length restrictions

RickH

Featured Posts

Hi all .

As far as I'm aware there is a max length of 57'6" on only two canals , the Calder &Hebble and the Huddersfield Broad . I've heard that you can actually take a 60ft through these locks if you either put the boat at an angle or in fact go in backwards , bow to cill . Is this true ?

Thanks !

Depends if it's a "long" 60' or a "short" 60', I believe from posts on here- worth accurately measuring the boat beforehand.

Well that brings up another question . I had a 25ft sailboat in California which had to be measured for a slip , they measured from the fathest point forward to the farthest point aft including anything underwater , my boat ended up being 27'6" ! So are the measurements to be taken the same on a NB ? Fore and aft buttons can be lifted obviously .

Well that brings up another question . I had a 25ft sailboat in California which had to be measured for a slip , they measured from the fathest point forward to the farthest point aft including anything underwater , my boat ended up being 27'6" ! So are the measurements to be taken the same on a NB ? Fore and aft buttons can be lifted obviously .

Our 23ft boat is tip to tip 25ft!

Obviously it's 23 when it comes to paying harbour dues but its 25 if a passer by asks ;)

Never been to Well Creek myself,but I thought there was a length restriction of 45ft?I think there may have been a post recently,but I cant find it.

Brandon lock at the end of Brandon creek nearby has a nominally 45' lock, but we've taken our 72' boat through Well Creek with no problems.

The Middle Level locks are various lengths, but if you have a really old map Stanground Sluice is shown as 46 feet: it has since been lengthened.

By and large I'd say Bradshaws 1904 is accurate for maximum sizes without pushing the boundaries except inf a few instances where locks ahve subsequently been enlarged, or even added. It's useless on the Nene and the upper Thames for example. However, CRT's suggestion that the maximum length on the Calder and Hebble is 54 feet is badly out, it's at least 57 feet. Taking boats longer than this is something really only to try if you happen to own a longer boat. I wouldn't buy a longer boat in the hopes it will be alright.

I can categorically state that 62 feet will NOT fit down the Huddersfield Broad Canal!

Back when it was only boats under 20m that needed to use VHF radio on the Thames I often used to find that our 67ft boat shrank by 2ft when it passed through Limehouse lock. Must have been the cold river water that did it wink.png

But it definitely wouldn't go through Brandon lock. A helpful but mistaken man from the EA told me it could go through but after 10 minutes of trying including looking for any way to open the gates at both ends because there was actually no difference in level across it, that was when I saw the sign saying the guillotine would descend automatically after 15 minutes. I reversed back out rather rapidly!

We are a nominal 58ft, slightly less at the waterline, slightly more tip to tip, although I don't have the measurements on hand and didn't really seek to record how close we where, we had no issues on the Huddersfield Broad and up to Mirfield to the old Ledgard Bridge, Heron Boats yard.

Daniel

I believe that the locks north of York, up to Ripon are only 57' 6".

We were once told by a marina operator on the Calder & Hebble that he'd managed to get a 62 footer through to his location. I wouldn't want to try it!

Bob

Edit to make more sense

Edited by lyraboat

Back when it was only boats under 20m that needed to use VHF radio on the Thames I often used to find that our 67ft boat shrank by 2ft when it passed through Limehouse lock. Must have been the cold river water that did it ;)

But it definitely wouldn't go through Brandon lock. A helpful but mistaken man from the EA told me it could go through but after 10 minutes of trying including looking for any way to open the gates at both ends because there was actually no difference in level across it, that was when I saw the sign saying the guillotine would descend automatically after 15 minutes. I reversed back out rather rapidly!

Do you mean Upware Lock? Brandon has V doors at the lower end but Upwaed Lock onto the lodes has guillotines both end.

You can get 48 feet through the nominal 45' Brandon lock, and could probably get a 50' through with care.

Do you mean Upware Lock? Brandon has V doors at the lower end but Upwaed Lock onto the lodes has guillotines both end.

You can get 48 feet through the nominal 45' Brandon lock, and could probably get a 50' through with care.

Yes, you are right, I was confusing Brandon Lock with Upware Lock.

I was in too much of a hurry to take any pictures at Upware, but this shows how far we couldn't get into Brandon.

P1040389r.jpg