What's East of Castleford?

John P

Featured Posts

I will be taking Solong from Sowerby Bridge to Leeds next month. I have six days to get there which is more than enough, so I was thinking of making a diversion. There are several routes diverging to the East of Castleford, but is there anything worth seeing/visiting for a pint, or are they just for "canal tickers"?

I will be taking Solong from Sowerby Bridge to Leeds next month. I have six days to get there which is more than enough, so I was thinking of making a diversion. There are several routes diverging to the East of Castleford, but is there anything worth seeing/visiting for a pint, or are they just for "canal tickers"?

Depends how you define a 'canal ticker'.

We love much east of Castleford some may not.

I'd recommend a trip up to Selby - a nice enough stretch of the A&C, followed by a very nice canal, with a nice enough town at the end of it.

The Selby can be bad for weeds, but that overgrown, river-y quality is also part of its charm. It's narrow and quiet with dense foliage on the banks. We've also seen more kingfishers there than anywhere else on the system.

The Selby Canal is a very nice cruise, and Selby is a good place to visit, with mooring by the Ouse lock (good fun watching boats coming into the lock off the speeding river).

And how can you miss out on the chance to come and see Sheffield ? (list of good pubs supplied on request).

Mac of Cygnet, on 22 Mar 2014 - 02:37 AM, said:

The mooring at Haddlesey at the start of the Selby canal is one of my favourites, quiet and sheltered with an excellent pub 1/2 mile in either direction.

Totally agree - a very nice mooring and a very pretty canal. For some reason I expected the Selby to be a bit grim and was pleasantly (very pleasantly) surprised at how pretty it is when we came around to do it. The opportunities for random mooring are limited but the moorings that there are (like at the flood lock) are very nice too.

As to the OP - other places to consider East of Castleford.

Whitley lock or Eggborough - the VM's at the lock are nicer but Eggborough is better for access to the village (pub and shops)

Pollington, nice VM's with pubs x 2 via. a short walk.

VM's at Sykehouse Juncion or on the opposite side which is not limited to 72 hours. Not much nearby but a tranquil spot.

Barnby Dun

Through Doncaster to Sprotbrough - a very nice run on the river Don after Doncaster. (check the winter stoppages though they are/were doing the lock). You would swear you could be in France as you travel that section.

Goole - the VM's are nice enough even though they are located just off a working dock lots of old working boats to see and the Yorkshire waterways Museum is worth a look, it is directly adjacent to the VM's. Goole itself is a bit grim but interesting none the less.

Much of the A&CN and the South Yorkshire Navigations are not what you would call particularly scenic or pretty so don't come expecting the beauty of the Leeds and Liverpool between Skipton and Barnoldswick for example, plus because the surrounding area is very flat they were able to build some very long straight canals like the New junction canal or sections like the long straights between Knottingley and Goole on the A&CN, some will find that undemanding it does however have it's gems as listed above. Plus operating the big electric lift bridges and of course the hydraulic locks (all CRT key operated) adds something different to the experience.

I think DH has covered it fairly well.

Continuing on The South Yorkshire past Doncaster try going all the way to Sheffield. Public transport is good there for visits to many places. (Meadow Hell, sorry, Hall for one).

We love Leeds, that's why we're here. There's a wonderful market area, then the exact opposite, Victoria Quarter (don't forget your gold card!). Visit Thwait Mills, the medical museum at St. James' Hospital, the industrial museum at Armley Mills.

Bob

Immediately East of Castleford is Ferrybridge. I made the mistake of mooring there once, on hope of having a decent pub meal. Post-apocalyptic doesn't quite cover it!

Having said that, the Don aqueduct is interesting and if you keep heading east, you can go and play on the mighty Trent, which is fab!

Immediately East of Castleford is Ferrybridge. I made the mistake of mooring there once, on hope of having a decent pub meal. Post-apocalyptic doesn't quite cover it!

Having said that, the Don aqueduct is interesting and if you keep heading east, you can go and play on the mighty Trent, which is fab!

Yes, I think as well as pointing out the good places we should also warn him about the sh*tholes (at the risk of offending Lady M)

Edited to say that of course the OP won't have time to get anywhere near the Trent, but Keadby I think also falls into that category.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Yes Ferrybridge itself is not what you would call aesthetically pleasing and I concede based on comments on here we have never bothered with the pub. BUT the VM's are not bad nor are the moorings opposite which have bollards. A nice spot to stop if you have a dog or for a summer BBQ - just don't particularly expect the town to be nice.

Plus whilst Keadby itself might be a bit dire the run up the S&K particularly between west Bramwith and Thorne is actually quite pleasant.

Totally agree - a very nice mooring and a very pretty canal. For some reason I expected the Selby to be a bit grim and was pleasantly (very pleasantly) surprised at how pretty it is when we came around to do it. The opportunities for random mooring are limited but the moorings that there are (like at the flood lock) are very nice too.

As to the OP - other places to consider East of Castleford.

Whitley lock or Eggborough - the VM's at the lock are nicer but Eggborough is better for access to the village (pub and shops)

Pollington, nice VM's with pubs x 2 via. a short walk.

VM's at Sykehouse Juncion or on the opposite side which is not limited to 72 hours. Not much nearby but a tranquil spot.

Barnby Dun

Through Doncaster to Sprotbrough - a very nice run on the river Don after Doncaster. (check the winter stoppages though they are/were doing the lock). You would swear you could be in France as you travel that section.

Goole - the VM's are nice enough even though they are located just off a working dock lots of old working boats to see and the Yorkshire waterways Museum is worth a look, it is directly adjacent to the VM's. Goole itself is a bit grim but interesting none the less.

Much of the A&CN and the South Yorkshire Navigations are not what you would call particularly scenic or pretty so don't come expecting the beauty of the Leeds and Liverpool between Skipton and Barnoldswick for example, plus because the surrounding area is very flat they were able to build some very long straight canals like the New junction canal or sections like the long straights between Knottingley and Goole on the A&CN, some will find that undemanding it does however have it's gems as listed above. Plus operating the big electric lift bridges and of course the hydraulic locks (all CRT key operated) adds something different to the experience.

Yes all of the above I love Selby and Thorne my list is endless

Peter

Yes Ferrybridge itself is not what you would call aesthetically pleasing and I concede based on comments on here we have never bothered with the pub. BUT the VM's are not bad nor are the moorings opposite which have bollards. A nice spot to stop if you have a dog or for a summer BBQ - just don't particularly expect the town to be nice.

Plus whilst Keadby itself might be a bit dire the run up the S&K particularly between west Bramwith and Thorne is actually quite pleasant.

And if you stop in Stainforth, the moorings at the pub garden, (The New Inn) - their beer is so so, but the scram is excellent value - and they do the biiiiiggest mixed grill I've ever seen (£12) - and free mooring for patrons!

As you are coming from Sowerby Bridge, you probably know about the Weat Yorkshire bus and train ticket, £7.20 all day. If you get into South Yorkshire (eg Thorne) there'a similar bus/train/tram ticket for all of South Yorkshire for a similar price.

I've moved up and lived in the Goole / selby area for around twenty years now. This area is kind of the engine room of the UK with three large power stations close together. If you have a good look around Goole at the old shipping offices, market and other victorian buildings there is a lot to see. If you want ' pretty ' on the canal system in this area then maybe head through York and up to the Ripon canal.