bayliner binned. sealine 290?

Newtocanals1

Featured Posts

Hi again. Thank you for the previous welcomes and advice. I decided to decline the bayliner and look elsewhere. I've now seen a sealine 290. Its for the g and s canal and the river Severn / avon at bristol canal.

The model is twin diesel and may be more suited to canal handling. Had any on here owned or used this model and are they ok at low speeds?

No holding tank at the moment so will need to get that fitted for canal use.

As before very grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Jim

Simple answer they don't really do slow speeds, but then again neither would the Bayliner!

We use our single engined Sealine S23 inland and it is far from ideal but we manage. We are based on a canal the Fossdyke in Lincoln but we spend a lot of time on the rivers, estuaries and coast hence why we put up with the poor handling on the canal.

Your cooking will be has which will be better but you will still struggle with no hook up. It's going to be very expensive to run an AD41 which is 200hp for electric generation!

Does the G&S have the 4 miles per hour canal speed limit?

Bod

It will get under 4mph just!!

We have a friend who we cruise with a lot who has a Sealine 310 which is the slightly bigger and newer version of the 290. He manages just fine on the canal with that, although we all have the same problem in that the canal isnt very deep. Any obstruction in the bottom and the boats hit it. The lowest point of the boat is the props being hung off the stern drive and the props take the damage. You will have to get handy at changing the props with the boat in the water if you are going to keep it on the canal. We have three sets, one on the boat, a spare set in the anchor locker and usually the third set is off being refurbished. We can easily get through all three sets in a year.

The other thing to watch if you are going to use the boat on the canal is that they are indicrectly raw water cooled via a heat exchanger. Get a bag over the water intake and within a few seconds it will overheat. These engines need a lot of water to keep them cool. Always carry a few spare impellors and know how to change them. We put a speed seal on our water pump housing which makes changing the impellor easier.

With all of the downsides we wouldnt change the boat we have. Naughty-Cal has opened up a whole range of cruising options for us that we wouldnt have with a solely river or canal cruiser. If we had no intention of estuary or coastal cruising however Naughty-Cal would go in the blink of an eye as she is a handful on the canal. Take your eye off the ball for a second and she will dive for the bank, although that trait isnt quite as noticable on a twin engined sports cruiser.

You don't have to use the 2 engines! , just use one that has the power steering, and charges domestics ,

I have heard that it is possible to disconnect the turbo,. I'm not sure? The Ad41 200 use to be the AD40 165 hp. Before then it use to be 130 hp then was naturally aspirated

Buying for the canals maybe the wrong boat, but if you are doing RIvers and coastals then it will do all 3' better than having a canal boat that is only best suited for only one

Re depth

Also the out drives you can raise to the highest setting with out using button and toggle at the same time, but even the if your going slow you may get away with bringing the prop a bit higher

When we traveled as a group many years back, Our mate John had a 290 sealine, good boat, he had it for 4years, went every where

The canals of Europe, fair amount of river work, lots of the lumpy stuff,

Col

Edited by bigcol

You don't have to use the 2 engines! , just use one that has the power steering, and charges domestics ,

I have heard that it is possible to disconnect the turbo,. I'm not sure? The Ad41 200 use to be the AD40 165 hp. Before then it use to be

130 hp then was naturally aspirated

Buying for the canals it is the wrong boat, but if you are doing RIvers and coastals then it will do all 3' better than having a canal boat that is only best suited for I.

When we traveled as a group many years back, Our mate John had a 290 sealine, good boat, he had it for 4years, went every where

The canals of Europe, fair amount of river work, lots of the lumpy stuff,

Col

But then you will have no hot water!!

They are set up with power steering and domestic electrics on one engine and the hot water on the other!!

You cant disconnect the turbos as they over fuel. It is the KAD series engines with the compressor which you can fit a cut off switch too, although again they still overfuel so isnt the best idea overall.

There probably wont be much of a fuel saving running one engine versus the two in all fairness. On the canal your two engines will only be on tickover whereas if running one it would be working a bit harder as would you trying to keep it in a straight line.

