BMC 1.8 Exhaust Mixer Elbow. HELP !!

IP24

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, Been looking for a replacement exhaust mixer elbow for ages without success. This is now becoming critical as it has a pin hole. I have to get a replacement or a solution. Please can someone point me in the right direction? None of the suppliers I have tried has one. What does everyone else do? HELP !!

Hi everyone, Been looking for a replacement exhaust mixer elbow for ages without success. This is now becoming critical as it has a pin hole. I have to get a replacement or a solution. Please can someone point me in the right direction? None of the suppliers I have tried has one. What does everyone else do? HELP !!

I'm mystified which part you mean by this. Is it the exhaust manifold you need?

Is there one on this BMC engine currently on ebay for peanuts?

$_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/boat-engine-bmc-diesel-and-marine-gear-box-spares-or-repairs-/201070259521?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_Boat_Engines_EngineParts_SM&hash=item2ed0b8ad41

MtB

Hi IP, do you mean the rubber knuckle? If so, take it off & you should find a part no. Cast into the rubber. Calcutt, ASAP or Bowman will normally get one to you next day if you ring with the part no. If desperate buy a bike tyre repair kit stick a big patch over a smaller one.

Good luck! Chop

• Greenie 1

1. Thanks for your replies. I have a photo of the metal elbow, but can't quite figure out how to get it on here !!

Is the OP looking for an exhaust injector elbow for a freshwater cooled engine, perhaps?

It's an unusual arrangement (sadly), so I'm probably wrong.

No, you're right. I wasn't sure of the correct term for it. It's the 'L' shaped metal bit that's got quite rusty and corroded !

Thanks Mike. I bought this exch short engine from them a few years ago. They cannot supply the part or point me in the right direction. Was a bit disappointed to be honest.

I've not done any research - but what about Bowman?

http://www.ejbowman.co.uk/products/Spares.htm

AFAIK they made heat exchangers for BMC conversions

or even Lancing Marine:-

http://www.lancingmarine.com/pricebook2013/page22.html

I've not done any research - but what about Bowman?

http://www.ejbowman.co.uk/products/Spares.htm

AFAIK they made heat exchangers for BMC conversions

or even Lancing Marine:-

http://www.lancingmarine.com/pricebook2013/page22.html

Thanks for those suggestions. I have banged off an email to both, though having looed at their websites, it's not looking too hopeful. Maybe they will also have some suggestions anyway. Thanks again. Tim

Hi,

I wanted a similar part some years ago. I retained the existing manifold to exhaust joint and had a new section made up by a metal welder fabricator. I used coat hanger wire to get the shape I needed and he did the rest, joint to 'wet' silencer fabricated from the old one.

This was for a wet exhaust carrying water from the heat exchanger to the silencer.

Not an expensive job, work carried out about 1995 and still going strong (I think).

L

Let it not be said that I give up easily.

I'd forgotten about those very nice people at ASAP who (eye wateringly) look as thought they have a solution for you:-

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/bowman-combined-heat-exchanger-manifolds/exhaust-manifold-port-gasket-bmc-1500-131008

I should have looked at your Bio - from which I assume you boat is on the salty stuff - now I understand why you have 'proper' engine cooling, it's not popular on the ditchy bits.

If I'm correct then it's probably worth stumping up for the SS variety 'cos hot gasses and salty water aren't good for cast iron!

If the rest of the water injection elbow is not to rotted away [ Its usually at the spot where the water hits the elbow where it rots] a workshop with gas Sif Bronze welding/ brazing equip should be able to sort it for you, even if it means brazing on a patch

Hi,

I wanted a similar part some years ago. I retained the existing manifold to exhaust joint and had a new section made up by a metal welder fabricator. I used coat hanger wire to get the shape I needed and he did the rest, joint to 'wet' silencer fabricated from the old one.

This was for a wet exhaust carrying water from the heat exchanger to the silencer.

Not an expensive job, work carried out about 1995 and still going strong (I think).

L

Hi Mike

if you mean the Y shaped (kinda sorta) metal junction where the exhaust and raw water cooling water get together (mixed) before exiting the boat via the exhaust into the cut then yes it is still going strong. I would have called that a mixer elbow for the want of a better term but I wouldn't know it's correct name. I think if I was going to replace that I would have one fabricated as you did.

Pete

Let it not be said that I give up easily.

I'd forgotten about those very nice people at ASAP who (eye wateringly) look as thought they have a solution for you:-

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/bowman-combined-heat-exchanger-manifolds/exhaust-manifold-port-gasket-bmc-1500-131008

I should have looked at your Bio - from which I assume you boat is on the salty stuff - now I understand why you have 'proper' engine cooling, it's not popular on the ditchy bits.

If I'm correct then it's probably worth stumping up for the SS variety 'cos hot gasses and salty water aren't good for cast iron!

Yes, I tried asap., and they do have a solution using a variety of parts and joints to make one up. I wasn't so keen on this plan though as lots of joints mean lots of points of failure. I followed your link with hope, but just found a gasket. Have I missed something. Have a look at the pic I just posted. Thanks again for your input, Tim

Is there more to this part than two bits of metal joined together. Is there a special tricky bit inside that works it's magic??

Edited by IP24

Is there more to this part than two bits of metal joined together. Is there a special tricky bit inside that works it's magic??

There isn't anything clever inside mine. It's where the (in my case) raw water from the canal that is pumped into the heat exchanger to cool the engine coolant is pumped back out into the canal via the engine exhaust pipe. it's just an elbow but needs to be of a specific shape to connect into your particular engine mounting configuration.

Pete

Edited to add Mine goes up from the exhaust manifold yours exits to the right of your engine looking at your picture. So mine would be a different shape to yours. I think that there wouldn't be a standard fitting for that part and it is fabricated when the engine is marinised for a particular boat that is why Mike had to have one specially made when he owned my boat (I assume) and if I ever need one I would have to go and get one made up or use various bits of pipe and couplings to make one up which, as you rightly point out, is not a preferred way of doing it.

Edited by pete.i

There isn't anything clever inside mine. It's where the (in my case) raw water from the canal that is pumped into the heat exchanger to cool the engine coolant is pumped back out into the canal via the engine exhaust pipe. it's just an elbow but needs to be of a specific shape to connect into your particular engine mounting configuration.

Pete

Did yours look anything like mine? see pic

Did yours look anything like mine? see pic

Well the bit where the thin pipe joins the fat pipe, which is what I called the Y shaped bit, is the same as yours. My exhaust pipe, the fat pipe, is a different shape, My bends in that pipe are different to accommodate the different way that my pipe exists my engine bay.

Hi Mike

if you mean the Y shaped (kinda sorta) metal junction where the exhaust and raw water cooling water get together (mixed) before exiting the boat via the exhaust into the cut then yes it is still going strong. I would have called that a mixer elbow for the want of a better term but I wouldn't know it's correct name. I think if I was going to replace that I would have one fabricated as you did.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Pleased it's still going - the soft copper pipe I made the template with is ------------still in my garage - if ever you need a new one.

The OP could have one fabricated but bearing in mind the extreme use (salt water) I would use a thicker gauge metal.

The original one had the top bend too low so that water could overflow back into the manifold and possibly the cylinders if the engine does not fire up quickly - get the levels right.

L.

• 8 years later...
  • 4 months later...