Brentford-Teddington Thames Access

Bullfrog

Featured Posts

I remember on our only journey down-stream on the Thames some years ago we were held at Teddington until a "tidal window" when the lock-keeper then allowed us to proceed.

How do you work out when this is?

I assume this is the same when coming up from Brentford?

When travelling up-stream from Brentford where would I get Thames permit?

When travelling downstream from the K+A where would I get a Thames permit?

Who can I contact for more info?

Sorry if this has all been asked before.

David

Look up the tide tables this will give you the high water times.

Thames permit upstream Teddington lock Downstream first Themes lock you come to that is maned.

Use a search engine for more information as to who to contact.

Thank you scholar gypsy for your very helpful link.

Alan, I do hope we are well pumped out before we get to Brentford!

David

FWIW

There's an EA self operated pumpout machine at Molesey Lock (opposite side to Hampton Court) which is the next lock up from Teddington. Only a tenner and pumps for ages - good for boat with large or two tanks. You can make sure you've had a good flush - nice and sweet.

The easiest way is to ring one of the lockies and ask.

When coming from the canal onto the Thames at Brentford, you will need to start by choosing a tidal window. If the lock is manned during the window you want, great, just turn up. If the lock is available to book (i.e. very early in the morning or late at night, or out of season) you need to book your passage by phoning a day or two in advance. You'd lock out of Brentford a couple of hours before high tide, to ride the rising tide to Teddington. You shouldn't have to worry about Richmond half lock if you time it right.

Brentford lock availability: www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5113.pdf

Brentford tide times: http://rjen.me.uk/tides/Tides2014-Brentford.pdf

Coming up from Brentford the river is controlled by the PLA until Teddington, so you will buy your EA licence when you arrive at Teddington lock.

The same applies coming out at Teddington. The times will be different, and I think it's manned 24hours, although someone will correct me if I'm wrong. http://www.teddington-lock.co.uk/ At Teddington there are two locks large enough for narrowboats - there's a traffic light system to direct you into the right one. I believe you'd ordinarily be looking to lock out of Teddington a few minutes before high tide, to catch the slack water.

Tide times at Teddington lock: http://www.londontides.com/locations/ted.php

From the K&A I'm not 100% sure where you'll buy your licence, but several Thames locks sell them. They are mostly operated by lock keepers (not always), so you should ask one of them. Alternatively, I've always had very good service from the EA call centre.

Enjoy your trip :)

If in doubt at either, moor on the landing and walk up to talk to the lockie.

The easiest way is to ring one of the lockies and ask.

When coming from the canal onto the Thames at Brentford, you will need to start by choosing a tidal window. If the lock is manned during the window you want, great, just turn up. If the lock is available to book (i.e. very early in the morning or late at night, or out of season) you need to book your passage by phoning a day or two in advance. You'd lock out of Brentford a couple of hours before high tide, to ride the rising tide to Teddington. You shouldn't have to worry about Richmond half lock if you time it right.

Brentford lock availability: www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5113.pdf

Brentford tide times: http://rjen.me.uk/tides/Tides2014-Brentford.pdf

Coming up from Brentford the river is controlled by the PLA until Teddington, so you will buy your EA licence when you arrive at Teddington lock.

The same applies coming out at Teddington. The times will be different, and I think it's manned 24hours, although someone will correct me if I'm wrong. http://www.teddington-lock.co.uk/ At Teddington there are two locks large enough for narrowboats - there's a traffic light system to direct you into the right one. I believe you'd ordinarily be looking to lock out of Teddington a few minutes before high tide, to catch the slack water.

Tide times at Teddington lock: http://www.londontides.com/locations/ted.php

From the K&A I'm not 100% sure where you'll buy your licence, but several Thames locks sell them. They are mostly operated by lock keepers (not always), so you should ask one of them. Alternatively, I've always had very good service from the EA call centre.

Enjoy your trip smile.png

If in doubt at either, moor on the landing and walk up to talk to the lockie.

All Thames locks will sell you a licence - if unmanned carry on to the next and explain.

