River Wey, Thames then Grand Union, any advice?

jacloc

Featured Posts

Hello

We are moving a boat in a weeks time starting from Farncombe boat house on the River Wey and ending up at Gayton Marina near Northampton. Have any of you any tips for the River Wey as its a new on on us. Also on the Thames section, some of it is tidal, is it as scary as it sounds? (The skipper is fine about it, its me that is over thinking it!) The boat is a 49 foot narrowboat with a beta 43 engine so I know we will have enough power for the rivers.

Have a look at http://www.thamescruising.co.uk/wordpress/

There's a River Wey boater's guide in that link and information on the Thames (both tidal and non-tidal). You should be eligible for the £10 Wey transit licence from the Wey to Teddington.

The River Wey is fine - just make sure you keep an eye on http://riverweyconditionsnt.wordpress.com. You can do Farncombe to Thames Lock in a day easily if you want to or take your time and enjoy a lovely waterway.

You may wish to consider, now that the Thames is somewhat calmer, turning left and going up the Thames to Oxford, up the Oxford canal and back through Braunston and Norton junction. It is a very picturesque trip.

Thank you Leo, lots of good information there. It will keep me busy, I like to plan so I know what to expect. I did see the route via the Oxford canal, but that way is 174 miles compared to 111 on the Grand Union so if the weather forecast is good we may go that way.

The Grand Union route via Brentford is all broad locks, while if you go via Oxford it is all narrow locks. It is a matter of personal choice but narrow locks are much less work.

If you go via Brentford the tidal section is very short and calm and is nothing to worry about.

The Grand Union route via Brentford is all broad locks, while if you go via Oxford it is all narrow locks. It is a matter of personal choice but narrow locks are much less work.

If you go via Brentford the tidal section is very short and calm and is nothing to worry about.

If you head upstream when you leave the Wey, Oxford can be reached in 3 days.

The Southern Oxford is roughly 3-4 days cruise.

And don't forget that the Thames locks are all on 24 hour power,so no winding sluices!

I would allow one and a half days to leave the Wey,the locks can be slow.

CT

I'd recommend the Oxford route for a two reasons.

1, the Thames locks are manned (the hard work's done for you) and the Oxford locks are single, which makes them quick and easy. Compared to the double locks on the Grand Union (many of which are hard work), and it makes it feel more pleasant.

2, as a former and soon to be again GU boater, the Thames/Oxford route is much nicer, with nicer views, pub stops and a cleaner river and canal. The canal between Brentford and Uxbridge is grubby and industrial and really nothing to write home about ;)

UNLESS you can time your trip to coincide with the Rickmansworth canal festival in which case DEFINITELY come up the GU ;)

Some extra points:-

As said the Wey locks are very heavy partly due to the lock mechanisms which are an unique design with a friction clutch. You'll need an extra long arm windlass with a parallel square.

The exit lock (Thames Lock) is manned 9-5 with an hour for lunch, prompt. No passage outside those hours

The Thames can be daunting at first, but if you're seasoned narrowboaters, you'll be a lot better than some of the locals....

If would be a great shame if you treated the journey just as a transit and that applies to both the River and the Oxford canal (my preferred route also). You're probably unlikely to do this trip again, so it's worth NOT rushing through, but allow a bit of time to stop at various watering holes for lunch and or dinner.

Have a good think and come back if you need any more help.

Just to be clear - Thames Lock opening - 09:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to sunset or 18:30 whichever is earlier. Be ready to use the lock 15 mins before closing time e.g. 12:45 for the 13:00 closure.

This document details all the information - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1349106626526&ssbinary=true

Windlass must be a Wey windlass - don't try and use a BW/CRT windlass please and if in doubt ring the National Trust at Dapdune Wharf - they will, as always, be pleased to offer assistance.

Paddle gear is different but the locks are not as difficult as people would make out. Like all boating take it slowly you'll have fun.

In a NB I prefer to go down the Thames its easier to get a rope onto a bollard when its not above your roof.

In the barge it was easier going up as the bollards were level with the deck.

Also you won't get the cheap license if you go upstream.

Edited by Loddon

Just to be clear - Thames Lock opening - 09:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to sunset or 18:30 whichever is earlier. Be ready to use the lock 15 mins before closing time e.g. 12:45 for the 13:00 closure.

Ooops - humble apologies - we left wen The Caravan People took over.....

In a NB I prefer to go down the Thames its easier to get a rope onto a bollard when its not above your roof.

In the barge it was easier going up as the bollards were level with the deck.

Also you won't get the cheap license if you go upstream.

I'm not doing a sales pitch (really??)

But if the locks are manned - the lockie will catch the lines for you - throwing them up to him / her shouldn't be difficult. Coil the line, don't just chuck a lump (many do...)

If there's nobody on duty, all locks have stairs inside (we do thing properly on the River), or the crew can hop out on the capacious layby.

"Most" of the locks aren't that deep, so only a few might be daunting.

I've re-read the opening post - you're starting in a week's time??

The River's still experiencing quite high flows (well, in relation to summer levels when it's a pussy cat), so if your boat is underpowered you'll only be able to make canal speed going upriver. Going down you'll roar ahead on tickover, but slowing down at lock laybys need a bit of care.

Nobody's mentioned the consideration of tides and synchronising with the opening times at Brentford.

Oh, and have you got your CaRT licence organised?

Thank you for all your advice, I will have a rethink and look at the Oxford route, the 7 day licence is about £31. It was looking at the distance the canal plan route planner gave that put me off, The GU is 111 miles and 109 locks, the Oxford is 174 miles and 97 locks. Do able in 10 days I hope.

