Internal WiFi

Happy Go Lucky

Featured Posts

We have been happily using a dongle based internet connection for our main computer for some while. Unfortunately, now that our son has been catching the train to school he has discovered the wonders afforded by WiFi access for his handheld thingies.

Has anyone installed a WiFi point within the boat that can give him WiFi access from the internet access of the main computer?

We have been happily using a dongle based internet connection for our main computer for some while. Unfortunately, now that our son has been catching the train to school he has discovered the wonders afforded by WiFi access for his handheld thingies.

Has anyone installed a WiFi point within the boat that can give him WiFi access from the internet access of the main computer?

Google mi-fi

There are other ways including tethering your phone or using a zoom travel router...

Ed ... Cross post with g&f

Edited by The Dog House

The MiFi option looks promising but I should have mentioned another requirement that might complicate the issue.

Particularly on school nights, once the lad has gone to bed I want to be able to turn the WiFi off. Preferably by just disconnecting the WiFi device.

I still want to be able to use the main computer but being able to turn the WiFi off will avoid the trauma caused by catching him still playing games at silly o'clock. This will hopefully also give me the option to shut it down if our bandwidth allocation is running short at the end of the month!

The MiFi option looks promising but I should have mentioned another requirement that might complicate the issue.

Particularly on school nights, once the lad has gone to bed I want to be able to turn the WiFi off. Preferably by just disconnecting the WiFi device.

I still want to be able to use the main computer but being able to turn the WiFi off will avoid the trauma caused by catching him still playing games at silly o'clock. This will hopefully also give me the option to shut it down if our bandwidth allocation is running short at the end of the month!

Most routers will let you configure usage limits and times for different devices. I don't know how much capability WiFi devices expose, but a router used with you existing dongle should let you do that. If you look at the specs and user manual for different routers that support dongles you will be able to see if any do what you want.

On a Mac, you can configure "internet sharing" - i.e. it will transmit a WiFi network to share the connection from USB, ethernet, etc.. No idea if Windows can do this too, but I'd be surprised if it can't..

On a mac, this is turned on in "System Preferences" under the "Sharing" button..

On a Mac, you can configure "internet sharing" - i.e. it will transmit a WiFi network to share the connection from USB, ethernet, etc.. No idea if Windows can do this too, but I'd be surprised if it can't..

On a mac, this is turned on in "System Preferences" under the "Sharing" button..

Yes you can create a bridge between networks with Windows. There was a thread on that subject in the last couple of weeks, a search would find it. It is not a simple "one click" though.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

The mifi option is as red herring if you already have good internet access on your main computer. People on here do tend to shout "MiFi" as soon as anyone mentions wifi, regardless of the poster's circumstances.

A mifi device is a way of getting pricey usage-limited internet access from a mobile phone provider. It's useful if you need internet access on the move, but it's not what you need if your boat is in one place and has good permanent internet access already.

So we can help you further, can you please let us know how your computer accesses the internet at the moment?

Can't you take it away from him when he goes to bed?

I thought you had Free WiFi on your moorings

The mifi option is as red herring if you already have good internet access on your main computer. People on here do tend to shout "MiFi" as soon as anyone mentions wifi, regardless of the poster's circumstances.

A mifi device is a way of getting pricey usage-limited internet access from a mobile phone provider. It's useful if you need internet access on the move, but it's not what you need if your boat is in one place and has good permanent internet access already.

So we can help you further, can you please let us know how your computer accesses the internet at the moment?

He said he is using a dongle based internet at the moment so one would suppose he is already getting pricey usage-limited internet access and just wants to share it round.

Consider running "Connectify" on the main PC, which will enable it to act like a wireless router, sharing the wireless connection out to other devices.

Wouldn't the main computer need to be running all the while to use the other devices?

I use one of these-http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTN66U/ - which is primarily ahome cable broadband router but works very well off a USB dongle or a mobile phone. It supports multiple hotspot names, so you can give the kid access to his own WiFi network, and it can automatically shut off access at certain times. Also, it's very reliable and fast. I've been using wireless networks since before WiFi and have been through countless routers - thus is one of the best...

Can't you take it away from him when he goes to bed?

A fourteen year old boy's ability to conceal gaming devices is greater than my ability to find them or, indeed, to remember how many of them he has!

I thought you had Free WiFi on your moorings

We do but, due to the effects of steel walls, only the primary computer has a good enough aerial to pick it up. When out and about we go back to the dongle. It would be nice to be able to suport internal wifi wherever we are.

Wouldn't the main computer need to be running all the while to use the other devices?

Not really a problem as it runs most of the time anyway. Marie keeps writing books on it!

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Hi,

I use one of these on the boat

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000.html

you can when required swap your dongle between router and pc to control access

Ray

I use one of these-http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTN66U/ - which is primarily ahome cable broadband router but works very well off a USB dongle or a mobile phone. It supports multiple hotspot names, so you can give the kid access to his own WiFi network, and it can automatically shut off access at certain times. Also, it's very reliable and fast. I've been using wireless networks since before WiFi and have been through countless routers - thus is one of the best...

I shall look into all of these and hope to be able to stop the moaning soon!

If you obtain your WiFi internet connection via an external wireless/LAN bridge or other LAN cable feed, you can distribute the connectivity within your boat by plugging the LAN cable into a suitable wireless router configured to provide your own private internal wireless network.

I wrote these instructions on how to re-configure an old modem/router you may have lying around to achieve this, since household broadband providers tend to leave old routers behind when you upgrade or change:

TO CONFIGURE WIRELESS MODEM/ROUTER AS WIFI HOTSPOT HOSTED BY LAN INTERNET FEED
Power up your old wireless modem/router. Reset device to factory defaults, usually by pressing and holding recessed reset button to rear.
Connect LAN cable from any LAN (not WAN) port on router to PC/laptop.
Enter routers static IP address into PC's browser. This is usually 192.168.1.1. or maybe 192.168.1.254. It should be shown on base of router together with configuration username and password plus default WiFi key.
When routers config login frame appears on browser enter requested username and password. "admin" and "admin" usually work.
You should now be in the routers main config menu. They vary enormously but ignore any modem settings since you won't be using that part. You want to find the sub menu's that allow you to edit the following:
Change the wireless SSID to a unique name you recognise say "My WiFi".
Turn off DHCP since the host will be providing the auto IP address allocation and you don't want clashes.
Change static IP address (the one you are connected to now) to one different but on same subset as the hosts and outside its DHCP address range. Say 192.168.1.30. This will be the new static IP address to accces the wireless router menu.
Note that after turning off DHCP and changing static IP address you will loose config menu on browser after router re-boots to implement changes.
However if you now unplug LAN cable from PC and connect to LAN feed from the host, it will provide DHCP through your newly configured wireless router working on a pass-through basis. You should then be able to access the full network wirelessly after choosing the device by name and entering wireless key.
Although you will now be able to access the wireless routers config menu wirelessly if needed, using the static IP address you chose, you won't when the host is disconnected because you disabled DHCP on the wireless router. To allow a stand-alone connection to the re-configured wireless router you will need to re-connect the LAN cable to the PC and configure its LAN adaptor to any unique static IP address on the same subset, say 192.168.1.20