self pumpout ?

Featured Posts

Sith Lord actually

Get it right or you'll feel a disturbance in The Force

biggrin.png

MtB

Sorry – I'm not an expert in such matters. Meanwihile back on topic, it seems appropriate that anyone contemplating a self-pumpout should have overall protection in case the worst happens.

Edited by mango

Sorry – I'm not an expert in such matters. Meanwihile back on topic, it seems appropriate that anyone contemplating a self-pumpout should have overall protection in case the worst happens.

I agree,,Although Bib n brace, or Cowboy Longjohns may be quicker and more practical though.

I am reminded of the tale of a pump-out gone wrong, which I read about in a log that we kept on a friend's boat. I was not there on Monday 30 May 1988 when the novice pump-out operator had an unfortunate experience and covered herself with excrement, dashed to wash it off, but found she had locked the keys in the building.

Throughout my time boating I have tried to keep out of the way when toilets of any kind have to be emptied. Though I have dealt with cassettes without incident, I far prefer pump-outs and know to keep well out of the way when they are being serviced.

• 1 month later...

Self pump outs empty the poo tank often by way of a manual hand operated pump. Some I believe can be motor powered.

You normally empty them into an Elsan. The problems arise when the amount being pumped exceeds the elsans ability to take the quantity of tank's contents and then the Elsan blocks. This makes you very popular with other boaters as I am sure you can imagine.

Additionally some Elsans specifically prohibited their use.

Some (including me) think they are the work of satan, why if you like a PO system would you want to negate one of the much vaunted advantages of not having to re aquatint your self with your poo tank contents....

Elsans not on main sewer shouldn't block they just fill up!

Elsans not on main sewer shouldn't block they just fill up!

Yes I encountered that too at Whitley lock sani. Station just the other day.

Though given the distance of that particular one from the canal side I don't think a member of the SPO brigade was responsible for putting too much in it in one go. It would need a fairly lengthy pipe to reach

Any way a just spoke the Lockie who by coincidence was there and said he would arrange for it to be sorted.

Found this on the CRT website. Reads like a complete ban on using any Elsan point for self-pumpout. No mention of some being suitable, some not.

"What you must never do is to use a free-standing pump to pump out your tank into an Elsan disposal point these simply dont have the capacity and theres a high risk of spillage."

Is this a new restriction?

Edited by Clifford

Let's hope so!

However I think it's just an inconsistency because you still see some with signs prohibiting their use.

The absence of such a sign indicating that using one is OK.......even though in reality using one may still cause an issue.

Clifford, on 20 May 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Found this on the CRT website. Reads like a complete ban on using any Elsan point for self-pumpout. No mention of some being suitable, some not.

"What you must never do is to use a free-standing pump to pump out your tank into an Elsan disposal point these simply dont have the capacity and theres a high risk of spillage."

Would that have been after I posted this yesterday ?

From the C&RT website :

The Trust provides water points at frequent intervals along the canals and rivers along with toilets and special units for emptying Elsans and Portapottis.

You’ll need the standard Canal & River Trust Yale key (available from our shop) to access these.

If your boat has a holding tank, you’ll need more sophisticated pump out services. This is not covered by the licence fee and if you want to use our self-service machines, you’ll need to purchase a pre-payment card, also available from the shop. Do please follow the instructions carefully – part of the reason for the high cost of cards is the number of breakdowns that occur from mis-use of the equipment.

A more attractive option is probably to purchase the service from a boatyard or marinas where someone will do the dirty work for you for a very reasonable fee.

What you must never do is to use a free-standing pump to pump out your tank into an Elsan disposal point – these simply don’t have the capacity and there’s a high risk of spillage. Pollution of the canalside with raw sewage would be a very serious offence as well as a health hazard.

Would that have been after I posted this yesterday ?

From the C&RT website :

The Trust provides water points at frequent intervals along the canals and rivers along with toilets and special units for emptying Elsans and Portapottis.

You’ll need the standard Canal & River Trust Yale key (available from our shop) to access these.

If your boat has a holding tank, you’ll need more sophisticated pump out services. This is not covered by the licence fee and if you want to use our self-service machines, you’ll need to purchase a pre-payment card, also available from the shop. Do please follow the instructions carefully – part of the reason for the high cost of cards is the number of breakdowns that occur from mis-use of the equipment.

A more attractive option is probably to purchase the service from a boatyard or marinas where someone will do the dirty work for you for a very reasonable fee.

What you must never do is to use a free-standing pump to pump out your tank into an Elsan disposal point – these simply don’t have the capacity and there’s a high risk of spillage. Pollution of the canalside with raw sewage would be a very serious offence as well as a health hazard.

It's not in the Licence T&C's tho.

Let's hope so!

However I think it's just an inconsistency because you still see some with signs prohibiting their use.

The absence of such a sign indicating that using one is OK.......even though in reality using one may still cause an issue.

Be careful what you wish for. In this area, BW/CRT have taken to closing winding holes and popular local moorings, without consultation, because they can get more money from commercial undertakings.

Remember, up to this latest discovery on the CRT website, self pumpout has been perfectly legal, indeed some locations have signs saying they ARE suitable.

Self pumpout kit is not cheap. Will CRT be compensating existing users for their outlay? I doubt it.

Perhaps CRTs next move will be to declare non commercial wide beams a damned nuisance and ban them. No compensation for existing users naturally.

Before anything is said. I speak as a cassette user and I used to make part of my income from pumping boats out commercially, so I hold no brief for SPOs.

George ex nb Alton retired

At one time Nabo was negotiating putting in pipe fittings for self pump outs. The BW rep was in full agreement but the outcome was the arrival of the payment machines. BW wanted to make money out of the boaters rather than provide a free service.

Were I to interpret that I would say free standing may mean not connected to the main system. Oops I really must read that which I answer before replying!

Edited by Maffi