Need Help Towing A Cruiser From Datchet To The Lee

Andrius Karpis

Featured Posts

Hello boaters, need some advice. Just bought a Buckingham Cruiser (length 6.09m, Beam 1.98m, Hull material FRP) on my way from Bray marina to London an engine died ... Managed to get to closed mooring not so far from Datchet (got all wet biggrin.png) near a river Jubilee and Thames Junction. and now i need to towel it away to river Lee, some how ... any advice? got Bss and river license. and my budget is not so big max 600£

cheers, for your time

Andy

Hello boaters, need some advice. Just bought a Buckingham Cruiser (length 6.09m, Beam 1.98m, Hull material FRP) on my way from Bray marina to London an engine died ... Managed to get to closed mooring not so far from Datchet (got all wet biggrin.png) near a river Jubilee and Thames Junction. and now i need to towel it away to river Lee, some how ... any advice? got Bss and river license. and my budget is not so big max 600£

cheers, for your time

Andy

Edited: Merged from a separate posting in Crew Swap

Edited by Grace & Favour
We don't need two posts on the same subject, Andy

Seeing as its going to the River Lea and is a 20ft cruiser I would definitely trailer it as there are a lot of locks or some serious tidal work so you would want a reliable boat. Otoh If it's an outboard then £600 would buy a decent replacement..

As already suggested, £600 would pay for it to be trailered to your destination. A tow would cost a similar amount probably so better to get it mended where you are.

What sort of engine is it? It could turn out to be something simple like a fuel blockage as 'it just died'. Kris Cruisers may well be able to fix it for you for a lot less than the £600 you have.

You do have fuel in the tank, don't you?!

Might also be worth a call to Bray marine if you bought it from their brokerage.

MtB

Is there a slipway close to where you are ? or would you need to be towed to a slipway. A tow by a river based tug/workboat would probably only take you to Bow locks rare to find boat legally able to work both PLA and C&RT waters

Is there a slipway close to where you are ? or would you need to be towed to a slipway. A tow by a river based tug/workboat would probably only take you to Bow locks rare to find boat legally able to work both PLA and C&RT waters

In addition, the Thames at Datchet is EA water!

MtB

The nearest slipway is upstream at Windsor (underneath the road bridge).

The River's still on yellows so needs a good boat to tow it.

Downstream there's a small public slipway about 1/4 mile downstream of 4All Marine who also have a slipway (but will charge). Nearest lock is Penton Hook.

In addition, the Thames at Datchet is EA water!

MtB

problem's more that skippers need local knowledge ticket to work different areas of the river when towing....PLA pretty heavy duty where that's concerned. C&RT is more about boat licensing boat.gif

Your comment about getting engine fixed is possibly the best as with any other method he'll have spent his money and still have a bust boat, only the scenery will have changed

Your comment about getting engine fixed is possibly the best as with any other method he'll have spent his money and still have a bust boat, only the scenery will have changed

Exactly.

And engines which are running fine and spontaneously stop are rarely expensive to fix. Almost bound to be fuel-related rather than a deeper problem.

MtB

Exactly.

And engines which are running fine and spontaneously stop are rarely expensive to fix. Almost bound to be fuel-related rather than a deeper problem.

MtB

Huh!!! I have a 40Hp 2 stroke Suzuki that was the exception to that rule......if you ever have a couple of hours to spare I'll tell you its tale of woe..

Nearest Lock Pent on Hook?

Not if he's by the Jubilee exit.. upstream is Romney and downstream is Old Windsor.

I had an outboard failure at Datchet when I was little and a friendly boater towed me down to Laleham where there was/is a public slipway.

My out board failed due to a stripped spline on the driveshaft at the bottom of the leg. Major problem.

By the sound of the op location he will have had the Queen's guards telling him he's not allowed to stop there :lol:

Ah.. nearest lock to the slipway...

Huh!!! I have a 40Hp 2 stroke Suzuki that was the exception to that rule......if you ever have a couple of hours to spare I'll tell you its tale of woe..

Suzuki - most complicated outboard in the world, Never ever buy one.

Used to know (quite well) a boat mechanic on Anglesey - he tried and tried with Suzuki's and in the end refused to even try to repair them as he could not charge for the hours neeeded to sort out the smallest problem - they had / have a 'black box' that controls everything and it was very unreliable.

The OP has made 2 posts, the one starting this thread and an identical one in crew swap. I am inclined to suspect that further advice is redundant, we either offer the tow or forget it. If it were me I would be by now eagerly following the forum expertise to fix my motor. I have doubts as to whether this boat will ever reach the Lee.