Tour de Yorkshire

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

We are thinking of heading up Yorkshire way for the Grand Depart of the Tour de France. We might go to Skipton / Silsden on the L&L. Or we might go to Hebdon Bridge on the Rochdale or possibly Leeds or Huddersfield. Maybe even Sheffield or York (York being a dodgy choice as this would rely on the Ouse behaving itself). Presumably others are planning a trip? I wonder if we'll manage to get moored up anywhere.

We are thinking of heading up Yorkshire way for the Grand Depart of the Tour de France. We might go to Skipton / Silsden on the L&L. Or we might go to Hebdon Bridge on the Rochdale or possibly Leeds or Huddersfield. Maybe even Sheffield or York (York being a dodgy choice as this would rely on the Ouse behaving itself). Presumably others are planning a trip? I wonder if we'll manage to get moored up anywhere.

You could always join the boat gathering at Hebden Bridge.

I know of a perfect spot on the L&L just below Skipton where you can moor and watch the cycling without any interferance from any other onlookers. Ideally placed above the road, so you can sit on the roof of the boat and watch it pass by or inside if the weather is bad. Where is this spot I hear you say? Dont be daft I aint sharing it cos I'm gonna be there.

• 2 weeks later...

I know of a perfect spot on the L&L just below Skipton where you can moor and watch the cycling without any interferance from any other onlookers. Ideally placed above the road, so you can sit on the roof of the boat and watch it pass by or inside if the weather is bad. Where is this spot I hear you say? Dont be daft I aint sharing it cos I'm gonna be there.On your own !

Not sure where your proposing to moor, but the route into Skipton is on the old Otley road, up the high street and out onto the Grassington road.

Not near enough to the canal to see, unless you have some great binoculars, or your putting your boat on a truck!!!!!!!!!

cheers

ETA route map link

http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-1

Edited by Bazza954

Not sure where your proposing to moor, but the route into Skipton is on the old Otley road, up the high street and out onto the Grassington road.

Not near enough to the canal to see, unless you have some great binoculars, or your putting your boat on a truck!!!!!!!!!

cheers

ETA route map link

Aw - don't go and spoil Darren's fun! :)

I did wonder about that when Darren posted having looked at the route previously.

Stage 2 (York to Sheffield) however does cross the L&L in Silsden and is as far as I can see the nearest you could get to actually seeing it from the Leeds and Liverpool itself.

Then there is the Rochdale of course which gets very close to the route in and around Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd.

cheers

ETA route map link

Top of the Springs branch perhaps?

Seriously folks, speaking as an ex racing cyclist and frequent spectator, it's a waste of time watching the racing at ground level, the bunch will zip through eg Silsden in a matter of seconds. You need to go to the top of a big hill or halfway down a long descent, which would be my choice. It's not particularly impressive how fast these guys go uphill though at least you have a bit more observation time, but what does amaze you is how fast they go down, it's truly beyond belief.

I did wonder about that when Darren posted having looked at the route previously.

Stage 2 (York to Sheffield) however does cross the L&L in Silsden and is as far as I can see the nearest you could get to actually seeing it from the Leeds and Liverpool itself.

Then there is the Rochdale of course which gets very close to the route in and around Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd.

The route is directy alongside the canal from Hebden much of the way to Mytholmroyd, crossing over at Fallingroyd Tunnel.

• 4 weeks later...

The banners are out. The advertising is everywhere! I for one can't wait to go see the Tour! Once in a lifetime (maybe) opportunity! Boat based isn't looking like an option, so I am going to recce the most Northern part of the stages to see where to set up a land camp!

Edited by steven wilkinson

I know of a perfect spot on the L&L just below Skipton where you can moor and watch the cycling without any interferance from any other onlookers. Ideally placed above the road, so you can sit on the roof of the boat and watch it pass by or inside if the weather is bad. Where is this spot I hear you say? Dont be daft I aint sharing it cos I'm gonna be there.

