Batteries don't appear to be charging

David W

Featured Posts

It still seems economically and environmentally 'wrong' to have to run the engine for hours and hours every day even with (say) 3 x 80a alternators)

I agree boating does not mean having to 'live in the dark ages' (I have my low wattage deep fat fryer, toaster and small oven/grill) but a boat is not a floating house with unlimited utilities.

There are now viable alternatives to producing electricity, but - hey ho - each to their own.

Thanks for (some of) your comments folks.

Whilst I understand that some of you balk in horror at the thought of change and advancement, there are some of us who embrace technology. If you want to sh*t in a bucket and wash in a tin bath, that's up to you. I have no wish to live like that.

I have a 1200Ah battery bank and have most modern conveniences you would have in a house. Just because I live on a boat does not mean I have to live in the dark ages. But then I live on a widebeam on the Thames AND I have a pump out toilet - not sure it even can be classified as a boat according to some definitions on here.

As it turns out, the issue is that my alternator isn't big enough.

I must take issue with your comments about shitting in buckets and using tin baths. I think you will find most of us who live aboard and have done so for a number of years have adapted our life style to living on a boat.

In my case I have gas C/H a full size undercounter 12v fridge, ditto freezer, a washing machine, a tumble dryer, in fact all the amenities that we had in our house.

We do not shit in buckets nor do we use a tin bath but we do manage our power without having to run bleating to the forum.

Phil

• Greenie 3

I must take issue with your comments about shitting in buckets and using tin baths. I think you will find most of us who live aboard and have done so for a number of years have adapted our life style to living on a boat.

In my case I have gas C/H a full size undercounter 12v fridge, ditto freezer, a washing machine, a tumble dryer, in fact all the amenities that we had in our house.

We do not shit in buckets nor do we use a tin bath but we do manage our power without having to run bleating to the forum.

Phil

I think you missed the point of my comments.

We too have 12v everything as much as we can, and have made significant adjustments to the way we live. I won't explain it to you any further as my continued "bleating" may irritate you as much as your misplaced sanctimoniousness has me.

I think you missed the point of my comments.

We too have 12v everything as much as we can, and have made significant adjustments to the way we live. I won't explain it to you any further as my continued "bleating" may irritate you as much as your misplaced sanctimoniousness has me.

I made no mention of CONTINUED bleating and in no way was I being sanctimonious, just telling it as it is. I might add your attitude is not endearing you to the people you have come to for help.

Phil

• Greenie 1

Whilst I understand that some of you balk in horror at the thought of change and advancement, there are some of us who embrace technology. If you want to sh*t in a bucket and wash in a tin bath, that's up to you. I have no wish to live like that.

I have a 1200Ah battery bank and have most modern conveniences you would have in a house. Just because I live on a boat does not mean I have to live in the dark ages. But then I live on a widebeam on the Thames AND I have a pump out toilet - not sure it even can be classified as a boat according to some definitions on here.

With the greatest of respect, although the alternator could be bigger (amps) you neeed to adjust your lifestyle a little more.

Only run the 'big' items when engine running at more than tick over and or get a generator and a decent three stage charger. (see second link, " what size charger")

A little reading, to help you in understanding batteries and the charging thereof.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/

and with no connection other than a customer, may I suggest, as has been before, you obtain a Smartgauge.

Dependant on how old your batteries are, you may have nowhere near 1200AH capacity, that is usable.

How often,and how long do you charge up the batteries?

Advice given to fit a Smart Gauge is very good, fit one, let it settle down for a few days, of normal use,and charging.

You may be very suprised at the result! But remember the Smart Gauge will tell it as it is! Like the result, or not.

Bod

I don't know what the world is coming to.

When we started a bucket for a loo, camp beds with sleeping bags in the canvas covered hold were the norm and you could always cuddle the horse to warm up.......

Nowadays folks come one here for help with:-

Air conditioning

50" colour TVs with automatic aerials

DIshwashers,

Washing machines

Electric cookers

underfloor heating

and so on and on.

All the above with a couple of 115 amphour leisure batteries.

Sheesh!!

