Wrenbury to Llangollen

Morthin

Featured Posts

Recently revised after my trip last week !

http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/Llangollen.htm

If you need a good internet connection in Llangollen, go to the Bridge Hotel

Telford Arms at Trevor poor, Horse and Jockey Grindley Brook, nearly Gastro menu

John

Just tried to send you some updates, but both the email addresses (john and info) on your site are broken :(

Jack Mytton is a very good stop. Their food is exceptional for a pub, without being imitation Michelin. Lovely spot, in the sun, and nice bar and dining room when wet. Very good beer.

At Wrenbury, the Dusty Miller steals the show a bit from the Coton Arms. But the Coton is very well worth a visit for a bit of a more pubby feel. Not knocking the Dusty Miller, though.

For Chirk, moor as soon as you can after the tunnel, it's easy to go a bit too far looking for the'best' spot.

Don't let the waterside Tesco stop you from going into Ellesmere. The town is very close, and quite pretty : the star of the place is the fantastic deli/butchers/bakers.

Whitchurch is worth the walk, and it's not ALL that far. The Old Town Hall Vaults is a truly exceptional pub, for both character and beer.

The Lion Quays is perhaps a bit more gongoozlery than canally. But a pleasant stop, the terrace overlooking the canal is irresistible on a nice day. They have nice looking pontoons, to moor at for free, but the ones at the Llangollen end are very silted up.

The narrow bit of canal near Llangollen sounds troublesome in people's blogs, but isn't really, unless there are TOO many selfish people about. There are passing places, marked by white sticks, and you can usually see the next passing place from the one you are in. Go ahead when there is no-one between the next passing place and you.

When you get to Llangollen, ask boaters coming the other way what the moorings are like. If they are tight, grab the first one. If there is room at the basin, it's a nice spot. If you decide you have passed a towpath mooring you would have liked, beware of going on and turning round at the basin to come back. Someone else may have nicked the spot, leaving you facing the wrong way on a narrow stretch with no turning round and no moorings ahead for a long way. If you miss a spot, better to reverse the short distance immediately.

If the canal is busy, Grindley Brook staircase gets very congested, and can cause very long delays. Better to plan to arrive there in the evening, if there are a lot of boats about. Then you can either go through while people are moored up for the evening, or be in a good spot for the morning. Handy litle shop at the lock. Same thing applies to Chirk Aqueduct/Tunnel.

If Plank Lane pub is still shown in your guide, don't count on it. It burnt down years ago (glad to hear from anyone saying it's reopened!). Near there, look out for the canalside farm selling fruit and veg.

I'm not usually one who argues for getting a move on, but because of the risk of delays on the way back, I'd say do fairly long days on the way out, looking for nice places to stop on a leisurely return trip.

Enjoy. The Llangollen is a bit of a cliche really, because everyone recommends it as such a lovely and interesting canal. But it simply IS lovely and interesting. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

• Greenie 1

Waggoners is still a goner, I'm afraid, but it's still worth stopping and having half a day wandering on the Mosses - about as alien a landscape as you'll find in the lowland midlands, though the horseflies will be out later in the year.

In Llangollen and for beer, seek out the Ponsonby Arms on the road towards Trevor. Lots of beer and an excellent jukebox. Same people as have the Sun on the A5, which is a unique pub. I love it (the Sun), but it isn't to everyone's taste. Jazz on a Thursday, more....exciting bands on some weekends.

If you want a more sedate evening, then Gales winebar or the Cornmill. Both are excellent eateries (though Gales was once quite contraversial back in the days of Dry days in Wales).

Really not impressed by the Lion Quays - trying a bit too hard and not really getting there. Oddly enough the old golf club at Chirk marina is now a splendid little bar with good food and real ales. Not sure it's getting the footfall it deserves, yet.

Also worth stopping at the Sun Trevor. pub is ok, but if you can face the uphill haul, the walk along the Panorama underneath the limestone outcrops and the old quarry/tramway is fantastic, or you can do it via Dinas Bran from the basin. Eitherway well worth burning the calories for.

