My battery exploded!

ETS Jess

Featured Posts

Sorry to butt in and go off topic but being trying to send you a pm Mike, but keeps saying you can't recieve any more messages????

This is insane, I cleared out a load of old messages from my inbox a couple of weeks ago when someone said the same!

I think I'd better just delete EVERYTHING...

I came up to say 'hello' several times while I was at Merry Hill but could never see anyone on your mooring behind the combination coded gate whose attention I could attract...

MtB

This is insane, I cleared out a load of old messages from my inbox a couple of weeks ago when someone said the same!

I think I'd better just delete EVERYTHING...

I came up to say 'hello' several times while I was at Merry Hill but could never see anyone on your mooring behind the combination coded gate whose attention I could attract...

MtB

Yeah, sorry Mike, had to go to Salford unexpectedly and couldn't get in touch with you to let you know. Apologies if I appeared ignorant, but can't get this site on my phone so couldn't send you a message

Modesty and leopard skin y-fronts make strange bed fellows.blush.png

Twas "funny ha ha" presentn from SWMBO. Being a tight fisted Aberdonion I just had to get the use of them. After all, who would ever see them!!

Had you shot the leopard yourself?

MtB

Leopard Skin print. .

Edited by Radiomariner

• 4 weeks later...

Update

We managed to send the Sterling Charger back to Sterling and guess what! They found it to be Faulty!! They said there was a whole batch of that model that was faulty, however they said they wouldn't repair it, and because its out of warrantee they couldn't replace it. I'm not sure if they ever tried to re-call their faulty chargers or not, but this one slipped through the net if they did. Oh well. £290 for a replacement - i'm currently running one while the other is on trickle charge on a car battery charger then swapping them.

On my old MAN horsebox I has 2 x 12v wired up to provide 24v. I had to jump start it one day and wasn't sure which if the 4 terminals to connect the jump leads to, so I had a guess. As I connected the second lead there was an almighty bang that threw me back off my feet. I've seen a few IED's go bang in real life and I can honestly say I shat my pants just as much at the exploding battery.

Anyway I guessed wrong and the battery shrapnel was spread over about 10m and I was covered in the contents of the battery. Luckily it was winter and I had several layers on, as the acid rapidly started eating through my clothes.

I'm proper scared of batteries now and whenever I need to connect something to them now I brace myself and shut my eyes.

Edited by junior

We've had negligent folk here had there boats batteries explode mainly by lack of maintenance. We have a chap here at the moment who I've warned twice! to check and top up his batteries as he says they've never been checked, and I know who the previous owner was who I'm almost certain probably didn't even know where the batteries were or even what they look like.

I, a few years ago was welding a cars under frame for the MOT when BANG!!!! a spark flew across a battery that I had forgotten was on charge nearby. The acid deluged the customers car which I instantly hosed down with water, luckily there was no paint damage whatsoever. The customer was a little puzzled as to why I'd washed his car down for him at no charge, I just said oh just part of the service with a smile.png and his car passed the test.

I didn't charge him for the battery that blew up.

Update

We managed to send the Sterling Charger back to Sterling and guess what! They found it to be Faulty!! They said there was a whole batch of that model that was faulty, however they said they wouldn't repair it, and because its out of warrantee they couldn't replace it. I'm not sure if they ever tried to re-call their faulty chargers or not, but this one slipped through the net if they did. Oh well. £290 for a replacement - i'm currently running one while the other is on trickle charge on a car battery charger then swapping them.

I am so glad that I don't use Sterling kit. Be damned to whether it's in warranty or not, they've admitted it was not of merchantable quality and they owe you your money back.

In your place I'd be straight on to Trading Standards.

ETA: have just retread thread and realised it wasn't your purchase. So no choice but to curse. Still pretty shoddy of Sterling though. They might have offered you a deal as they've admitted it was a duff charger. In fact an ambulance chaser would probably advise you to sue for distress, inconvenience and the price of Andy's trousers.

But it would be more hassle than it's worth, tbh.

Edited by BruceinSanity

Hi ETS Jess, again I find mysef reccomending Electroquest chargers, do everything that Sterling does but for a lot less pennies. (No connection to Electroquest)

Phil

Me three.

Mine has been fitted over a year now and keeps the batteries happy.

The five I've fitted to other boats are all working as expected too :)

Hi ETS Jess, again I find mysef reccomending Electroquest chargers, do everything that Sterling does but for a lot less pennies. (No connection to Electroquest)

Phil

I just bought 1 of these Electroquest battery chargers, & the button for changing the display & doing stuff doesnt work & looks like it has fallen apart, very flimsy indeed. Just waiting them to answer my email which I only sent today.

https://electroquestuk.com/products/battery-chargers/leisure-battery-chargers-marine-battery-chargers/fully-automatic-5-stage-marine-battery-charger-12v-30a.html

fully-automatic-5-stage-marine-battery-c

I just bought 1 of these Electroquest battery chargers, & the button for changing the display & doing stuff doesnt work & looks like it has fallen apart, very flimsy indeed. Just waiting them to answer my email which I only sent today.

https://electroquestuk.com/products/battery-chargers/leisure-battery-chargers-marine-battery-chargers/fully-automatic-5-stage-marine-battery-charger-12v-30a.html

fully-automatic-5-stage-marine-battery-c

Looks like you are very unlucky, mine has been on 24/7 for the last 12 years.

Phil