Re: 'Claiming Benefits like Housing if needed on water?'

Smudge38

Featured Posts

No need to keep changing if you use c/o address or for that matter use public transport. Are you saying a CCer can not get benefits, I get all mine

well only get 1 benefit at present

I think we both know what I am saying. To permanently stay in one council area demonstrates that this mythical CCer is actually, perish the thought, a CMer!

George ex nb Alton retired

I think we both know what I am saying. To permanently stay in one council area demonstrates that this mythical CCer is actually, perish the thought, a CMer!

George it demonstrates nothing you carry on with your anti CCers stuff no problem a CCer can easily claim benefits and stay withing the 1995 Act

George it demonstrates nothing you carry on with your anti CCers stuff no problem a CCer can easily claim benefits and stay withing the 1995 Act

I am not anti CCer and never have been. I AM anti CMer and always will be.

CMers calling themselves CCers cuts no ice with me and, I suspect, it cuts no ice with the majority of boaters.

I am not anti CCer and never have been. I AM anti CMer and always will be.

CMers calling themselves CCers cuts no ice with me and, I suspect, it cuts no ice with the majority of boaters.

You manage to take a question about benefits to your normal anti CCer stand. Firstly for 6 months of the year CCer can legally stay in one area and even claim for there winter mooring on benefits then for the remainder of the year they can continue to claim those benefits from the office they are registered at by using public transport. So your first post on this subject is completely wrong. I and a number of other boaters spend a lot of time helping boaters that have fallen on hard times and need benefits to survive unlike you I do not jump to unfounded conclusions.

I continually cruise and use my sisters address as my point of contact for mail and suchlike. However, I haven't been on an electoral roll since I sold my house in 2008. I did think about using her address to be registered on the electoral roll. However I am reluctant to do that as it might compromise her single person council tax discount. Has anyone registered in similar circumstances without affecting a persons discount?

Because records are now shared between council departments, other councils, courts etc then registering on the ER at your sisters address will compromise her discount even if you register as a lodger.

You manage to take a question about benefits to your normal anti CCer stand. Firstly for 6 months of the year CCer can legally stay in one area and even claim for there winter mooring on benefits then for the remainder of the year they can continue to claim those benefits from the office they are registered at by using public transport. So your first post on this subject is completely wrong. I and a number of other boaters spend a lot of time helping boaters that have fallen on hard times and need benefits to survive unlike you I do not jump to unfounded conclusions.

How can I be a CCer AND also hold a mooring?

Sorry, I did not realise that CCers claiming benefit were routinely in the habit of catching the train for a journey of, perhaps 150 miles, to record their claims.

CMers, on the other hand do catch the bus locally, I see them.

Nothing I say about CMers should be taken as an attack on people who have fallen on hard times. I know many CMers who work for a living in fixed locations, a feat which would be impossible for a CCer.

How can I be a CCer AND also hold a mooring?

Sorry, I did not realise that CCers claiming benefit were routinely in the habit of catching the train for a journey of, perhaps 150 miles, to record their claims.

CMers, on the other hand do catch the bus locally, I see them.

Nothing I say about CMers should be taken as an attack on people who have fallen on hard times. I know many CMers who work for a living in fixed locations, a feat which would be impossible for a CCer.

You can be a CCer and take a Winter Mooring

They do not need to go 150 miles if they move 5 miles every 14 days that would only be 30 miles maximum before they return for there winter moorings

I was talking about winter fuel but bus pass easy for CCers all you need is an address ACC have done a lot of work on this for their members

My wife was refused a bus pass as she had no postal address where we were. As the post office prohibit delivery of post to boats (for obvious reasons) and the council in question refused a Poste Restante address, and our son's address as it wasn't in their area I do not understand your comment about it being easy to get a bus pass.

Edited by Quinafloat

I'm confused about this issue so need to clarify a few points please.

If you own a boat you can get the license,mooring and boat safety paid for?

Innocent quetion here but who pays these fee's?

Does the social come and access your boat and its ownership?

How do you get a care of address with a local council and is it an entitlement by law?

thanks.

