a little longer before the site crew made an appearance. Thanks to Snibble for prompting a discussion in such a thought-provoking manner.

This discussion has been useful but has failed to come up with a "magic" answer to the problem. Probably there isn't one. I think we all agree that there is no place in this forum for personal insults, threatening language, and so on, and we are all disappointed at the way some threads have degenerated into such exchanges. Alan Fincher was quick to summarise the situation admirably and made some excellent points which seem to have found favour with most people here.

There is no reason why we should not enjoy a passionate but civilised debate on matters both technical and non-technical, as there are very few absolutely right or wrong answers in any field. I personally have learned a lot from the debates on subjects that I thought I already knew inside-out - yes, even Galvanic Isolators - and I cannot think of anywhere else that I would have acquired this knowledge. On topics where my knowledge is lacking, this forum is the best reference library that I know. I particularly like the breadth of knowledge which can appear unexpectedy when a topic veers slightly off course, as long as it doesn't go too far; it often answers questions that I didn't even know I needed to ask.

Problems particularly seem to occur when anyone considers themself to be so knowledgeable that they are not prepared to consider an alternative viewpoint from someone else, nor to respect that person's opinions. Everybody has a right to express their opinions, and should be encouraged to do so on this forum provided they are relevant and conform to the rules of the forum (which themselves embrace the prohibition of behaviour such as has recently forced us to close some threads).

As I see it we all have responsibilities which must be honoured:

Firstly, we have all agreed to abide by the rules of the forum, and it is our responsibility to do so even when this is difficult and requires us to exercise restraint or eat humble pie. If we don't like the rules we can seek to change them or else find another forum, but we must always respect them.

Secondly, the site crew have an additional responsibility to uphold the rules of the forum in a fair and effective manner. Perhaps we have not been sufficiently firm in exercising this responsibility. If so I would plead in mitigation that the dividing line is a grey area and that over-policing can be as bad as under-policing; it not only stifles open debate but can lead to a regime of censorship which is utterly unwarranted. My personal view however is that the time has come for us to apply a firmer hand and I propose the following for general discussion:

1. A moderator should at the first opportunity delete the entire content of any post which contains offensive, personally insulting, or threatening language, replacing it by a standardised notice which states only that the text has been deleted for contravening the rules of the forum.

2. The writer of any such post will be informed by the moderator precisely why the text has been deleted.

3. Three strikes and you're out! Anyone who has more than 3 posts deleted within, say, a year in this way would be referred to the forum owner who may ultimately choose to ban them from the forum.

How would people react to this? Is it too heavy handed? Is it fair?

Allan

I also started to compose a reply to this thread yesterday, but then Daniel and I agreed that it would be better to let the discussion run for a little longer before the site crew made an appearance. Thanks to Snibble for prompting a discussion in such a thought-provoking manner.

This discussion has been useful but has failed to come up with a "magic" answer to the problem. Probably there isn't one. I think we all agree that there is no place in this forum for personal insults, threatening language, and so on, and we are all disappointed at the way some threads have degenerated into such exchanges. Alan Fincher was quick to summarise the situation admirably and made some excellent points which seem to have found favour with most people here.

There is no reason why we should not enjoy a passionate but civilised debate on matters both technical and non-technical, as there are very few absolutely right or wrong answers in any field. I personally have learned a lot from the debates on subjects that I thought I already knew inside-out - yes, even Galvanic Isolators - and I cannot think of anywhere else that I would have acquired this knowledge. On topics where my knowledge is lacking, this forum is the best reference library that I know. I particularly like the breadth of knowledge which can appear unexpectedy when a topic veers slightly off course, as long as it doesn't go too far; it often answers questions that I didn't even know I needed to ask.

Problems particularly seem to occur when anyone considers themself to be so knowledgeable that they are not prepared to consider an alternative viewpoint from someone else, nor to respect that person's opinions. Everybody has a right to express their opinions, and should be encouraged to do so on this forum provided they are relevant and conform to the rules of the forum (which themselves embrace the prohibition of behaviour such as has recently forced us to close some threads).

Firstly, we have all agreed to abide by the rules of the forum, and it is our responsibility to do so even when this is difficult and requires us to exercise restraint or eat humble pie. If we don't like the rules we can seek to change them or else find another forum, but we must always respect them.

Secondly, the site crew have an additional responsibility to uphold the rules of the forum in a fair and effective manner. Perhaps we have not been sufficiently firm in exercising this responsibility. If so I would plead in mitigation that the dividing line is a grey area and that over-policing can be as bad as under-policing; it not only stifles open debate but can lead to a regime of censorship which is utterly unwarranted. My personal view however is that the time has come for us to apply a firmer hand and I propose the following for general discussion:

1. A moderator should at the first opportunity delete the entire content of any post which contains offensive, personally insulting, or threatening language, replacing it by a standardised notice which states only that the text has been deleted for contravening the rules of the forum.

2. The writer of any such post will be informed by the moderator precisely why the text has been deleted.

3. Three strikes and you're out! Anyone who has more than 3 posts deleted within, say, a year in this way would be referred to the forum owner who may ultimately choose to ban them from the forum.

Allan

Speaking as one of the people who have been involved in the last spat of nonsense (for which I apologise to almost everyone for behaving like a total mud-weight), this approach would seem to be entirely fair and reasonable.

Allan

FAIR

Allan

Thanks for kind words about a previous post - I've been surprised to get only support, and no complaints (so far!).

I guess the only thing that could make your proposal hard to police, is that it puts a lot of onus on the moderators to decide what is "offensive, personally insulting, or threatening".

Is somebody telling me I'm probably incapable of understanding the arguments in a particular debate "personally insulting"? I think it probably is, on balance, and it's actually up to other readers to make up their own mind whether I'm capable of understanding, or not.

I would also expect the policy to extend to things like some in the past that pre-date the current spats. Referring to "gippos", or saying that "no Scouser can be trusted", for example.

But other than the provisos I've just made, I agree entirely.

Alan

Thanks for kind words about a previous post - I've been surprised to get only support, and no complaints (so far!).

I guess the only thing that could make your proposal hard to police, is that it puts a lot of onus on the moderators to decide what is "offensive, personally insulting, or threatening".

Is somebody telling me I'm probably incapable of understanding the arguments in a particular debate "personally insulting"? I think it probably is, on balance, and it's actually up to other readers to make up their own mind whether I'm capable of understanding, or not.

I would also expect the policy to extend to things like some in the past that pre-date the current spats. Referring to "gippos", or saying that "no Scouser can be trusted", for example.

But other than the provisos I've just made, I agree entirely.

Alan

I still remember the scouser comment, and likewise would expect the policy to extend to such things.