Broadband - wifi - iPads

Tinkerbell1

Featured Posts

I've been talking to Bizzard about how one can get Broadband afloat - but he's confused me with his bizzard like techno ideas! :) Bless him.

I understand inorder to get wifi, you need broadband connection. Generally this is done through BT landline or other. Obviously not an easy thing to come by on the river!

I have an iPad Air but can only get a good reception when connected to wifi.

Does anyone have any bright ideas to help me out please?

Tink !

I've been talking to Bizzard about how one can get Broadband afloat - but he's confused me with his bizzard like techno ideas! :) Bless him.

I understand inorder to get wifi, you need broadband connection. Generally this is done through BT landline or other. Obviously not an easy thing to come by on the river!

Does anyone have any bright ideas to help me out please?

Tink !

You get your broadband connection on a boat by first using something that connects to the internet over the phone network and then connecting your iPad to it wirelessly in the same way you would connect to a wireless router at home.

Connecting to the internet over the phone network requires a dongle, a mi-Fi device or a smartphone capable of allowing its internet connection to be used by other devices.

For an iPad user a dongle is no go on it's own.

Best options are to use a mi-fi device or a phone which allows it's connection to the internet to be shared.

Edited by The Dog House

I have 3 wifi it works fine with Samsung Tablet and Laptop

Hi John - thanks for getting back to me. Excuse my ignorance, new to all of this really .... I have t-mobile dongle but the connecting USB port will not connect to the iPad - is that the same as your three wifi - can i ask where you got it from?

Tink

You get your broadband connection on a boat by first using something that connects to the internet over the phone network and then connecting your iPad to it wirelessly in the same way you would connect to a wireless router at home.

Connecting to the internet over the phone network requires a dongle, a mi-Fi device or a smartphone capable of allowing its internet connection to be used by other devices.

For an iPad user a dongle is no go on it's own.

Best options are to use a mi-fi device or a phone which allows it's connection to the internet to be shared.

Hi Martin - many thanks - you've kinda done a Bizzard on me and lost me! I'm hearing about devices that are completely alien to me but, will do my best to wade through it.

T

Hi John - thanks for getting back to me. Excuse my ignorance, new to all of this really .... I have t-mobile dongle but the connecting USB port will not connect to the iPad - is that the same as your three wifi - can i ask where you got it from?

Tink

Hi Martin - many thanks - you've kinda done a Bizzard on me and lost me! I'm hearing about devices that are completely alien to me but, will do my best to wade through it.

T

I did try to break it down into as simple steps as possible.

Breaking it down even more - just get the device Paul C linked to.

But I would just add get the staff to set it up in store for you before you leave.

Thank you Paul - this seems promising ....

I brought a Huawei E5776 Mifi through Orange, we now connect both iPads to it and it has so far proved to work well.

Thank yo - I just checked out Paul C's link and it sounds like the same thing ....

I did try to break it down into as simple steps as possible.

Breaking it down even more - just get the device Paul C linked to.

But I would just add get the staff to set it up in store for you before you leave.

Great stuff - think I've got it now and thanks for the tip

• Greenie 1

Hi Tinkerbell

Interesting wording.

All of the above posts, plus:

Ask nearby boaters which network works best in your area.

Take the iPad to the mobile phone shop of the network with the best signal in your area.

Based on your wording I would ask the following - "Does this iPad accept a sim card, or do I need to buy a mifi device to get internet access when out and about."

Regards

Steve (Eeyore)

Edited by Eeyore

What I have is a 3 wifi and allows you to connect up to 5 different devices at the same time it costs £18 per month for 25Gb per month. I do sometimes use my phone to tether but under my new contract for my phone this is limited to 3Gb per month but between the 2 it does give me 23Gb per month, use of the Internet on my phone is all you can eat hope that all makes sense

Hi Tinkerbell

Interesting wording.

All of the above posts, plus:

Ask nearby boaters which network works best in your area.

Take the iPad to the mobile phone shop of the network with the best signal in your area.

Based on your wording I would ask the following - "Does this iPad accept a sim card, or do I need to buy a mifi device to get internet access when out and about."

Regards

Steve (Eeyore)

Good idea, but even if the iPad can accept a SIM card, being in a boat it will be a couple of feet lower down, and in a metal box. A mifi dongle can be positioned high up, or more advanced models can accept an external aerial. So its possible that weak (but acceptable) signal from a Mi-Fi in a location, would give no/intermittent signal on your lap.

Good idea, but even if the iPad can accept a SIM card, being in a boat it will be a couple of feet lower down, and in a metal box. A mifi dongle can be positioned high up, or more advanced models can accept an external aerial. So its possible that weak (but acceptable) signal from a Mi-Fi in a location, would give no/intermittent signal on your lap.

Good point.

