Dodgy

mark99

Featured Posts

Do the Norfolk Broads hang red Tilley lamps outside their windows?

At road works where the sign says "If Light is Red Wait Here" I always feel like adding 'for sex'

Bloody obsessed, you Scandinavians.

In South Yorkshire where I were brung up, "while" is used with the meaning "until". When Sheffield's first "Pelican" pedestrian crossings were installed in the early 1960s, the box containing the push button bore the legend "Wait while light is red". After numerous near misses after pedestrians had obediently waited until the light was red before gaily stepping out into the hurtling city traffic, the wording was changed.

It's actually a Bi-Alladin lamp but so many people point and say "what a lovely Tilley Lamp", I've given up and just nod. smile.png

And I suppose to be really pedantic Bettie Boo it isn't a "gas" lamp but a fuel vapour lamp.

A "gas" lamp would be powered by Calor or it's equivalents.

"gas" lamp was said very much tongue in cheek - in reply to Mark's comment about it being referred to as a Tiley - I must have forgot the smiley (Nope, just checked and the smiley was there)

Of course, to the Merkin Cousins a 'gas' lamp is one that runs on petrol. I think Coleman might make them, but far too much explosive potential for me.

N

As above - it was a lame attempt at humor sad.png Maybe a smiley isn't enough to point out "Merkin Cousins" (gag) humor?

Edited by Bettie Boo

looks brand new!!

Yes agree. There is quite a market for these older lamps (refurbed and cleaned up) as the older ones are superb, well made pieces of British kit throwing out light and heat with a nice noise. Also need a little fettling to get started which is always fun.