Edited by The Toad in the Hole

I agree about the Lion Quays, it's not quite sure what it is. Handy for meeting friends with cars, nice patioo in the sun, fun mooring on the pontoons free overnight, and you can get edible food and proper beer. But a bit touristy/family-y/something-y. Doesn't quite gel.

Wasn't there a mention on here of restricted moorings near the Moss, now. Even though there are footpaths across it?

Forgot to say earlier that mooring by the Meres near Ellesmere is magical on a sunny evening. Just a little strip of towpath between the canal and the tree-lined lake.

Ed to correct Officer Crabtreeisms

Edited by Clifford

We very much enjoyed a lunch stop at Lion Quays a couple of years ago. It was a nice sunny day (remember those) and we sat ouside on the patio, had a very nice meal, and some rather good beer (from a local brewery I believe), and good service. I appreciate the place will not be to every ones taste, as its basically a modern hotel, but we found it welcoming. The pontoons are very silted up though.

You can generally follow another boat into the narrow bit after Trevor. People usually have a crew member walking ahead to warn oncoming boats. Most boats are coming out in the morn and going in later. Nothing to worry about and well worth the trip. This canal is on google maps to view so you can do a virtual trip to look at mooring places before you leave.

The Sun in welshampton is well worth a visit good food and real ales, there are 48h moorings by the winding hole at Hampton bank between bridges 50 & 51 we walk to bridge 51 and walk up the lane in all about 25 min, you can walk up at bridge 50 but that road is is not to pleasant with no footpath and busy with traffic

Unfortunately Mad Jacks is more miss than hit as the guy has been trying to sell up for a few years and has lost interest has been closed lunchtimes last few times I passed (now reduced To 650k from 1.2 mil)

The White Hart at Ellesmere is the best real ale pub in town. It doesn't do food but if you ask the landlady nicely she Will let you get a take out and eat it in the lounge. Dog and child friendly. There is a train station at Chirk and one stop away is the Bridge End real ale pub at Ruabon. Moor after the tunnel and the station is 2 mins walk.

The Willeymoor Lock is a proper 'pub grub' type place and it always has been - one of not too many pubs that has retained its character and not become a gastro pub. It's in an excellent position too.

The Black Lion at Ellesmere has always been good for food whenever I've eaten there. We also went in another pub in Ellesmere circa '95, it's always bugged me which one it was and whether it's still there now. We turned right at the end of the Wharf Road as if coming from the basin, seem to remember it being a light green/cream coloured building and it was doing food 19 years ago.

Edited by Philip

We visited the Aqueduct at Fronticyllle last week-very friendly and great views. Cant be missed given the lime yellow paint!! Would certainly recommend bacon and egg bitty and a good pint!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all for the advise just got back today .. great holiday, weather 50 /50 ....... Can i commend one great pub the White Hart at Ellesmere great real ales friendly landlord & locals and all at a reasonable price

I agree about the Lion Quays, it's not quite sure what it is. Handy for meeting friends with cars, nice patioo in the sun, fun mooring on the pontoons free overnight, and you can get edible food and proper beer. But a bit touristy/family-y/something-y. Doesn't quite gel.

Wasn't there a mention on here of restricted moorings near the Moss, now. Even though there are footpaths across it?

Forgot to say earlier that mooring by the Meres near Ellesmere is magical on a sunny evening. Just a little strip of towpath between the canal and the tree-lined lake.

Ed to correct Officer Crabtreeisms

36138_449086325981_3220455_n.jpg

33479_449090840981_2839999_n.jpg

First thanks all for your replies it was a great help. We had threE good days and two bad days weather wise, but we are in Britain after all !!!

The best pub that I visited was the White Hart in Ellesmere, great little place down to earth no juke box and no telly, we even had a good chat with the friendly locals, the beer there was excellen,t real ales and at a very reasonasble price.

The Willeymoor lock & the Bridge inn was also excellent ,good beer good food and most impotantley for us was that they were dog friendly !!

Ahh well wait for next year now

Cheers to you all