Unidentified Engine problem, advice needed.

Featured Posts

A while ago my engine decided it was going to lock up completely, it won't turn over at all. I've had an engineer come and take a look. He has taken off the drive plate and the top of the engine and can't see any obvious problems. I'm not really sure where I go from here.... He suggested that I should get the engine taken out and rebuilt and said that it would cost about £3.5k which I can't really afford any time soon. Can anyone confirm for me that this is the only way forward, or should I get a different engineer to come and look. Is there any hope that it can be fixed without removing it from the boat? Any ideas are welcome as I am completely stuck.

Thanks.

I'd get a second opinion.

Has your engineer removed the cylinder head or just the rocker box ?

If he has taken the head off can you turn the engine over by hand, using a socket and bar on the bottom pulley nut ?

If you can't, there is a possibility that a big end/main bearing or piston may have seized.

What type of engine is it ?

I'd get a second opinion.

Has your engineer removed the cylinder head or just the rocker box ?

If he has taken the head off can you turn the engine over by hand, using a socket and bar on the bottom pulley nut ?

If you can't, there is a possibility that a big end/main bearing or piston may have seized.

What type of engine is it ?

Thanks.

He just removed the rocker box I think ( I know nothing about engines) It won't turn over by hand. What Are my options if it is the big end or a seized piston?

It is an Isuzu engine. The paper work I have for it tells me that it is a Beta Marine type B3KC1 22bhp The gearbox is a PRM

Whats the engine & gearbox make?

Prop clear/gear box in neutral?

Starter battery charged?

Stupid basic I know.

Bod

Yes, all the obvious things have been checked. It is proper locked up...

Were there any problems leading up to the total lock up ?

No, not at all. I was out on it for a few hours one weekend and it was completely fine. The following weekend I started it in the marina and let it run for an hour and it was also fine. A few weeks after that I went to start it and it was completely locked.

Edited by Delta9

Silly 2 questions,

1 has he taken the belts off the front, could be the alternator seized, There wa a case of that on here about a month ago I think

2 Has the starter motor been removed as that could also be seized, both 10 minute jobs.

No, not at all. I was out on it for a few hours one weekend and it was completely fine. The following weekend I started it in the marina and let it run for an hour and it was also fine. A few weeks after that I went to start it and it was completely locked.

Unlikely to be crank/big end bearing seized then, could be a hydraulic lock if liquid has entered one of the cylinders,

Silly 2 questions,

1 has he taken the belts off the front, could be the alternator seized, There wa a case of that on here about a month ago I think

2 Has the starter motor been removed as that could also be seized, both 10 minute jobs.

I presume he has. He was trying to turn it by hand using the nut on the front. I thought it was the starter motor when I first got the problem so he checked that first.

Only suggestion I had left was hydraulic lock

Can't be hydraulic lock as the engine would still turn backwards by hand.

I'm very much inclined to think this bod helping you has only made a cursory attempt at diagnosis.

MtB

Was your engine water level OK and is it still the same now, if you had a problem with the head gasket between water jacket and cylinder I would have expected it to boil up, on the other hand it may have caused the influx of water to one of the cylinders.

At least a head gasket job, if that's what it turns out to be.

Not too sure how to check, you could take out all the glow plugs and see if it will turn over by hand, if there is any water in the cylinders it should come out.

I'm very much inclined to think this bod helping you has only made a cursory attempt at diagnosis.

MtB

You are probably right, he did seem a bit quick to tell me it was completely buggered.

So, can anyone recommend a good mobile engineer for a second opinion, in the Napton/Braunston area?

Was your engine water level OK and is it still the same now, if you had a problem with the head gasket between water jacket and cylinder I would have expected it to boil up, on the other hand it may have caused the influx of water to one of the cylinders.

At least a head gasket job, if that's what it turns out to be.

Not too sure how to check, you could take out all the glow plugs and see if it will turn over by hand, if there is any water in the cylinders it should come out.

Water level doesn't appear to have changed since before the problem started.

You really need to take off the starter motor and try to turn the motor. Look at the same time for any bright and shiny metal damage on the bendix.

If the engine still won't turn by hand then remove the alternator.

It sounds as though you left the motor and the last time that you used it all was fine. You then went to use it again and it was solid?

I would be very surprised if the engine was in need of a full overhaul following what you have described.

MtB

Mike we don't know if the fella tried to turn the engine the other way plus he only tried by hand , no mention of a spanner.

Phil

You are probably right, he did seem a bit quick to tell me it was completely buggered.

So, can anyone recommend a good mobile engineer for a second opinion, in the Napton/Braunston area?

Water level doesn't appear to have changed since before the problem started.

It doesn't take much water to form a hydraulic lock, just enough to seep into the cylinder which is on its compression stroke, doubt you would notice that amount missing from header tank.

Phil

Mike we don't know if the fella tried to turn the engine the other way plus he only tried by hand , no mention of a spanner.

Phil

I'm pretty sure he tried to turn it both ways, and he used a big wrench. It doesn't move at all.

MtB

Wouldn't that kind of depend on if the fluid was in one cylinder or both and/or on the position of the piston in the flooded cylinder?