As a comparision for you our KAD32 (4 cylinder supercharged and turbocharged 2.4l 170hp) uses about 4 litres per hour on the canal. Our friends AD41 (6 cylinder turobocharged 3.6l 200hp each) uses about 6l per hour on the canal with both engines running. The engines are essentially the same, ours being the smaller AD31 but with the supercharger added to counteract the turbo lag of the bigger turbo used to squeeze a few more horses out of the engine.

We tend to find that the fuel difference is pretty equal on a longer run as well. When we did the Broads we used a shade under 500 litres in the two weeks and they used a shade under 750 litres over the two weeks. So they dont use twice what we do having two engines.

Assuming the boat you are looking at had AD31's or AD41's they are pretty bullet proof provided they have been looked after.

Yes I'm pretty sure it does although there are one or two stretches between swing bridges where you could open it up a tad more. I'm assuming the river Severn etc doesn't have the same speed restrictions.

G&S has a 6 mph speed limit. I think the Severn above Gloucester is 6 mph upstream and 8 down. Out in the estuary from Sharpness I believe anything goes.

Having looked at Google images I agree so next question......

MD21A?

MD32A?

AQD21A?

AQD32A?

I wonder what the initials mean and what the numbers mean

MD21a is Peugot based 4 cylinder diesel

The MD32a is the 6 cylinder version

AQD is the outdrive version of either

It is easy to swap the 4 cylinder for the 6

From memory the MD21 is 68 ish H.P

The 32 is 108 H.P,

Both Good machines,DO NOT overheat!The heads can be scrap after a good cooking!

CT.

P.S. your boat will likely have a Volvo 270 outdrive?

Edited by cereal tiller

MD21a is Peugot based 4 cylinder diesel

The MD32a is the 6 cylinder version

AQD is the outdrive version of either

It is easy to swap the 4 cylinder for the 6

From memory the MD21 is 68 ish H.P

The 32 is 108 H.P,

Both Good machines,DO NOT overheat!The heads can be scrap after a good cooking!

CT.

P.S. your boat will likely have a Volvo 270 outdrive?

Hurrah! There's the info that I want - thanks mate.

I'm not sure about the outdrive. The mechanic at the marina said, after stripping it down to replace everything that was knackered, that he thought it was a 280 with a 270 top cover on (I think).

I did cook it once after the raw water cooling strainer failed but its been fine ever since.

CF52189F-C7AF-4C8C-8A5D-D576FFE5A272.jpg

Hee hee my boat won't prat about like that. S'only got half the engines

Hurrah! There's the info that I want - thanks mate.

I'm not sure about the outdrive. The mechanic at the marina said, after stripping it down to replace everything that was knackered, that he thought it was a 280 with a 270 top cover on (I think).

I did cook it once after the raw water cooling strainer failed but its been fine ever since.

The reason for not allowing these engines to over heat is that the block is cast Iron and the Head is aluminium.

The combustion chambers in the head have a 2 thou' ridge which protrudes beyond the surface of the head.

Should the engine be overheated too often the head can warp.

Skimming it level is not possible as the combustion chambers would protrude too much and be prone to cracking.

Otherwise a good machine,Peugot made good diesels in the seventies.

Some spares can be obtained from India,as the 4 cylinder has been used in the Mahindra Jeep. genuine Volvo spares are Very expensive

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

I'm confused - is it a volvo engine marinised by a firm called Penta?

Where does peugeot come in?

Forgive my ignorance - My marine engineering experience all came from steam turbines on oil tankers

Edited by Bazza2

Volvo Penta was/is the name Volvo used for their marine products,i think Penta means 5 star?

Before they made their own base engines they used other manufacturers stuff

The 100 (10 hp )volvo penta outboard and saildrive was based on the Honda of the period

Petrol inboard V8's were vehicle engines from the U.S.A.

Bigger volvo diesels were based on their own truck engines.

In the eighties there was a Volvo/Perkins based on the Montego/maestro engine.

Your AQD21 was based in a PEUGOT engine from the Seventies as Volvo did not make a 2-3 litre diesel "in house"

CT