With respect, its a bit of an exaggeration, I don't think there's that many forum threads on air conditioning and underfloor heating. And those few people who do have electric cookers, aren't trying to run them from 2x 115Ah batteries.

A larger alternator doesn't necessarily solve the problem, it just masks it. What you need, is to know how much power goes into, and comes out from, the battery. Yes you're nearer (or possibly now) matching charged energy to discharged energy, but if you don't understand batteries, and/or don't have a decent battery monitor, its still guessing. Done the power audit to check all is okay? And alternators are famously rubbish at putting the last remaining amount of charge into a battery - eg from 95% to 100%. This is where solar is so good, and where (because they're left hooked up for ever) shoreline makes it a non-issue. Obviously one doesn't run the engine 24/7 and the last trickle of a few amps is a waste of diesel, but lengthens the battery life.

Phil

Harsh & uncalled for. The OP asked about batteries, then got grief for having mod cons. You have mod cons & a few years experience so you have a go at the OP for not having your years of experience & knowledge.

I guess all your knowledge you was born with & had no need to ask on the forum.

• Greenie 1

Harsh & uncalled for. The OP asked about batteries, then got grief for having mod cons. You have mod cons & a few years experience so you have a go at the OP for not having your years of experience & knowledge.

Not harsh at all, read the thread in its entirety, my issue was with his shit in a bucket and wash in a tin bath remarks. In post 5 I seconded the advice to get some means of monitoring his charging, this I think is advice. What advice have you offered?

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 1

Dependant on how old your batteries are, you may have nowhere near 1200AH capacity, that is usable.

How often,and how long do you charge up the batteries?

Advice given to fit a Smart Gauge is very good, fit one, let it settle down for a few days, of normal use,and charging.

You may be very suprised at the result! But remember the Smart Gauge will tell it as it is! Like the result, or not.

Bod

And if we are to follow the 50% SOC theory you get down to 600AH (when new) useable capacity which seems out of sync with what the OP is expecting to power.

I agree with some of the others to be quite frank. If you want to use this sort of power for these sort of appliances then living on a boat is perhaps not the best option. When living afloat you have to accept that certain things are not the same as living in bricks and mortar, energy supply is one of them.

Well said. Greeny to you sir.

Bob

Like I said to Ssscruddy, read the whole thread.

Phil

Phil,

What I took issue with was that the OP came to the forum as a fairly new poster and several people I felt were less than supportive. The guy wanted advice some folk started to belittle him for wanting the comforts of life on his boat. I know some of it was fun/friendly banter, but others seemed a bit harsh.

I have met boaters who get quite sneering at anyone who has 240V on their boat. It's the 21st century and you don't have to live like it was the middle of the 20th.

Bob

Phil,

What I took issue with was that the OP came to the forum as a fairly new poster and several people I felt were less than supportive. The guy wanted advice some folk started to belittle him for wanting the comforts of life on his boat. I know some of it was fun/friendly banter, but others seemed a bit harsh.

I have met boaters who get quite sneering at anyone who has 240V on their boat. It's the 21st century and you don't have to live like it was the middle of the 20th.

Bob

Bob I have said on this forum so many times "we may live on a boat but we aint camping" I offered the advice in post 5 that getting some means of monitoring his power, made no mention of his chosen equipment, that is his chose BUT I took exception to his shit in a bucket and wash in a tin bath remark. I suspect I have almost as much if not an equal amount of 240v stuff.

The dfference is I manage my power and monitor my domestic bank. I would have expected the OP to ask about monitoring not make disparaging remarks about buckets and tin baths.

Phil

• Greenie 1

Phil,

Bob

I think the OP is the only person on this thread who has been a bit harsh!

Phil,

Bob

I think the OP is the only person on this thread who has been a bit harsh!

Ok, you're right. But he is new, hopefully he'll learn.

Bob

Edited by lyraboat

Sorry I didn't word that very well, I meant what is charging the battery?

Phil

Nothing.

I'm trying to bring the volts down as these have been in my garage for a few months so I'm trying to charge all 4 6v batteries together with this gel 24v charger I have for them.

I don't know how they got up to 16.6 volts as they have been stood for ages.