I'm not quite sure if you're going downstream whether only Shepperton can sell you a transit licence (I seem to remember there was some apparently silly rule...). It's not muck effort to stop on the lock layby to ask, or even ask Thames Lock - who might sell you one anyway.

Teddington Lock is manned 24/7 - so no problem coming upstream.

The Barge Lock (Left of the three going up) is only used for special occasions (Royalty, Dunkirk Little Ships or an awful lot of big boats). It's so huge that it empties the reach above.....

The centre lock - the Launch Lock is the normal one to use and your access is controlled by a traffic light, though you may have to pop up to the office to get attention.

The third lock (RHS) is to narrow for anyone to use, 'cept a skiff.

I was honoured to have the sole use of the barge lock coming downstream in late october.

I had been held up by tetchy thermostats and crap RCR repair blokes, and knew I was pushing it .......got to Teddington 1 hour and 50 after high water and told, no chance mate, waters low already. Another 6 days before next window at Brentford(winter opening) -" I went down with less water than that before, and Bretford lockie says ok".......".ok, mate, your engine up to it???, get in the barge lock, don't bother with ropes,as soon as I open gates, go for it"

It was a swift passage and managed Brentford with 6" left....had to start the turn into Brentford creek 200 yards upstream mind, and the bouys were at 45 degrees.

Blimey Marry you're brave.

We've been through both locks at Teddington, depending on who else was coming through. Sometimea the big passenger boats turn up and you have to go through the big'un. Think it's still under repair (it was last week) but the middle one's grand for narrowboats. Worth getting off and having a look at the various plaques, historical place Teddington Lock :)

In case it's of interest to anyone who's searching the forum, I thought I'd update with details of our trip through on Sunday.

We arrived at Teddington lock at about midday ish, plenty of time for a roast dinner at the pub (Tide End rather than the Anglers - too noisy with a million children in the garden...).

High water at Teddington that day was 2.50pm, so the Lockie requested we lock through between 2.20 and 2.30. As we left, the lock keeper checked our details and then texted Brentford to let them know we were on our way.

We locked through at about 2.30, and had a very smooth cruise down. Richmond half lock is not in operation at that time, so you go through whichever bridge arch has the clear signal.

When we reached Brentford the river was very slack, so much so that we cut the corner a little too tight because we'd anticipated we'd be pushed further downstream (luckily nothing was coming the other way). I think we reached Thames lock at about 3.45, and the lock was ready for us to go straight in. The river's high, so it takes about a minute for the lock to be level.

By 3.55 we were waiting for the gauging lock at Brentford to do its thing, while I texted Wanted (of this parish) to alert him that we were ready for our pint at the Brewery Tap.

I've got some nice photos that I'll upload when I get them onto the computer :) In particular, I have some photos of the entrance, which can be a little hard to spot if you don't know the area.

I have some photos of the entrance, which can be a little hard to spot if you don't know the area.

I think there's a club for people who've overshot the entrance by mistake, and then sh*t themselves wondering if the engine's up to getting them back.

If there isn't, I'll start one.

I think there's a club for people who've overshot the entrance by mistake, and then sh*t themselves wondering if the engine's up to getting them back.

If there isn't, I'll start one.

I would recommend looking out for the entrance to brentford dock marina, a small lock & lots of 1970s flats. the creek is just after that on the left....

It is easy to spot Thames Lock Brentford because it has 'Welcome to THAMES LOCK' written above it in letters about four foot high.

My tip would be to avoid arriving at Brentford exactly at High Tide because you wont get under the High Street Bridge, just below the Gauging Locks. You end up sitting around for 10 or 15 minutes waiting for the levels to drop.

While the general advice is to leave Teddington just before high water, there are lots of other options. I will sometimes go about three hours before high water, lock through at Richmond (if the weir is actually down in the river) and arrive at Brentford just as the four hour operational window starts.

By the way, the centre weir at Richmond lock is jammed in the down position at the moment, it may be for another week or so. So take care there is a lot more water flowing through the other arches.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend looking out for the entrance to brentford dock marina, a small lock & lots of 1970s flats. the creek is just after that on the left....