Have to agree with Old Goat. The Thames locks are no problem whatsoever going upstream. The locky will sort out your line for you when he's on duty and when he's not, you don't have to bother with them... ninja.gif

And the southern GU is an ugly route compared to the upper Thames/Oxford.

Beware the advice that the southern Oxford is full of pubs. It isn't. There are long, very rural stretches where there is nowhere to get a drink or a meal, unless you catch and skin it for yourself :)

MtB

Thank you for all your advice, I will have a rethink and look at the Oxford route, the 7 day licence is about £31. It was looking at the distance the canal plan route planner gave that put me off, The GU is 111 miles and 109 locks, the Oxford is 174 miles and 97 locks. Do able in 10 days I hope.

No the licence is by area not length so yours will be £51 or there abouts

Ah, ok I got the thames licence price wrong, and the boat will have 'trade plates' so that covers the CaRt licence.

So how is the upper Thames now the levels are dropping? The only river we have been on is the Avon from Bath, not many places to stop off and moor, a bit of a surprise comming from canals, is the upper Thames much the same?

Isn't there some special passage licence arrangement to pass the EA waters to have work done on an adjoining waterway if you have Trade Plates.

Not any more - EA section 9 exemptions have gone I am afraid I tried for one and was refused.

The River Wey is beautiful and well worth taking your time over. I was born in Bramley and the bit around St Catherines near Guilford is lovely, Shalford and Shalford Mill worth a look too.

If you are not going to be there again do try to take time, our boating now mostly consists of moving boats on a mission -countless times I have though ' would like to stop here Ahh well another time maybe' .

I used to live at Ash Island by Hampton Court Palace on a houseboat and the boated from there along the Oxford. Again a brilliant route. Go for it if you can!

We have taken on board all your advice and have decided to take you up on it! We will be travelling up the Thames to Oxford and then the Oxford canal.

It was after reading my Pearson’s from cover to cover (the Nicholson hasn't arrived yet) and talking to the chap at Farncombe boat house that sealed the fate of the Grand Union. The thought of travelling through London, both inner and outer, for several days does not appeal. I much prefer the idea of the river.

My husband is an excellent skipper, and I am most proficient at locks and gates (as all us females seem to be!). The last time I tried to steer was on our very first trip on the Llangollen, many years ago, and I ended up trying to wipe out the crew with a tree and nearly getting us grounded! Being a coward I have handed over the tiller ever since. Now, with the river being wider than a narrow canal I feel it’s about time I mastered this steering lark, if only to give my other half a turn with the locks. All I need now is for the rain to stop so the river isn't filling up again.

So if you see a modest length narrow boat called Eshing being steered in a wandering line, give me a wave (if it's travelling straight it will be Paul driving!)

Jacqui

I can't condone NOT using lines in a Thames lock - Even on Public Power the sluices (paddles to you) are quite fierce, being about 3' x 2'.

Being electric, both come up at the same time, so there's no pinning effect.

If one of you is going topside, then the other can chuck a line up - preferably both.

Either-which-way, sit at the back of the lock for calmer waters

Although much of the River is on Yellow or no boards, there's still a lot of water coming down - and will be for some weeks to come as the land slowly releases its waters

I can't condone NOT using lines in a Thames lock - Even on Public Power the sluices (paddles to you) are quite fierce, being about 3' x 2'.

Being electric, both come up at the same time, so there's no pinning effect.

If one of you is going topside, then the other can chuck a line up - preferably both.

Either-which-way, sit at the back of the lock for calmer waters

Although much of the River is on Yellow or no boards, there's still a lot of water coming down - and will be for some weeks to come as the land slowly releases its waters

You need to watch the side fillers as they can throw you out into the middle of the lock no matter if you are at the front or back. Bell Weir and Romney are the two I can think of that are side fillers but they may have modified some more over the winter and I may have forgotten one or two!

You need to watch the side fillers as they can throw you out into the middle of the lock no matter if you are at the front or back. Bell Weir and Romney are the two I can think of that are side fillers but they may have modified some more over the winter and I may have forgotten one or two!

The other one is Hambleden - that's a genuine one as there are no paddles in the gates, all the sluices are hidden underground.

An aside -

I'm not convinced about Bell Weir and Romney, although they have the same unique control gear, they have gate paddles and I've not seen any large coverplates over where a ground sluice would be. Neither of the "Residents" have managed to explain that one away and the technical man retired last year. (Very anoraky, apologies)

Regardless of that the angle of flow rushes down either side, bounces off the rubbing strakes and that sweeps you out - so Leo is quite correct.

The other one is Hambleden - that's a genuine one as there are no paddles in the gates, all the sluices are hidden underground.

An aside -

I'm not convinced about Bell Weir and Romney, although they have the same unique control gear, they have gate paddles and I've not seen any large coverplates over where a ground sluice would be. Neither of the "Residents" have managed to explain that one away and the technical man retired last year. (Very anoraky, apologies)

Regardless of that the angle of flow rushes down either side, bounces off the rubbing strakes and that sweeps you out - so Leo is quite correct.

I believe that at Bell Weir some of the [edited] gate paddles squirt water into pipes laid along the bottom of the lock with holes in, so the water comes up from the bottom of the lock thoughout its length.

Sandford is a bottom filler as well, I am sure.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I believe that at Bell Weir some of the [edited] gate paddles squirt water into pipes laid along the bottom of the lock with holes in, so the water comes up from the bottom of the lock thoughout its length.

Sandford is a bottom filler as well, I am sure.

Yes, I forgot about Sandford - you can see the side sluice head gear as there's a post at the head end with a moving pointer (like those at Brentford on the GU). I'm not sure whether there's a multi outlet culvert along the sides. I must ask next time I'm up.

The lockies appreciate it if boater show an interest in "their" lock!