Oh for flips sake. What a wazark! I blame the other half. Just checked the route, after been told by someone else its not off where I was told. Its easy to find where its going just look for the newly laid tarmac and filled pot holes. Time to find another spot.

Ooops! Sorry

I admit my wrong advice. Not like some folk on here! Lol. Sorry

• 1 month later...

BUMP.

We're currently in Manchester, heading for Skipton for 'Le Tour'

Anyone any idea what the mooring situation there is likely to be aroundabout the first week of July?

The word is that all the roads in the area will be closed and the only mode of public transport operating will be train

I'm wondering if this chaos will extend to the canal as well.

Seriously folks, speaking as an ex racing cyclist and frequent spectator, it's a waste of time watching the racing at ground level, the bunch will zip through eg Silsden in a matter of seconds. You need to go to the top of a big hill or halfway down a long descent, which would be my choice. It's not particularly impressive how fast these guys go uphill though at least you have a bit more observation time, but what does amaze you is how fast they go down, it's truly beyond belief.

As a keen amateur cyclist I would fully agree with this. You'll wait a couple of hours and the peloton will be past in a couple of seconds.The best way to see the race is at the top of a mountain where you've spent a couple of hours cycling up it. Have a rest to watch the race then cycle back down it.

The alternative is on the Champs Elysees to watch Cavendish win the sprint and then see Froome awarded the Maillot Jaune and Cav the Maillot Vert. clapping.gif

Edited by Chalky

Moor in Huddersfield and get a taxi to the top of Holme Moss for the best vantage point of the two days.

Or a bus to Holmefirth and walk or cycle...

Edited by Dave_P

Ok been home for 10 days and now heading back to boat to avoid the tour.... Live in Penistone (couple of miles from Langset). If any one wants to use house for this leg let know by Tues morn. So that I can change beds and leave keys with our friends(also tour nuts!) 2 doubles and 1 single ....feel sorry for the couple getting married at Cubley Hall .. None of the guests can get there cos roads all closed for race.

Ok been home for 10 days and now heading back to boat to avoid the tour.... Live in Penistone (couple of miles from Langset). If any one wants to use house for this leg let know by Tues morn. So that I can change beds and leave keys with our friends(also tour nuts!) 2 doubles and 1 single ....feel sorry for the couple getting married at Cubley Hall .. None of the guests can get there cos roads all closed for race.

btw, if you check the Tour website, just look under "Mountain passes and Hills" for the Yorkshire stages. I lived around there for some years, but am unfamiliar with many of the waypoints. Such as "Côte de Blubberhouses", "Côte de Bradfield" and the romantically named "Côte de Jenkin Road". They sound like delightful places.

Both main arteries from Skipton south are closed. The Keighley road and the Ilkley road from daft o'clock. It maybe me but Skipton seems to be getting full already. Behind the Rendezvous hotel ( nowhere near the route) to Snaygill has about 8 boats moored already. Quite a few are unfamiliar boats. This weekend I noticed about 6 boats on the move which were outsiders. That is boats with Birmingham and other southern cities/towns sign written on them.

Oh dont rub it in! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Totally his own fault!

But - other than that - what a fantastic day for Yorkshire. The crowds were amazing, and the coverage showed it off brilliantly! I have watched every inch of it, switching between ITV4 and Eurosport when the adverts came on! I even recorded the GP qualifying, rather than miss any of it!

Totally his own fault!

But - other than that - what a fantastic day for Yorkshire. The crowds were amazing, and the coverage showed it off brilliantly! I have watched every inch of it, switching between ITV4 and Eurosport when the adverts came on! I even recorded the GP qualifying, rather than miss any of it!

Jury is out I think on fault, he perhaps was trying way too hard, though a replay does indeed show him leaning a bit too much perhaps.

Likely to out now as it looks like a broken collar bone.

Agree, apart from some of the technical issues early on the coverage was excellent and the crowds were amazing.

Looking forward to stage 2....