My wife was refused a bus pass as she had no postal address where we were. As the post office prohibit delivery of post to boats (for obvious reasons) and the council in question refused a Poste Restante address, and our son's address as it wasn't in their area I do not understand your comment about it being easy to get a bus pass.

Apply for the pass in the area of the postal address, if the son's is used.

I'm confused about this issue so need to clarify a few points please.

If you own a boat you can get the license,mooring and boat safety paid for?

Innocent quetion here but who pays these fee's?

Does the social come and access your boat and its ownership?

How do you get a care of address with a local council and is it an entitlement by law?

thanks.

Well, as far as HB, they will ask all the questions relating to ownership and who you pay your mooring fees to. For receiving post, you simple have to have a postal address; a friend, a relative's. Haven't tried poste restante. You need an address for many things, including bank accounts, driving licences, insurance policies, etc. You have to find the kind of address that is acceptable. No problem using a postal address.

C/o is not as widely used as it used to be to identify someone's address as belonging to someone that does not live at that address. C/o is usually dispensed with.

The councils pay the fees out of public funds.

Edited by Higgs

Apply for the pass in the area of the postal address, if the son's is used.

Well, as far as HB, they will ask all the questions relating to ownership and who you pay your mooring fees to. For receiving post, you simple have to have a postal address; a friend, a relative's. Haven't tried poste restante. You need an address for many things, including bank accounts, driving licences, insurance policies, etc. You have to find the kind of address that is acceptable. No problem using a postal address.

The councils pay the fees out of public funds.

Thanks

So if you had no mooring would they pay your CC license fees for example?

If yes is this paid monthly or in total as in comparison to a flat for example its a very small amount?

2 things you can do here the easiest is to apply in your sons area and then ask him to forward to Poste Restante address when he receives it. (for most councils you can apply on line) the other maybe slightly more of a pain is argue with the issuing authority that by law the only requirement is an address locally and they are not allowed to decide what is or is not a required address the other way is to ask a local chandlers/marina/pub if you can use their address but by far the easiest is to use your sons address the same as I did

What address do you use for your winter fuel allowance?

Thanks

So if you had no mooring would they pay your CC license fees for example?

If yes is this paid monthly or in total as in comparison to a flat for example its a very small amount?

There is no such thing as a CC Licence it is paid monthly in arrears

and they pay the insurance

Edited by cotswoldsman

2 things you can do here the easiest is to apply in your sons area and then ask him to forward to Poste Restante address when he receives it. (for most councils you can apply on line) the other maybe slightly more of a pain is argue with the issuing authority that by law the only requirement is an address locally and they are not allowed to decide what is or is not a required address the other way is to ask a local chandlers/marina/pub if you can use their address but by far the easiest is to use your sons address the same as I did

There is no such thing as a CC Licence it is paid monthly in arrears

and they pay the insurance

Is a CC License not a Continuous Cruiser license ?

Is a CC License not a Continuous Cruiser license ?

There is no such thing as a Continuous Cruiser Licence all licences are the same except the didgets that indicate location of home mooring in the case of Continuous Cruisers this has didgets that indicate no Home Mooring

There is no such thing as a Continuous Cruiser Licence all licences are the same except the didgets that indicate location of home mooring in the case of Continuous Cruisers this has didgets that indicate no Home Mooring

Ahh right thanks for clearing that up.

I know many CMers who work for a living in fixed locations, a feat which would be impossible for a CCer.

how impossible, I worked in Central London for two years and easily stayed within the CC guidelines, from Leighton Buzzard to Bishops Stortford and Hertford, with sorties down to Brentford and the Thames.

On the matter of applying for benefit online. This happened to me.

I filled out my JSA claim online and was given an appointment. On the appointment date, at the centre, going through the details of the online claim, there was a few questions I'd filled in that needed clarifying. Fine, lets just go into the online claim and do it. Nothing's that easy at the jobcentre They were even locked out of their system and the few changes needed couldn't be done there and online. They had to get an old fashioned paper version and we filled that in.

Oh, online is the way to go. Is it? The system is paranoid.

