Oil pressure gauge

Featured Posts

Thinking of fitting an oil pressure gauge for my Lister ha3 to the pigeon box so I can keep an eye on the engine when cruising.

What would people recommend, electrical or mechanical and what range should I be looking for? I guess the ha3 oil pressure is not that high. Also any tips on installing it and any recommendations for gauges (preferably traditional looking) would be welcome.

Thanks

Tom

Would the oil from a Lister get that high, 70in.

I have a 35lb Gardner with two gauges, one on the engine the other on the roof. Assuming both gauges are accurate, I lose 3lbs in the rise to the roof.

HTH

By the way, I would mount the gauge behind the pigeon box, not on it, to give it a bit of protection.

George ex nb Alton retired

I once knew someone who had a mech pressure gauge mounted on the pigeon box with a marine JP.....let's just say having a few gallons of oil come out of a fractured feed pipe to the gauge makes a bit of a mess in the engine room....

Much as I like traditional stuff I think I would go for an electric gauge if it's mounted away from the engine....you can always run the cable through a cooper pipe to keep the vintage look.

Cheers

Gareth

Thinking of fitting an oil pressure gauge for my Lister ha3 to the pigeon box so I can keep an eye on the engine when cruising.

What would people recommend, electrical or mechanical and what range should I be looking for? I guess the ha3 oil pressure is not that high. Also any tips on installing it and any recommendations for gauges (preferably traditional looking) would be welcome.

Thanks

Tom

So what is the hot oil pressure of a HA3 ?

So what is the hot oil pressure of a HA3 ?

If you get a bourdon type gauge, it's best to get one that sits about 2/3 to 3/4 max gauge deflection.

In other words, say your oil pressure should be 45 PSIG, get a gauge that does to 60 PSIG (not 50 or 100 PSIG).

Here's mine - engine pressure (45psig) and gearbox oil pressure (circa 320 psig).

20140330_104841_zpsc9f5e99b.jpg

Edited by mark99

If you get a bourdon type gauge, it's best to get one that sits about 2/3 to 3/4 max gauge deflection.

In other words, say your oil pressure should be 45 PSIG, get a gauge that does to 60 PSIG (not 50 or 100 PSIG).

Here's mine - engine pressure (45psig) and gearbox oil pressure (circa 320 psig).

20140330_104841_zpsc9f5e99b.jpg

By the look of those readings you have a problem

Well there's one (engine oil pressure) on the roof too Darren. I have to start the engine in the engine room and if you know Gardners, they take a little while to pressurise so I can await the pressure rise without having to go outside to look.

Yes it's bling too smile.png

There are no problems DC with the readings - as I explained to you last time you said something similar. If you have forgotton, the engine pressure gauge does not zero but I've rigged to it be accurate in the range (30 - 50 PSIG) it needs to be by repeat testing with a pressure test rig and altering the adjustment levers to suit.

Edited by mark99

Your boat looks and sounds bloody lovely, wasn't trying to be negative mark sorry.

Daren

Hey, I never took anything as negative :)

I have a weakness for brass. It's a pain to clean.

If there's no low oil pressure warning like a buzzer then definitely fit a warning of some sort for oil pressure but if you just want to monitor everything all the time then where do you stop? A big plastic fertiliser bag approaching your propeller warning would be nice. You can't monitor all of life's problems away, can't remember the last time I drove a car with an oil pressure gauge!

K

I have a 35lb Gardner with two gauges, one on the engine the other on the roof. Assuming both gauges are accurate, I lose 3lbs in the rise to the roof.

HTH

By the way, I would mount the gauge behind the pigeon box, not on it, to give it a bit of protection.

That's how mine is mounted.

Interesting point regarding the difference in displayed pressure although my roof one consistently reads only 1 psi less. Since oil is incompressible would it be caused by a greater volume of air trapped in the pipe of the roof one, which is tee'd off the one on the engine room bulkhead.

That's how mine is mounted.

Interesting point regarding the difference in displayed pressure although my roof one consistently reads only 1 psi less. Since oil is incompressible would it be caused by a greater volume of air trapped in the pipe of the roof one, which is tee'd off the one on the engine room bulkhead.

It's the weight of the oil head - if you have 27 inches height of water that's 1psig. Ok oil is less dense than water so let's say 30". So every 30" of height you extend vertically, you lose a PSIG. Or put another way, it's another 1 psig pushing back down from top of roof down to engine. If your oil pressure is taken at sump level, you could have 60" difference between sump and roof = 2 psig loss.

If the fluid you were measuring was lighter than air gas rather than oil, you actually gain gauge pressure with altitude increase.

Edited by mark99

It's the weight of the oil head - if you have 27 inches height of water that's 1psig. Ok oil is less dense than water so let's say 30". So every 30" of height you extend vertically, you lose a PSIG. Or put another way, it's another 1 psig pushing back down from top of roof down to engine. If your oil pressure is taken at sump level, you could have 60" difference between sump and roof = 2 psig loss.

If the fluid you were measuring was lighter than air gas rather than oil, you actually gain gauge pressure with altitude increase.

Thanks for that.

George (furnessvale) must have a very tall boat then wink.png

Thanks for that.

George (furnessvale) must have a very tall boat then wink.png

No, but my oil gauge is on a 6ft high stalk.cheers.gif

Seriously, the top gauge, or indeed the bottom gauge, may be a couple of lbs out, but in 35 it hardly matters.