Southern Oxford Canal Despair- Part 1

me2u

Featured Posts

Anybody in this forum know the owner of the black springer narrowboat that was loosely tied/ abandoned right under Enslow Bridge no: 216 on Wednesday last. Yet another example of the "could'nt give a F" for anybody else on the waterway ! Just one example of the sad practice of mooring near a road access on blind bends, below and above locks which gets worse the closer you get to Oxford.

Anybody in this forum know the owner of the black springer narrowboat that was loosely tied/ abandoned right under Enslow Bridge no: 216 on Wednesday last. Yet another example of the "could'nt give a F" for anybody else on the waterway ! Just one example of the sad practice of mooring near a road access on blind bends, below and above locks which gets worse the closer you get to Oxford.

If it was blocking navigation you should report it to CRT and they can remove it. If it not blocking navigation then is it really such a big deal? Mooring on lock landings or water points seems a more heinous crime to me!

I passed it on Monday heading north to Lower Heyford. Approaching it from the south, it appeared to block the bridge'ole, but it wasn't hard to sidle past on tick over. I wouldn't tie in that length, but I'm not aware of the circumstances that occasioned the owner to tie there. Keep calm and learn to steer!

Heading south on Sunday, I passed Nutwood, one of my lettering jobs many years ago. The owner put a wonderful notice in his window....

" Considerate souls slow down when passing boats. Some are souls who don't!!"

Cheers

Dave

Don't be put off me2u.

Being a new poster on here is like throwing a slice of bread in the canal.

Lots of annoying bites but not from anything worth fishing for.

Boaters such as you describe certainly annoy me.

• Greenie 1

Please supply the boat name and index number, if you want us to locate/find the owner.

I passed a boat once, it had drifted out one end. I stopped, pulled it in and tied it up.

Forgot to tell anyone until now..

We, together with Lonewolf, mounted a rescue operation once when a neighbouring vacant narrowboat came completely adrift and ended up on the offside, gently moving along the canal away from where the owners had left it rather poorly tied up. LW untied the front of her boat and allowed it to drift across the canal while Dave stood on the gunnels and mounted said errant boat. Grabbing the ropes he jumped back aboard LW's boat and between them they got the escapee back to its mooring and LW kindly donated a nappy pin to secure it properly.

We were out when the owners returned - I often wonder what they thought when they found unfamiliar knots and a new to them nappy pin. We were just pleased that they didn't return to find a space where their boat should have been - it was moving very slowly but it could have ended up a mile or so up the cut on the wrong side by the time they returned.

It's what you do isn't it?

We passed this boat last week and it is tied up but in a very bad position for navigation. Coming from the south it looks as if it completely obstructs the bridge hole, also due to the vegetation on the offside, the angle of approach is awkward. If it had been adrift we would have tied it up, as we have done to other boats in the past.

David

Is it tied to the towpath side or the off side?

I think it's unlikely to be the pub landlord's Springer as he is a fairly responsible boater, and generally moors it on his pub landing stage on the right immediately through the bridge 'ole.

MtB

Hi Mike

It was tied on the towpath side on Monday, not particularly well as I recall. Just why someone would tie in such a spot I can't guess, but I've observed lots of strange behaviour on the cut on many occasions. From a distance it seemed to obstruct the bridge, but on nearing it, there was plenty of room.

Cheers

Dave