Tour de Yorkshire

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Seriously folks, speaking as an ex racing cyclist and frequent spectator, it's a waste of time watching the racing at ground level, the bunch will zip through eg Silsden in a matter of seconds. You need to go to the top of a big hill or halfway down a long descent, which would be my choice. It's not particularly impressive how fast these guys go uphill though at least you have a bit more observation time, but what does amaze you is how fast they go down, it's truly beyond belief.

Another ex-bikie here and totally agree, 60mph downhill, completely fearless and hard as nails with it. If they come off they just climb back on again (provided not broken too much) they make footballers look like wimps.

Phil

According to the beeb, Cav has accepted responsibility and has a dislocated shoulder and ligament damage. May not start tomorrow. He arsed it up, his team lost it when Spartacus went on the rampage. I must admit I thought Sagan would win it, perfect finish for him, but Kittel is really developing into a class act.

According to the beeb, Cav has accepted responsibility and has a dislocated shoulder and ligament damage. May not start tomorrow. He arsed it up, his team lost it when Spartacus went on the rampage. I must admit I thought Sagan would win it, perfect finish for him, but Kittel is really developing into a class act.

http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en/news/show/mark-cavendish-update/1826

http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?article=60

When I got hit by a car and damaged the rotor cuff if was agony for weeks. I really feel for him.

Fingers crossed

Paul Sherwen's historical inaccuracies continue to provide much amusement.

The great Tommy Simpson according to Sherwen came from Haworth in Yorkshire. Simpson wasn't even a Yorkshireman and in fact was born in Harworth in Nottinghamshire.

Our dry stone walls are apparently "100 years old". Most of them were built during the Napoleonic wars a little while earlier.

Paul Sherwen's historical inaccuracies continue to provide much amusement.

The great Tommy Simpson according to Sherwen came from Haworth in Yorkshire. Simpson wasn't even a Yorkshireman and in fact was born in Harworth in Nottinghamshire.

Our dry stone walls are apparently "100 years old". Most of them were built during the Napoleonic wars a little while earlier.

He corrected his error re Simpson later in his commentary.

Another excellent days racing and a splendid finish by the Italian Nibali, completely took them by surprise at the end.

And that last climb up 'Côte de Jenkin Road' was painful just watching.

Who's on the canal near the A629 where the road follows the canal?

I didn't spot any boats there but there were few on the Ouse at York and a very brief glimpse was caught of Silsden's boats on the aerial shot as they crossed the Leeds and Liverpool at Silsden. (they are right by the road bridge there).

They were on an advert break as they went past us at Hebden Bridge so we didn't get spotted.

We've had a great time here. Many thanks to Diana of the IWA West Riding Branch who organised all the moorings.

Yes the bluddy ad. breaks, the only thing that spoil it for me. I think we missed the centre of Skipton yesterday for the same reason.

They were also too frequent, and I think if I saw that robot Brian carrying that one million pound cheque once more, I may have told him where to shove it.

That said the coverage was very good overall and showed the county and the folk watching it in a very good light. The camera work was excellent apart from the odd technical glitch which you often get on outside broadcasts that cover fast moving events like this.

I just hope people realise that all those glorious landscapes were computer generated and they understand it's not like that at all.

Yes the bluddy ad. breaks, the only thing that spoil it for me. I think we missed the centre of Skipton yesterday for the same reason.

They were also too frequent, and I think if I saw that robot Brian carrying that one million pound cheque once more, I may have told him where to shove it.

That said the coverage was very good overall and showed the county and the folk watching it in a very good light. The camera work was excellent apart from the odd technical glitch which you often get on outside broadcasts that cover fast moving events like this.

I just hope people realise that all those glorious landscapes were computer generated and they understand it's not like that at all.

I know this is well off topic but we had some American guests last summer who came up here because they had discovered the famous curved railway viaduct featured in the Harry Potter films wasn't done by CGI as they assumed. It is of course the famous Glenfinnan viaduct on the West Highland line but our friends from over the pond wouldn't believe it was real until they had actually seen it in the flesh.

This is the world we live in now I suppose.

I didn't spot any boats there but there were few on the Ouse at York and a very brief glimpse was caught of Silsden's boats on the aerial shot as they crossed the Leeds and Liverpool at Silsden. (they are right by the road bridge there).

We were moored on the Skipton side of the bridge. Saw the helicopter, wonder if he got a shot of our boat?

Watched just on the downhill side.

Quite a fantastic sight when the peleton came over the hump, a solid wall of bikes right across the road.

I was surprised anyone finished today considering the conditions and cobblestones they had to ride over. Makes the complaints about some of Yorkshires narrow roads seem a bit superfluous

The cobbles are used every year for the Paris Roubaix, one of the spring classics / Monuments of cycling. The teams often use specially constructed bikes since the pave tends to destroy standard race frames. It's not known as "the Hell of the North" for nothing.

http://www.letour.fr/paris-roubaix/2014/us/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris%E2%80%93Roubaix

Edited by Chalky

The cobbles are used every year for the Paris Roubaix, one of the spring classics / Monuments of cycling. The teams often use specially constructed bikes since the pave tends to destroy standard race frames. It's not known as "the Hell of the North" for nothing.

http://www.letour.fr/paris-roubaix/2014/us/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris%E2%80%93Roubaix

Interesting, thanks. I would have thought with the price of those bikes they ride they would chose the smoothest roads they could.:-). I just wonder what Bradley Wiggins is thinking at the moment

Much as I'm a great admirer of Dave Brailsford I think on this occasion he got his strategy wrong. Everyone had been talking about stage 5 being a crucial part of this years tour for some time and Chris Froome normally wouldn't be seen anywhere near roads/races of this type he's not that kind of rider, in fact his bike handling skills are a little suspect at this level. So there was always a risk that he was at the very least going to lose time on this stage.

Hindsight is a great thing, but it does demonstrate that Sky were keeping their fingers crossed for stage 5 which is not really what you expect of Sir Dave.

However, I suppose when Richey Porte climbs on to the podium in Paris all will be forgiven...