Edited by Higgs

I use my son's address for winter fuel allowance, but the reality of that situation is that it is basically a bank account transaction. I was actually looking for the correct way of getting a bus pass. I had written to the department of transport over this some years ago and they stated that being eligible and in a council's area were the criteria. However the council where I am for a few months still refused despite production of said letter. Why does it always rely on subterfuge for boaters to get what they are legally entitled to, or is lying a requirement of being a CC'er?

I use my son's address for winter fuel allowance, but the reality of that situation is that it is basically a bank account transaction. I was actually looking for the correct way of getting a bus pass. I had written to the department of transport over this some years ago and they stated that being eligible and in a council's area were the criteria. However the council where I am for a few months still refused despite production of said letter. Why does it always rely on subterfuge for boaters to get what they are legally entitled to, or is lying a requirement of being a CC'er?

If you are using your son's address (as your own) in order to provide a qualifiable address for your bank, or a driving licence/passport or whatever, it is no more, or less, subterfuge to use that address, and that Council, for your bus pass

As G&F said it does not require any lying you are entitled to a bus pass and they have to have an address to send it to I did say what to do in my earlier post but seems like you chose to ignore that. You seem happy to use your sons address for WF but not BP very odd.

You could always try phoning the electoral register offices where your son lives. Explain that you live permanently on a boat and have no mooring as you are continually cruising and that you would like to register at that address to enable you to have a vote. You should get a form to fill in and once you have that re-apply for a bus pass as you have a registered address. This works and as explained to me is perfectly legal. You are entitled to a vote and you are entitled to a bus pass.

As G&F said it does not require any lying you are entitled to a bus pass and they have to have an address to send it to I did say what to do in my earlier post but seems like you chose to ignore that. You seem happy to use your sons address for WF but not BP very odd.

Not odd at all. The DWP are fully aware that I am a boater and that my son's address is nothing more than a postal address. However we are nowhere near there at the moment. DWP are set up to handle that situation, hence I have had no problem with Winter Fuel Allowance. The DoT gave me clear instructions on obtaining a Bus Pass which are not being honoured by the local council unless my wife gives an address where she does not live. Driving licence and passport are further examples where, unlike DWP you have to give an address where you do not live, and in the case of driving licences there are penalties for not informing them of change of address. I am fully aware of the "tricks" that people, including myself, use to get round the problem. But to say that they are not deceitful is just kidding yourselves. I do not believe that any CCer with a driving licence informs DVLA every time he or she changes their physical address, as required by law. I know full well that DVLA does not honour the concept of a physical address being different from a postal address.

You could always try phoning the electoral register offices where your son lives. Explain that you live permanently on a boat and have no mooring as you are continually cruising and that you would like to register at that address to enable you to have a vote. You should get a form to fill in and once you have that re-apply for a bus pass as you have a registered address. This works and as explained to me is perfectly legal. You are entitled to a vote and you are entitled to a bus pass.

According to the DoT the requirement for a bus pass is that you are entitled to a bus pass if over a specified age and resident in the council area. Nothing more.

Because records are now shared between council departments, other councils, courts etc then registering on the ER at your sisters address will compromise her discount even if you register as a lodger.

I see, thanks.

So if it's not possible to register on the Electoral Roll without compromising a single persons Council Tax discount, how is one supposed to register? Or is that another crack we CC's fall through? Presumably I am still entitled to vote surely, so how does that work then?

Or would I be morally obliged to refund my sister the loss of her discount. Would that be another form of the dreaded 'Poll Tax'?

I am sure I can't be the only one in this situation. How do others manage I wonder.

I see, thanks.

So if it's not possible to register on the Electoral Roll without compromising a single persons Council Tax discount, how is one supposed to register? Or is that another crack we CC's fall through? Presumably I am still entitled to vote surely, so how does that work then?

Or would I be morally obliged to refund my sister the loss of her discount. Would that be another form of the dreaded 'Poll Tax'?

I am sure I can't be the only one in this situation. How do others manage I wonder.

You might find this useful voting for CCer is no problem http://www.associationofcontinuouscruisers.org.uk/resources/registering-to-vote/