alarm`s and camera`s

kevin222

Featured Posts

I'll bet you can't justify that comment.

Nick is saying that the standard of written English does not inspire him with confidence that the workmanship will be up to scratch.

That isn't a statement that says "There is a proven link between poor written communication and poor workmanship". He is saying "Poor written communication leads him to lack confidence in the quality of the workmanship".

That lack of confidence may or may not be objectively justified, but it doesn't alter the fact that it is the opinion that Nick forms.

Our purveyor of alarms and cameras would do well to learn that even if his workmanship is superb, he will lose business if he marketing is poor.

know not for that

with it being marine,

it needs to be artic blue cable

cable ive used in the past

artic grade 300/500v

to a bs standard 7915 or above

Well, what can I say, except;

"Thank you for playing, sorry you don't win the prize"

You were asked what SIZE cable you would use for the 12v supply to an inverter.

You responded with an answer that wasn't even relevant to the question, and was plain wrong!

Why on earth would you be using Arctic cable (presumably 2.5mm2) to wire the 12v side of an inverter. Quite apart from the difficulty that would be caused in distinguishing 12v and 24v circuits (240v should use blue,brown, green/yellow whilst 12v used black and red), the cable is totally inadequate for the current that it would be carrying.

My inverter is wired with individual tails in 90 mm2 which is closer to the mark.

I'm afraid that your answers are marking you down as a bodger.

Hi ya KevNa,

I got to be honest,Even I am struggling with this one, Can I please offer a bit of input as my take on things.

You Post Offering Engineering Services, as a Business !.

You Post Offering CCTV Installation Services, as a Business !.

You Say you have an understanding of Boat/Marine Electrical Installations.

But, I have to say, I think you've 'Presented' Yourself and you're 'Practical Working Knowledge' of both Products and Systems in

such areas ,,,well Badly. That's just my take on it ofcourse, and I'm just a fat Donut eating bloke from the west country,That thought 'Newhaven' was a Religious sect. Not a South Coast Port !.

But just remember,,Even Free,Well Meaning Advice can be Dangerous,

But,Good luck.

• Greenie 2

Well, what can I say, except;

"Thank you for playing, sorry you don't win the prize"

You were asked what SIZE cable you would use for the 12v supply to an inverter.

That's not the only thing that would be wrong with Paul's setup. Underpowered Inverter and battery capacity are on the list as well.

So do you suspect the opposite - that demonstrating a poor command of written English does inspire confidence? If so, I would be interesting to hear why.

Or perhaps your cryptic point is that it has no bearing, in which case perhaps you could enlighten us as to what criteria you would use to select a technician to do some work for you, based only on their written word (which is all we have available in this case)?

I wouldn't say the written word has to be grammatically perfect in these cases, but the OP's style has "can't be bothered" written all over it.

There are many jobs/occupations that do not require proficiency in the English language, as I am sure you know. I suggest that if you wanted to take the OP up on his offer you arrange to speak to him, either person to person, ideal, or over the phone. You should then be able to make a fair assessment as to his capabilities. You never know, he may be able to supply references.

Just to right someone off because their use of English does not meet your high standard is pathetic.

Obviously, I do hope the other members,and readers of this thread understand the reasons an content of My earlier post number 62,,it was used for demonstration purposes only,,I may have Changed 'Some' aspects to my 'Actual' installation.

Just thought I would clear that up.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Obviously, I do hope the other members,and readers of this thread understand the reasons an content of My earlier post number 62,,it was used for demonstration purposes only,,I may have Changed 'Some' aspects to my 'Actual' installation.

Just thought I would clear that up.

Phew !!!!cheers.gif

There are many jobs/occupations that do not require proficiency in the English language, as I am sure you know. I suggest that if you wanted to take the OP up on his offer you arrange to speak to him, either person to person, ideal, or over the phone. You should then be able to make a fair assessment as to his capabilities. You never know, he may be able to supply references.

Just to right someone off because their use of English does not meet your high standard is pathetic.

Oh dear!

In an ideal world, perhaps the customer would take the time and trouble to get past poor presentation, to see whether the product is OK.

In the real world, with lots of suppliers to choose from, I am going to say that if somebody takes so little care with the way they present themselves, then they are too risky.

Sorry to take this thread a bit sideways, I have looked at bespoke security systems before, there are not many companies offering it. The lower end ones don’t seem to offer anything better than the type of thing I can buy off the shelf in Maplins etc and the higher end ones are way too expensive.

I looked into these people http://www.gostglobal.com/home_boat-alarms_vessel-tracking-&-yacht-trackers.htm but apart from being very expensive, I realised that the rate of change in technology in this area is so fast that any system I did buy would be out of date very quickly.

I came to the conclusion that it would be better to wait until 4G was more widespread then buy something ‘plug and play’ from Maplins.

I would be interested in the views of anyone who has done this recently.

Nick is saying that the standard of written English does not inspire him with confidence that the workmanship will be up to scratch.

That isn't a statement that says "There is a proven link between poor written communication and poor workmanship". He is saying "Poor written communication leads him to lack confidence in the quality of the workmanship".

That lack of confidence may or may not be objectively justified, but it doesn't alter the fact that it is the opinion that Nick forms.

Our purveyor of alarms and cameras would do well to learn that even if his workmanship is superb, he will lose business if he marketing is poor.

Thank you for your input Mr. Mayall. All is now clear to me.

I don't always agree with Nick but he is correct on this one I am afraid.

