Calling Liveaboard Telly Watchers

Loafer

Featured Posts

I'm about to upgrade our televisual entertainment suite. I'm interested mostly in current draw from certain tellies.

Our 'current' telly draws about 3A and is quoted as being 30W on the rear. Our DVD player adds another 3A to that if it's on.

We'd like to chuck out the DVD player and buy a new, flat screen, smallish top-of-corner-cupboard model with built-in DVD player. I saw one the other day that said it was 60W. I'm assuming that the figure applies to playing a DVD. If so, we don't mind, as long as it reduces for normal Freeview reception.

Can anyone confirm that these tellies do draw a more reasonable current, ie 3A or less, if only viewing the TV bit?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Loafer

We have the Cello 29 inch with built in DVD very low energy use. Bear in mind this is a big screen for 12v I recall 27watt for the TV

I would think the smaller screens might be a bit better energy wise. Very good TV's for the money too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cello-c29229f-led-29-inch-TV-built-in-DVD-and-Freeview-HD-ready-LED-usb-input-/321345104199?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item4ad1a92947

ETA apparently the Cello 24 inch LED TV with DVD uses just 16watts.

Edited by Julynian

We have the Cello 29 inch with built in DVD very low energy use. Bear in mind this is a big screen for 12v I recall 27watt for the TV

I would think the smaller screens might be a bit better energy wise. Very good TV's for the money too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cello-c29229f-led-29-inch-TV-built-in-DVD-and-Freeview-HD-ready-LED-usb-input-/321345104199?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item4ad1a92947

Looks good the great thing now is I download films and Iplayer stuff when I am on free wifi and then plug tablet into TV

Looks good the great thing now is I download films and Iplayer stuff when I am on free wifi and then plug tablet into TV

We do similar John.

I've just noticed as well there's now a 32 inch 12v Cello TV LOL

Really good price too from here.

Removed, not the 12v model.

Replaced with correct 12v model. Not so good a price.

http://www.tv-village.net/products/product_details/92?gclid=CLyy5Pr17r0CFZShtAod13IAaA

Looks like another TV upgrade pending smile.png

Edited by Julynian

Can I Ask what aerial set ups you have?

We use 2 we have an Omnimax aerial which works really well and doesn't need faffing around lining up a signal, works almost everywhere and gleans all the Freeview channels. We also use a Sat dish and receiver where we receive loads of Freesat channels.

We chop and change between the two, sometimes the Sat dish signal is obscured by trees or buildings so we just use Omnimax. We mostly get both signals though, so have a good choice of lots of varied channels from both.

Edited by Julynian

I've got a 150 watt power Hungary 32 inch TV flat screen, pointed out by forum members new ones are around a third of the pwr 40 watts or near

Pointed out that with this TV, and the skybox. Both very power Hungry

Buying a modern TV with in built freesat would save me a lot of power.

All I need to do is buy one on the cheap.

TV 30/32 inch inc freesat. Any bargains out their??

Col

Edited by bigcol

I have 2 Kogan 12v LED TV's on my boat. I can't give you exact figures on what power they use but it's nominal. I can watch telly all evening and if I press the SmartGuage on the way to bed it is rarely below 98 or 99% SOC.

I use an Omnimax omni-directional aerial aad it works in MOST places. I have cheap second hand satellite ssystemin a bag that I can get out and rig up if I need to. As yet I haven't had to.

I've got a 150 watt power Hungary 32 inch TV flat screen, pointed out by forum members new ones are around a third of the pwr 40 watts or near

Pointed out that with this TV, and the skybox. Both very power Hungry

Buying a modern TV with in built freesat would save me a lot of power.

All I need to do is buy one on the cheap.

TV 30/32 inch inc freesat. Any bargains out their??

Col

Samsung UE32F5500 full HD smart LED TV - 100 Hz refresh rate - 40 watts power consumption

l_21307785.jpg

Doesn't have freesat just freeview (terrestrial) which with the right aerial will work fine in 95% of locations I have found, given the sensitive tuner, so you can junk the sky box and save yourself the hassle of setting up a dish. Smart TV with built-in WiFi for i-player itv-player etc.

I use a double jointed cantilever TV mount bolted to a patress to correct the tumblehome of the cabin sides. Allows TV to be folded away against cabin side when not in use.

Edited by by'eck

Samsung UE32F5500 full HD smart LED TV - 100 Hz refresh rate - 40 watts power consumption

l_21307785.jpg

Doesn't have freesat just freeview (terrestrial) which with the right aerial will work fine in 95% of locations I have found, given the sensitive tuner, so you can junk the sky box and save yourself the hassle of setting up a dish. Smart TV with built-in WiFi for i-player itv-player etc.

I use a double jointed cantilever TV mount bolted to a patress to correct the tumblehome of the cabin sides. Allows TV to be folded away against cabin side when not in use.

Hiya

That won't happen!, lol ,spent a few quid and bought a satellite dome, getting a signal never a problem.

Did have one of the sat dishes, and know what a pain they are, drove us mad

I couldn't get it to work, so went back to normal-terrestrial arial.

Then I found the sat dome, fully automatic, it's magic!!!

Looking now, most TVs seem to have freeview installed, but not freesat

Must be looking in the wrong places

Col

Edited by bigcol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=Cello+C32224F+QUAD+32″+LED&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Julynian copied and pasted on eBay, also cheaper, but doesn't mention inbuilt freesat?

Col

I could be wrong, but couple adverts say freesat/cable

Not sure if this has satellite receiver inbuilt

Col

Looking now, most TVs seem to have freeview installed, but not freesat

Must be looking in the wrong places

Col

No, I think you are right, Freesat TVs are in the minority but they do exist - Samsung do a couple of 32" ones for example. They do seem to use about 10W more than freeview ones though, but that is still much less than using a separate sat box.

