Strawberry Island moorings

redfastlad

Featured Posts

Has anyone any experiance of the Strawberry Island boat club and its moorings? i have tried via email to obtain information on moorings and also what facilitys are available, if anyone could help i would appreciate.

For what it's worth we have met a number of boaters who are very happy there.......

Seems a nice place to moor when we have passed too..

what a lovely name, where is this please? Thankee

Strawberry island is on the Don navigation just North of Doncaster.

The 'Island' is made up from a former course of the navigation including an old lock which deviates from the course of the current main navigation.

I don't know where it's name originates but possibly somebody on here may do.

Thanks, guess could have googled for myself, never thought, do not use computer much for hunting info---comes of being a book person in my past. I will endeavour to do better.

Thats impressive how that link worked.

Edited by patty-ann

Thanks, guess could have googled for myself, never thought, do not use computer much for hunting info---comes of being a book person in my past. I will endeavour to do better.

Thats impressive how that link worked.

This is a 'snip' taken from Google earth and nicely shows why it's referred to as an 'Island'. The main navigation is now the straight bit to the left but the curved bit to the right where there are loads of boats moored end on is the former course of the navigation.

DYMweTV.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

We stayed there for 10 days a couple of years ago. They didn't answer my emails either but met a member at Sykehouse who said it would be OK to use their mooring as they would be away and to just introduce ourselves at the clubhouse.

Very good pint served as well!

I am out with friends who moor at Strawberry Island, so I asked them. There are apparently two sets of moorings. One set managed by the boat club and one set which are managed privately. I don't think it matters why, but I understand that it involved differences between individuals. They say that there is less formality and restrictions placed upon the private managed moorings. Therefore greater freedom to do your own thing with and on your boats. Otherwise its a pretty homogeneous arrangement where everyone it seems, rubs along together. You would be very hard pressed to find any demarcation lines between the two because the bounderies are quite blurred.