It's a cut throat world out there and presentation is everything as are first impressions. Now it may be that somebody may not have full command of English, grammar and spelling but if selling a professional service you do need to demonstrate that your prospective customers will have confidence in your work. People (rightly or wrongly) will sometimes judge this on the basis of how you put yourself forward and how you promote yourself, which so far in the OP's case has not been brilliant.

It is up to the OP as to if they take this on board, but if somebody is having difficulty presenting themselves they may be well advised to seek the help of a friend or family member to construct an 'advert' on their behalf.

Pointing this out is not 'pathetic' just trying to offer some constructive help. If people wish to take it on as some sort of personal attack that is entirely their choice, but they would be wrong to do so. It's not about reaching a 'high' standard just hitting one that most people would find to be at least an acceptable one.

Now it may very well be that somebody could say -

'stuff it, if they are going to judge my professional competency on the basis of my language skills I don't need their work that much thank you'

- then fair enough, good luck to them.....

Edited by The Dog House

Oh dear!

In an ideal world, perhaps the customer would take the time and trouble to get past poor presentation, to see whether the product is OK.

In the real world, with lots of suppliers to choose from, I am going to say that if somebody takes so little care with the way they present themselves, then they are too risky.

Slipped through. Usually I notice things like that, but obviously not always. As we are in superior mode perhaps you would like to look at post 93, last line, and spot the mistake.

ETA perhaps I should have mentioned the post 93 referred to is in the Ghost Moorings thread.

Edited by Rich

Sorry to take this thread a bit sideways, I have looked at bespoke security systems before, there are not many companies offering it. The lower end ones dont seem to offer anything better than the type of thing I can buy off the shelf in Maplins etc and the higher end ones are way too expensive.

I looked into these people http://www.gostglobal.com/home_boat-alarms_vessel-tracking-&-yacht-trackers.htm but apart from being very expensive, I realised that the rate of change in technology in this area is so fast that any system I did buy would be out of date very quickly.

I came to the conclusion that it would be better to wait until 4G was more widespread then buy something plug and play from Maplins.

I would be interested in the views of anyone who has done this recently.

When designing a system it is better to decide exactly what you want it to do first, and then seek out the technology, rather than finding a bit of tech first and then seeing if you have a use for it. So what do you want it to do?

Yes technology is advancing rapidly but that is always the case and one has to take the plunge at some point. I don't really see that 4G is a factor. Apart from the fact that 4G is likely to take a long time to reach rural areas, if ever, 3G is fast enough to send a lat and long and even send video at a modest frame rate. I now have a shiny iPhone 5 with 4G enabled but so far, much of the time it is no faster than 3G (central birmingham).

We have a 3G modem on the boat which can be configured to send and receive text messages to turn something on, or to send a text in reaction to a stimulus. I just use it to turn the heating on and check the battery voltage - since we live 450 miles away there is not a huge point in having a burglar alarm and anyway the boat is hopefully safe in the marina!

You also have to consider that it is not easy to install such a system such that it could not easily be disabled. You would likely need an external phone aerial and maybe a GPS one. These things are harder to hide on a boat I think, compared to a car where they could eg be behind some plastic trim /radiator grille etc.

Edited by nicknorman

I don't always agree with Nick but he is correct on this one I am afraid.

It's a cut throat world out there and presentation is everything as are first impressions. Now it may be that somebody may not have full command of Engluh, grammars and spelling but if selling a professional service you do need to demonstrate that your prospective customers will have confidence in your work. People (rightly or wrongly) will sometimes judge this on the basis of how you put yourself forward and how you promote yourself, which so far in the OP's case has not been brilliant.

It is up to the OP as to if they take this on board, but if somebody is having difficulty presenting themselves they may be well advised to seek the help of a friend or family member to construct an 'advert' on their behalf.

Pointing this out is not 'pathetic' just trying to offer some constructive help. If people wish to take it on as some sort of personal attack that is entirely their choice, but they would be wrong to do so. It's not about reaching a 'high' standard just hitting one that most people would find to be at least an acceptable one.

Now it may very well be that somebody could say -

'stuff it, if they are going to judge my professional competency on the basis of my language skills I don't need their work that much thank you'

- then fair enough, good luck to them.....

Nick seems to have joined another member of this forum and appointed himself "correction officer". I find it objectionable.

Slipped through. Usually I notice things like that, but obviously not always. As we are in superior mode perhaps you would like to look at post 93, last line, and spot the mistake.

ETA perhaps I should have mentioned the post 93 referred to is in the Ghost Moorings thread.

How interesting that wasn't.

Yes, there is an error. I'm not perfect. You may rest assured that my CV contains no spelling errors though.

I merely thought it hilarious that as you lambasted me for expecting people to use a high standard, you included a howler.

Nick seems to have joined another member of this forum and appointed himself "correction officer". I find it objectionable.

You seem to find so many things objectionable.

Particularly people expressing a view that is contrary to your own.

Look on the bright side. With people like me and Nick coming to objectionable opinions about tradespeople based on whether they can construct a sentence, the semi-literate tradespeople will have to reduce their prices to get business, and you can get all your jobs done cheaply.

How interesting that wasn't.

Yes, there is an error. I'm not perfect. You may rest assured that my CV contains no spelling errors though.

I merely thought it hilarious that as you lambasted me for expecting people to use a high standard, you included a howler.

You seem to find so many things objectionable.

Particularly people expressing a view that is contrary to your own.

Look on the bright side. With people like me and Nick coming to objectionable opinions about tradespeople based on whether they can construct a sentence, the semi-literate tradespeople will have to reduce their prices to get business, and you can get all your jobs done cheaply.

Not perfect? Nonsense, you are the most perfect example that I have come across.