Chesterfield Canal

bigray

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post so if needs moving then please do so. I live in Retford about 5 minutes walk from the Chesterfield Canal. Unfortunately I have no chance of affording a boat (although i'd love one) but have hire them for holidays and a friend used to have on small cruiser on the Stainforth Canal so I do have some very limited experience.

The reason for this post is two fold. Firstly I have just taken the role of fishing bailiff on the Stretch from West Retford Bridge to Clayworth. With this in mind if anyone experiences any issues with anglers in that area please send me a message. I appreciate that boaters and anglers don't always get one but as someone who enjoys both sides i've always thought that a little mutual respect and consideration is in everyone's benefit. I have had experience of very considerate boaters and some that were deliberately inconsiderate and also the same with anglers.

The Second reason for the post is that if anyone is going through the area especially from Whitsunday pie lock to the West Retford lock and wants a hand or some local knowledge then please get in touch. I'll always help if I can. Sound a bit sad but I love being around the water and boats.

• Greenie 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post so if needs moving then please do so. I live in Retford about 5 minutes walk from the Chesterfield Canal. Unfortunately I have no chance of affording a boat (although i'd love one) but have hire them for holidays and a friend used to have on small cruiser on the Stainforth Canal so I do have some very limited experience.

The reason for this post is two fold. Firstly I have just taken the role of fishing bailiff on the Stretch from West Retford Bridge to Clayworth. With this in mind if anyone experiences any issues with anglers in that area please send me a message. I appreciate that boaters and anglers don't always get one but as someone who enjoys both sides i've always thought that a little mutual respect and consideration is in everyone's benefit. I have had experience of very considerate boaters and some that were deliberately inconsiderate and also the same with anglers.

The Second reason for the post is that if anyone is going through the area especially from Whitsunday pie lock to the West Retford lock and wants a hand or some local knowledge then please get in touch. I'll always help if I can. Sound a bit sad but I love being around the water and boats.

Cracking first post, welcome!!

Might want to avoid "New Dawn" so as not to be associated with the political party in Greece.

Edited to strike out the above mistake; I was confusing it with "Golden Dawn"

Isn't it the convention (not backed up by any law, just a custom) that a boat name shouldn't be changed by a new owner?

However if Python is a new boat under construction I suppose it's fine to treat that as a provisional name until it's completed.

When my brother bought his boat it came with a unique name I really like which he wasn't too sure about, but he was persuaded by other boaters that it wasn't the Done Thing to change it, as has grown to like it anyway.

Edited by Peter X

Someone will be along to correct this if I'm wrong, but I think 'New Dawn' is the replica cuckoo boat being built on the Chesterfield and Python is the canal society's historic ex-working-boat which is used for publicity and work parties on the canal.

That is also having some work done following an interesting leak.

There are threads on the boards about both IIRC.

N

Someone will be along to correct this if I'm wrong, but I think 'New Dawn' is the replica cuckoo boat being built on the Chesterfield and Python is the canal society's historic ex-working-boat which is used for publicity and work parties on the canal.

N

Oh I missed that - I do remember the leak/scratching of heads but not how it was resolved?

Edited by mark99

Welcome Bigray,

Never had any argy bargy with anglers. In fact I'd say that anglers are much more likely to exchange friendly greetings these days than they used to. They almost all say hello, except perhaps when concentrating on the serious business of a match.

I'm happy to slow down until they are ready for me to pass, and not disturb their water. The only problem is that I never know whether they want me to keep as far over from them as possible, or to keep to the towpath and avoid the far side where they have been dangling their tackle.

Passing up that "Carry On" opportunity....

I'd be happy to follow hand signals telling me where to go.

... and that one.

Great to have an angler come on here to build bridges. I doubt it will be long before someone local invites you for a boat visit.

N

No correction needed, "New Dawn" is indeed the replica cuckoo boat and they are hoping for a June launch :)

Hello Bigray. As has already been said the wooden Cuckoo boat being built at Shire Oaks is to be called Dawn Rose. The project name was New Dawn as it is the first traditional wooden Cuckoo boat that has been built in umpteen years (can't remember exactly but well over 100)

Python is the 1929 Northwich boat currently on the bank at Long Eaton awaiting substantial repairs to her bottom. I w part of the team that manage her and, once repaired she will be need plenty of Experienced crew! In the mean time go to The Cct website and use the "contact us" page to send a message to either Peter Hardy or David Morris. Explain you want to volunteer on the boats. You will need to be a member in order to be covered by insurance but you will be able to take your YWA Helmsman certificate with them once you have slotted yourself into a volunteer niche so to speak. The Seth Ellis boat covers the Retford Area and Hugh Henshall around Shire Oaks but both move around the canal as demand requires.

We are away at present hence my reply is littered with typos as i am on my phone. We are just in the process of moving our boat to Clayworth so stay in touch, make yourself known to us when the opportunity arises and we look forward to meeting you.

• 1 month later...

Evening all.

I have just done my first trip as crew with the Chesterfield Canal Trust on the Seth Ellis. I was made to feel very welcome and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the advice on the forum and hopefully there will be more trips to come!