Nmenonic for channel markers

starman

Featured Posts

Well, sort of, it's more Red to Red if Going Inland so to say,

Then Red to Green if going to Sea ish.

However, (this will put the Pigeons up)

As a small craft,it's common place to stay just outside the Main Channel, So it could be Pass Green Bouy to Port !. When going inland.

& you do get Red with Green Stripes and Vise versa, like Preferred Channel markers. That can through you a curve ball as well.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

When the advent of steam-powered ships forced the authorities to devise some conventions to minimise the risk of collision (previously it was all defined according to the relative direction of the wind, eg "boat on starboard tack has right of way") an admiralty bigwig who had never steered anything more naval than a desk, devised a set of rules for the Thames Estuary. He pronounced that ships heading upriver should keep to the left and ships heading downriver should keep to the right. It took three sinkings and the loss of several lives before anyone managed to convince him that his rules were illogical.

In addition to the points made above, it is worth noting:

* the ordinal marks, when you pass to the north of (two arrows pointing upwards), to the south (two pointing down), to the west (downward pointing over upward pointing - Waist for West, though I have to say my waist doesn't look much like this) and east (upward pointing over downward pointing, by a process of elimination)

* I remember the rule of the road for crossing boats in open water by asking "Can I see their red navigation light?" If so then - subject to other rules in Colregs - they have right of way. If I can see their green nav light, then I have right of way (provided they can manouvre etc).

In addition to the points made above, it is worth noting:

* the ordinal marks, when you pass to the north of (two arrows pointing upwards), to the south (two pointing down), to the west (downward pointing over upward pointing - Waist for West, though I have to say my waist doesn't look much like this) and east (upward pointing over downward pointing, by a process of elimination)

* I remember the rule of the road for crossing boats in open water by asking "Can I see their red navigation light?" If so then - subject to other rules in Colregs - they have right of way. If I can see their green nav light, then I have right of way (provided they can manouvre etc).

Cardinal triangle marks only work if they are still there, or even fitted at all, You can also tell by where the Black Paint is on the Post/bouy it itself.ie if the Black paint is at the Top of the Pole, it's a North Cardinal, if it's Top & Bottom it's an East Cardinal, if it's Middle It's West and so on.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

The Admiral LEFT his PORT behind.

PORT is shorter than STARBOARD.

RED is Shorter than GREEN

LEFT is shorter than RIGHT

Edited by Fred to correct Starboard colour.

Edited by F DRAYKE

Why is starboard written in red ?

Mistake now edited.

And what happens to the Admirals Port ?.

& Why is the green Right smaller, is it not as important !. Do you favour the Left ?.

(ninja.gif )

Someone no doubt will drink it.

I can be a bit leftish.

Anyone got a good nmenonic for remembering the red and green channel marking buoys when going up or downstream?

In my senility I keep confusing myself which is not ideal when encountering a marker buoy on a swift river!

That's sorted. Now we just need a mnemonic for spelling mnemonic. unsure.png

In the States they use RRR - Red Right Return ie when you are travelling into port or upstream the red channel makers are always to starboard. So you just have to remember it's the other way round in the UK. I know that sounds a cock eyed way of doing it but it's always stuck in my brain.

It's like MIPDANIO for remembering the Mayday call procedure. Ever since I learned it I've never forgotten. The only problem is remembering what the letters stand for...

That's sorted. Now we just need a mnemonic for spelling mnemonic. unsure.png

Wikipedia suggests

Mnemonics Now Erase Man's Oldest Nemesis, Insufficient Cerebral Storage

This one may be useful in the rare threads about toilets on this forum:

Dashing In A Rush, Running Harder Or Else Accident!

and this visual mnemonic is essential for anyone who wants to know how an alternator works.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Wikipedia suggests

Mnemonics Now Erase Man's Oldest Nemesis, Insufficient Cerebral Storage

This one may be useful in the rare threads about toilets on this forum:

Perhaps one using the names of navigable canals would be more memorable: Macclesfield, New Junction, Erewash, Macclesfield, Oxford, New Junction, *, Caldon

* I can't think of one. frusty.gif

I thought I'd got it and then someone started talking about cardinals! I thought they were people who elected popes.

Seriously, thanks for all the tips. If I get from bedford to Denver Sluice without running aground I'll know I've got them sorted.

Edited by starman

I thought I'd got it and then someone started talking about cardinals! I thought they were people who elected popes.

Seriously, thanks for all the tips. If I get from bedford to Denver Sluice without running aground I'll know I've got them sorted.

... and you've already cut a channel through the shoal at Alwalton, so that's no problem now wink.png

MP.

In the States they use RRR - Red Right Return ie when you are travelling into port or upstream the red channel makers are always to starboard. So you just have to remember it's the other way round in the UK. I know that sounds a cock eyed way of doing it but it's always stuck in my brain.

It's like MIPDANIO for remembering the Mayday call procedure. Ever since I learned it I've never forgotten. The only problem is remembering what the letters stand for...

I think I learned Red Right Returning when I was about 12 years old, and that's been awhile. It's one of those things that sticks in your head and never goes away.

I think I learned Red Right Returning when I was about 12 years old, and that's been awhile. It's one of those things that sticks in your head and never goes away.

Well, I hope it goes away when you leave America, because most of the rest of the world operates the other way.

IALA Region A uses red marks to port when going into harbour, whilst Region B uses red marks to starboard. Region B consists of the Americas and a couple of America's former colonies. Everywhere else is Region A, and it is to be hoped that when America finally comes round to using a proper measuring system it might also tackle its buoyage.

The lateral marking system is especially problematical on the US Intra-Coastal Waterway because it is not always apparent whether your direction of travel counts as going in or going out.

When following the Intracostal Waterway, you use markers based not based on upstream/downstream, but on whether you are going Clockwise (New Jersey to Texas) or Anticlockwise.

Going Clockwise, you keep Yellow Triangles to the Right and Yellow Squares to the Left.

Confusingly, these symbols will appear on markers coloured red and green, where the colours ARE for the conventional use (US convention, of course) of boats going in and out.

But because of the different directions of travel of in/out boats and Intracostal boats, there is no correlation between the green/red marks and the square/triangle marks. A yellow square cxan appear on either a green or a red marker, and so can a yellow triangle.

OK, I looked it up. But I knew there was some quirk about the Intracostal, probably from reading Terry Darlington's book.

Just to confuse things even more, on some inshore channels the bouyage changes half way round for instance;-

The Swale between Sheppy and the Mainland, enter from the Whitstable end and its normal bouyage ie Red cans on the left Green on the right but then get to somewhere around Elmley Reach and it changes so Green will be on the left etc. until you pop out onto the Medway where if you turn left (upstream) Bouyage returns to Red on the Left or turn right (downstream) you will have Green on the Left.