Jugs

the barnacle

Featured Posts

I think you may be confusing what modern 'historic' boats do with what was done in the past

Yes, drinking water. One can, with a hinged lid

Richard

i think your right, i have seen some boats with 3 / 4 cans on he top and wondered why - i guess it following the tradition of a water jug, makes sense now i think of it, Steve

I think you may be confusing what modern 'historic' boats do with what was done in the past

Yes, drinking water. One can, with a hinged lid

Richard

I actually saw one being used at Braunston, when the steerer dipped a glass into it and drank it. First time I have ever seen it.

Very often two cans.

Tim

Or even more.

Look at this photo from 1969 I just put in another thread.

As well as 3 cans on the butty "Lucy" the Whitlocks also have the trademark plastic water carrier that seems to appear in many photos of them.

It is interesting how many purists say the mop must be on the cans, as well. I I don't think you got much more purist than Rose Whitlpck, and here the mop on the butty is on the roof!

The motor's short shaft is also where people keep telling me mine should not be!

Photo: Phil Quick

Renfrew_and_Lucy_1.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

thanks for te replies - Alan it was that picture that got me thinking - i also would of thought they would be to big to use just for drinking water?

Washing. washing up, cooking too.

thanks for te replies - Alan it was that picture that got me thinking - i also would of thought they would be to big to use just for drinking water?

It is the total water supply, not just drinking water.

So drinking, cooking, washing, washing up, etc, (unless canal water was used for any of this).

There is no other water supply, and a 2 or 3 gallon can isn't a lot of water for the needs of whole families, is it?

thanks, i would also think it was kept on the roof for easy filling rather than having the fumble about in the boat.

There would,'t conceivably be space to have one in the cabin.

Though I understand that maybe sometimes a miniature can was used inside for drinking water, but I don't think that was likely to have been widespread?

Hi

As I understand it, the water cans were kept in front of the chimney so that kettles/ saucepans could be filled while under way and placed on the range close to the steerer's feet, the important thing was to " get 'em ahead ", in other words not stopping needlessly. Certainly for a right hander it's a sensible placement. They were refilled from canal side taps, in much the same way as modern boats water up. I've just finished decorating one for a customer, along with a cabin stool.

Cheers

Dave

Ps. Just re-read previous posts. Some boats carried a " cabin can " a smaller 1 gallon variety, that was used in icy conditions and kept in the cabin when the larger ones on the cabin top may freeze.

Edited by dave moore

It is interesting how many purists say the mop must be on the cans, as well. I I don't think you got much more purist than Rose Whitlpck, and here the mop on the butty is on the roof!

The motor's short shaft is also where people keep telling me mine should not be!

I have to say that the mop 'looks right' when on the can handles, with the top handle resting on top. May just be the way I was indoctrinated wink.png

Where else would you put the cabin shaft? Looks fair enough to me.

Tim

I have to say that the mop 'looks right' when on the can handles, with the top handle resting on top. May just be the way I was indoctrinated wink.png

I guess if you have three cans, as in that picture, the mop sits less well.

I find it "works" with a mix of 3 gallon & 2 gallon can, but it has never struck me as that practical that you have to keep moving the mop to actually get any water.