I'm very tempted, but not sure if there is inbuilt satellite Julynian.

Go on you know you want to, and it's 12v!!

Buy it you get it for Wednesday, and you can give us the thumbs up.

It be great!

Go on go on you know you want to!!!!!

I'm very tempted, but not sure if there is inbuilt satellite Julynian.

Go on you know you want to, and it's 12v!!

Buy it you get it for Wednesday, and you can give us the thumbs up.

It be great!

Go on go on you know you want to!!!!!

As long as you buy the Quad, there's another example here.

http://www.tv-village.net/products/product_details/174

• Mpeg 4 (H.264) Technology
  • Quad tuning Digital / Analogue / Satellite / Cable
  • USB port for recording TV onto a USB device or playback of Video / music / photo / Text files from a USB device
  • High grade DVD player
  • SRS TruSurround HD
  • 3 x HDMI
  • Made in the UK

We have a 29 inch Cello at the moment, great tv. Everything on this new quad model though is better spec than ours. DVD player high grade. Speakers 8 watt, better screen res, better cont ratio, has Mpeg 4 (H.264) Technology we just have Mpeg 2.

We will buy it but not for a few weeks, the cheapest price at the moment we can find is £247 I don't mind waiting a few weeks as I'll probably get it nearer £200 somewhere.

Just be aware that telly doesn't have Freesat. It has free-to-air satellite which is subtly different. Not totally sure of the full differences but one is no EPG, and I suspect there are fewer UK channels. It does however have Freeview. Otherwise it looks good with lowish power consumption.

Ed: quick bit of research suggests that the only difference is that Freesat has the EPG and everything is "packaged" so you only get uk channels. With "free to air" you get everything that is transmitted unencrypted, which may include a lot of stuff you don't want, and no EPG, just what is on now and next.

Edited by nicknorman

As long as you buy the Quad, there's another example here.

http://www.tv-village.net/products/product_details/174

• Mpeg 4 (H.264) Technology
  • Quad tuning Digital / Analogue / Satellite / Cable
  • USB port for recording TV onto a USB device or playback of Video / music / photo / Text files from a USB device
  • High grade DVD player
  • SRS TruSurround HD
  • 3 x HDMI
  • Made in the UK

We have a 29 inch Cello at the moment, great tv. Everything on this new quad model though is better spec than ours. DVD player high grade. Speakers 8 watt, better screen res, better cont ratio, has Mpeg 4 (H.264) Technology we just have Mpeg 2.

We will buy it but not for a few weeks, the cheapest price at the moment we can find is £247 I don't mind waiting a few weeks as I'll probably get it nearer £200 somewhere.

Can I have first dibs on the cast off again julynian?

Lol

Can I have first dibs on the cast off again julynian?

Lol

Yeah no worries.

Just be aware that telly doesn't have Freesat. It has free-to-air satellite which is subtly different. Not totally sure of the full differences but one is no EPG, and I suspect there are fewer UK channels. It does however have Freeview. Otherwise it looks good with lowish power consumption.

Ed: quick bit of research suggests that the only difference is that Freesat has the EPG and everything is "packaged" so you only get uk channels. With "free to air" you get everything that is transmitted unencrypted, which may include a lot of stuff you don't want, and no EPG, just what is on now and next.

Good point, I recall when we had sky on the boat then cancelled our contract with them we continued to use the sky box but still received loads of channels, we actually thought we had reverted to Freesat, but there are some differences apparently but we didn't really notice them though. Not long after the sky box packed in so we started using the tuner that came with the Ross kit wich was Freesat. I really can't recall any significant differences when swapping. I suppose we mostly bother with the main channels bbc1,2 itv etc.

I'm about to upgrade our televisual entertainment suite. I'm interested mostly in current draw from certain tellies.

Our 'current' telly draws about 3A and is quoted as being 30W on the rear. Our DVD player adds another 3A to that if it's on.

Can anyone confirm that these tellies do draw a more reasonable current, ie 3A or less, if only viewing the TV bit?

Thanks for reading.

Whilst all your discussions have been informative, no-one has yet answered my query.

Can anyone tell me whether or not a DVD-capable TV uses less power if ONLY watching the TV? That is, the quoted 60W or so is during DVD viewing only?

Ta

Can anyone tell me whether or not a DVD-capable TV uses less power if ONLY watching the TV?

Any TV/Hi-fi or similar with 'built in' something or other will use many of the same internals, ie, cutting down on components that would be duplicated in separate units.

It will be a maximum of 60 watts (in this case) but that figure will depend on the number of components, built in parts being in use.

FWIW and possibly contains some techno babble:-

• Sky has possibly the best EPG with nice presentation giving 14 (?) and certainly 7 day programme guide. If you have (or buy) a Freesat from Sky viewing card you get much the same channel line up as from Freesat approved equipment.
  • The Freesat EPG presentation depends on who made the equipment and (IMHO) not as neat as Sky's
  • Some folks are spending money on a good TV so my guess is that sooner or later you may want to record programs (we do all the time....). WIth sky you have to have a subscription for that service. Not so for Freesat.
  • You can't watch a recorded Sky programme unless you have a signal from the satellite.
  • On Freesat you can watch any recorded program without a signal.
  • IME a good Freesat box takes very little power (10W for a receiver, 15W for a recorder)
  • Similar power consumption and facilities for Freeview.
  • I use Humax products because they're reliable, repairable and available used from eBay or Humax Direct.

Hope the above mishmash is of use to anyone going to the next stage.