Re: 'Claiming Benefits like Housing if needed on water?'

Smudge38

Featured Posts

According to the DoT the requirement for a bus pass is that you are entitled to a bus pass if over a specified age and resident in the council area. Nothing more.

Is that writ in stone by the DoT, or your interpretation?

My boat is worth £80k I own it and pay £10k a year residential mooring.

I have no money :rolleyes:

Will the state pay for me ???

Even if I have an asset 'worth' £80k ??

WTF?

(Theoretical question)

I have no money rolleyes.gif

WTF?

(Theoretical question)

Yes, providing you qualify.

I have no money :rolleyes:

WTF?

(Theoretical question)

The asset you live in is not included. What benefit do you wish to apply for?

I have no money rolleyes.gif

WTF?

(Theoretical question)

A depreciating asset, like a car, a TV, a computer, a pushbike, clothes etc, it doesnt count. The only thing that counts as an asset is savings, shares, money in your bank account, land or buildings owned.

You have to be over 35 (if single) to qualify for a 1 bedroomed house/flat (which a boat would count), otherwise you can only have a room in a shared house (allowance £220 pm), or a bedsit with shared kitchen & bathroom (so a boat wouldnt count). Then your fees have to be within the allwoance, £396 pm (dont know London prices), then they are arbitrarily left short without an explanation, & even then are only paid 4 weeks in arrears

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Thanks Ssscruddy.

I was interested that if one had considerable savings one could apparently spend it all on a boat and a nice car then claim HB for a mooring.

Whereas if one spent the savings on a land based dwelling this would not be possible.

Seems a bit odd that depreciating assets are not included in ability-to-pay calculations because they are an indicator of access to cash :)

Family of 4 BTW ;)

Just a bit odd that someone

Edit to add ignore last few words

No, if you recently had considerable savings & then spent it quick (eg to buy a boat) in order to get your savings below the £6k allowed, then they count it that you still have those savings & tuff luck.

Edit to add, what exactly is your point? Are you trying to say that HB shouldnt be allowed without actually saying it? Why not start a thread about the evils of benefits & how anyone on them, who according the DailyFail is living the life of luxury on £40+k pa, should in fact be hung drawn & quartered, while at the same time it's ok for a company director on £40+k pa to pay less tax & NI than a hospital cleaner on minimum wage, or how it's better for a non domicile spouse who clearly isnt earning the millions can have those earning put in their name even though they're living here but apparently not living here for tax purposes & even though their other half earnt the money here but apparently didnt just for tax purpose, so that they pay less tax on the millions 1 of them earnt here than ther cleaner on minimum wage who doesnt get that luxury.

Edited by Ssscrudddy
  • Greenie 1

"Notional Assets" is what I think it's called when you spend your money.

If you bought a house (before losing job & applying for benefits) for eg £180k, & it has £180k mortgage then you are deemed to have £180k assests, even though it belongs to the bank & you have zero assets! (nothing to do with notional assests now)

Edited by Ssscrudddy

"Notional Assets" is what I think it's called when you spend your money.

If you bought a house (before losing job & applying for benefits) for eg £180k, & it has £180k mortgage then you are deemed to have £180k assests, even though it belongs to the bank & you have zero assets! (nothing to do with notional assests now)

Surely your assets in the house would be the equity you currently had in the house - for example if you had 33% deposit and a 67% mortgage, in the £180k house, then your asset = equity = £60k. And if you have a repayment mortgage, then obviously it gradually rises. If you were in negative equity, then you'd have an additional liability (debt) etc.