Actually, the best landmark is the work of art (I use the term loosely) on the eastern side of the entrance. It is a huge monstrosity in stainless steel, shaped a bit like a wave on its side. Approx twelve feet high and ten wide, and horrible.

It is easy to spot Thames Lock Brentford because it has 'Welcome to THAMES LOCK' written above it in letters about four foot high.

My tip would be to avoid arriving at Brentford exactly at High Tide because you wont get under the High Street Bridge, just below the Gauging Locks. You end up sitting around for 10 or 15 minutes waiting for the levels to drop.

While the general advice is to leave Teddington just before high water, there are lots of other options. I will sometimes go about three hours before high water, lock through at Richmond (if the weir is actually down in the river) and arrive at Brentford just as the four hour operational window starts.

By the way, the centre weir at Richmond lock is jammed in the down position at the moment, it may be for another week or so. So take care there is a lot more water flowing through the other arches.

If you are a time traveller, you might see it. But normal mortals won't, as it fell over several years ago.

WJM, on 15 Apr 2014 - 4:05 PM, said:snapback.png

It is easy to spot Thames Lock Brentford because it has 'Welcome to THAMES LOCK' written above it in letters about four foot high

If you are a time traveller, you might see it. But normal mortals won't, as it fell over several years ago.

I think WJM is referring to the sign painted on the footbridge that goes over the lock. Unfortunately if you wait until you see it before you start turning, then (on an ebb tide) you will end up further downstream than is ideal...

On a spring tide, you can wait for rather more than 15 mins at Brentford High St...

Good pump outs on the Thames £9 a time

AND you've got time to pump two tanks as well as flushing both well of anything smelly....

(Compensates a bit for the cost of the licence)

WJM, on 15 Apr 2014 - 4:05 PM, said:snapback.png

I think WJM is referring to the sign painted on the footbridge that goes over the lock. Unfortunately if you wait until you see it before you start turning, then (on an ebb tide) you will end up further downstream than is ideal...

On a spring tide, you can wait for rather more than 15 mins at Brentford High St...

Ah, But, as you say, difficult to spot until it's too late.

• 1 month later...

Went past Brentford yesterday (Limehouse - Woolwich - Teddington see photos).

C&RT have installed two new signs, on either side of the entrance to Brentford Creek. One is visible to boats coming upstream, one to those coming downstream from Teddington.

Just look out for the familiar design & logo - if you want to read the words, you will probably need the binoculars.

Sorry, forgot to take a photo/

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

The Barge Lock (Left of the three going up) is only used for special occasions (Royalty, Dunkirk Little Ships or an awful lot of big boats). It's so huge that it empties the reach above.....

The reach above is five miles long. The barge lock doesn't make any impact on it. It is used quite regularly. It has a middle set of gates so that it can be operated as a regular sized lock too.

The reach above is five miles long. The barge lock doesn't make any impact on it. It is used quite regularly. It has a middle set of gates so that it can be operated as a regular sized lock too.

Quite - some of the big trip boats regularly pop down below the lock and turn around. It gets a good amount of use, and has no effect on the reach above. There is a weir beside the locks - that doesn't empty the reach above either :)

Quite - some of the big trip boats regularly pop down below the lock and turn around. It gets a good amount of use, and has no effect on the reach above. There is a weir beside the locks - that doesn't empty the reach above either :)

The ship lock is about 200 by 7 metres, fall of let us say 2 m (often less).

The reach to Molesey is 5 miles, 8000 m and the average width is say 50 m.

So filling the lock would take 7 mm out of the reach above.

The ship lock is about 200 by 7 metres, fall of let us say 2 m (often less).

The reach to Molesey is 5 miles, 8000 m and the average width is say 50 m.

So filling the lock would take 7 mm out of the reach above.

IMO it's wider than that on average. Plus rivers enter into that reach. All in all using a big lock there has virtually nil impact.

Edited by mark99