I have an iPhone on a 3 all you can eat package. I connect to my ipad using Bluetooth and turn on my personal hotspot. Works most of the time on phone and IPlayer. No dongle.

I reckon that's the simplest way, if you are 'all Apple' - doesn't require any extra kit, which is nice.

I used to have laptop with dongle, was only acceptable really, couldn't recommend.

I now have an iPad mini which I got on contract from orange. I pay £22 per month, for 2gb. Obviously most of cost is to pay for the pad.

I would say the built in SIM works very well ..much better speed and holds connection better than the dongle.

Don't live aboard so I just buy a bundle to top up if we are on board for longer than a fortnight.

You need a 3 mifi, £60 but dont get a contract as 3 will keep taking money and phone you from india at all hours, just put your 3 usb sim in and buy vouchers from the garage. 3 I find is the best for boats, you can even get xbox live at a decent speed, but 3 broadband as a company are awful

You need a 3 mifi, £60 but dont get a contract as 3 will keep taking money and phone you from india at all hours, just put your 3 usb sim in and buy vouchers from the garage. 3 I find is the best for boats, you can even get xbox live at a decent speed, but 3 broadband as a company are awful

Been with 3 for about 4 years and never had any issues of any kind, no phone calls in fact zilch. I have a rolling monthly contract which costs me £12 a month for 5 gigs so I reckon a contract is the way to go.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

• 2 weeks later...

Been with 3 for about 4 years and never had any issues of any kind, no phone calls in fact zilch. I have a rolling monthly contract which costs me £12 a month for 5 gigs so I reckon a contract is the way to go.

Phil

Phil if your just talking about internet data, you may need to contact 3, I use to buy voucher payg £25 for 7gb, Ive just got a rolling monthly contract £15 for 10gb.

What I have is a 3 wifi and allows you to connect up to 5 different devices at the same time it costs £18 per month for 25Gb per month. I do sometimes use my phone to tether but under my new contract for my phone this is limited to 3Gb per month but between the 2 it does give me 23Gb per month, use of the Internet on my phone is all you can eat hope that all makes sense

Is this a long contract, as seems very good for the money,

at the mo I've got 2 sims, 10gb each,which cost me £30 in total of 20g

Are you saying you get 25 gb for £18? That's a good deal!

I seem to be eating data at the mo, wife and I both got tablets, and trying not to go over data per sim, which I've just had capped, as very very expensive if you go over the 10gb plan,transferring sims at the right time etc is bothersome

Is the 25gb for £18 still available??

Col

Edited by bigcol

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read the whole thread again and not sure what has been written but may not be relevant.

I mentioned on here a couple of months ago that I was to leave orange to join 3. I was seduced by a nice lady who promised me the earth, nothing new there, and I have nothing but idle promises almost on a daily basis. They also didn't tell me that voice mails would cost me .35p each. Sim Only apparently.

Yesterday whilst in Banbury, on impulse, I signed up to 3 the One Plan and just now have activated my sim. Okay it costs me £5 a month more but what a difference in speed. Well chuffed, mind only been on line ten minutes.

The One Plan ceases on or about 14th July. No longer offered. Those on the contract will not lose the service it will continue, those on a month to month might lose it. It will be restricted to 5 GB? Seems a lot of data. It would seem wise if you are on a month to month jobby to sign up to a 12 month contract. If you have a phone included in your deal, I think the above is irrelevant.

Worth checking.

Martyn

I brought a Huawei E5776 Mifi through Orange, we now connect both iPads to it and it has so far proved to work well.

I've got one of these on EE 4G and it is good except every so often it won't let me access Canalword as it says unsuitable content!

The One Plan ceases on or about 14th July. No longer offered. Those on the contract will not lose the service it will continue, those on a month to month might lose it. It will be restricted to 5 GB? Seems a lot of data. It would seem wise if you are on a month to month jobby to sign up to a 12 month contract. If you have a phone included in your deal, I think the above is irrelevant.

Out of interest, got a web link for that?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I've got one of these on EE 4G and it is good except every so often it won't let me access Canalword as it says unsuitable content!

I used to get this when I was on orange. Their adult content filtering picks up on 'anal' and thinks its something dodgy. You can turn the filtering off I think over the net now or when we had it we had to ring customer services .

Edited by The Dog House

Out of interest, got a web link for that?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

sadly no, as I did the deed in a shop in Banbury. Even the sales guy I was talking to thought it had already finished. A more senior or knowledgable chap directed me to this short to survive deal.

As always you don't really know what goes on behind the scenes in these telecom companies.

http://www.three.co.uk/ThreePortal/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223590564159&ssbinary=true

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

• 2 weeks later...

I have an iPhone on a 3 all you can eat package. I connect to my ipad using Bluetooth and turn on my personal hotspot. Works most of the time on phone and IPlayer. No dongle.

Which is exactly what I do for a cost of £30 a month all inclusive for calls and data.