cant wait to finally move on to a narrowboat

tjderby85

Featured Posts

Go and have another look.. We can't make your mind up for you.. Do your homework, look around very carefully, think about upcoming costs (bsc, blacking, engine serviced?) can always negotiate a full tank of diesel, blacking etc...

Also do look further afield.. Prices can vary quite a lot.

This one is v nice.... http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=202399

Bit more £££, but one of the best builders on the cut..

its nice but cant stretch my budget to that.

You said in the the other thread you had 20k, and you were seeking finance over and above that.

So why is a 25k boat suddenly over budget?

Bare in mind you won't actually pay £25k for that boat if you are serious about buying and the seller is serious about selling.

Do you actually want to buy a boat or are you just out to test the forums resilience?

Edited by The Dog House

You said in the the other thread you had 20k, and you were seeking finance over and above that.

So why is a 25k boat suddenly over budget?

Do you actually want to buy a boat or are you just out to take the piss?

£25k is the asking price - it may be 'buyable' at £20k

He who dares - wins !!!!

Sorry, but you come on here asking for help:

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM

thinking of going to take a 2nd look at annie may. ive got the money so should I or shouldn't I lol. hope to see some of you out an about in the summer

Then you critise folks for giving you advice:

Posted Yesterday, 11:16 PM

ill bare it in mind. and cant guarantee finance. and yes im going to buy a boat.oh and subject to not getting finance I have to factor in a surgey and first quarter mooring fees. so don't be questioning my intentions.

Do you want the help of the seasoned narrowboaters on here or not?

Edited by Ray T

ill bare it in mind. and cant guarantee finance. and yes im going to buy a boat.

oh and subject to not getting finance I have to factor in a surgey and first quarter mooring fees. so don't be questioning my intentions.

OK - I for one will leave you to it because I find the information you give appears conflicting and confusing and it can be difficult sometimes to give advice to someone who sometimes doesn't want to hear what is being said,

Good luck in your search for a boat.....

OK - I for one will leave you to it because I find the information you give appears conflicting and confusing and it can be difficult sometimes to give advice to someone who sometimes doesn't want to hear what is being said,

Good luck in your search for a boat.....

Glad I'm not the only one getting confused, thought it was just me.

Phil

I presume TJ is seeking reassurance that Annie May is the right boat. It's obviously a huge commitment buying a boat. Having a load of forum members give reassurance that its a good boat, that it is good value for money, and unlikely to sink, would no doubt reassure him.

However, this forum is not pushing him into his decision, which is perhaps what he wants, but instead throwing up alternatives, which he probably didn't want at the time, as he was obviously edging himself towards Annie May.

From what I can perceive, Annie May looks a decent tidy boat - and on other threads there has been a lot of advice given, especially in respect of how to go about putting in offers etc.. I hope TJ is grateful for this advice (I'm guessing he must be, as he keeps coming back to ask for more advice). However, at the end of the day, TJ - its your money, and your decision! Get to it!

Survey will be £500-1K, depending on where its done (craning vs slippage costs can vary a lot, shop around). If you haven't been given advice on which surveyor, do a search on here for recommended folk.

In my experience marinas want 6 months up front.. Marina costs also vary ALOT.. My 70fter would be £3.5k/yr in Castle Marina in Nottingham, but I pay less than half that where I am, and could pay even less at some other places.. Shop around.. Or cc for a few months if you are living on it.

Factor in CRT licence (guess £500 for a 40 ish ft boat). Insurance (£150-200 ish), River Canal Rescue probably a good idea (£100-150 ish)

Edited by FidoDido

Do you actually want to buy a boat or are you just out to test the forums resilience?

To be perfectly honest, I think that's a bit uncalled for. The OP is in the exact same position as myself, somebody who is researching buying a boat and who wants to get it right, and so is asking questions and passing on news of his progress on an appropriate forum.

On this forum, as well as many others, I find that 90% of the topics are not of any personal interest to me and I deal with this by leaving the thread to those who are interested in it.

In respect of the OP's question, I have looked at Annie May on Apollo Duck myself, and it did tick all of the right boxes for me. Or there's this, which looks within his budget?

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=343337

ill bare it in mind. and cant guarantee finance. and yes im going to buy a boat.

oh and subject to not getting finance I have to factor in a surgey and first quarter mooring fees. so don't be questioning my intentions.

Hey tj - don't let it get to you. I'll give you a piece of advice I received when new to the forum and it was one of the best pieces of advice I've received....learn to seperate the wheat from the chaff, and simply ignor the chaff, don't raise to it (or in some cases sink to their level) remember what you write can very easily be taken the wrong way, people only have what you have written to base their replies on. They don't have the benifit of your thought process, experiences or level of understanding of what is important to you. Sometimes it's worth coming back and giving clearer information and sometimes it's not.

Either way, stick with it; when you find the boat right for you, you'll know it in your head and heart. Just remember it's a big investment and go into it with your eyes as open as possible. The whole buying experience is very much fresh in my mind and I do remember just how daunting it really is.

Good Luck

B~

To be perfectly honest, I think that's a bit uncalled for. The OP is in the exact same position as myself, somebody who is researching buying a boat and who wants to get it right, and so is asking questions and passing on news of his progress on an appropriate forum.

On this forum, as well as many others, I find that 90% of the topics are not of any personal interest to me and I deal with this by leaving the thread to those who are interested in it.

In respect of the OP's question, I have looked at Annie May on Apollo Duck myself, and it did tick all of the right boxes for me. Or there's this, which looks within his budget?

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=343337

Noted...

Amount of sleep lost.... None

TJ, it sounds like you're still a little unsure. I can't decide what boat's best for you, but if you post a link to Annie May again I can look over it with a neutral viewpoint and point out anything you might have overlooked. I'm sure I could search previous threads of yours but I think you changed ID???

Another way to look at things - can you imagine yourself NOT buying a narrowboat in the near future?

hey guys finally have my normal id working. Im 90% sure annie may is the one. just want a 2nd viewing so I can view it with my head. and see if ive missed anything. all the other boats ive viewed have nothing on annie may.

and thanks for the useful advice, much appreciated.

TJ

The only things that sping to mind are

1) "Alvima catalytic heater" - I've not heard of these. Doesn't mean its bad, but make sure its a suitable and safe design of heater to use on a boat.

2) No mention of electrics eg number of domestic batteries, number/output of alternators, whether there is an inverter, mains hookup, charger etc. Adding a decent inverter can be expensive - so worth taking into account if you want one.

3) check it can accommodate 13kg gas bottles, not 6kg ones, the little ones are much more expensive and with the Morco, you'll be using a bit of it

Make sure the stove is okay too - replacement if eg cracked will cost a bit.

Can't think of anything else which springs immediately to mind....

She has 240v onboard, no inverter, 2 leisure batteries and one starter. the stove looks fine. as for the heater it passed the safety certificate. it has 2 13kg gas bottles. seen her once and fell in love lol. I want a 2nd viewing to think sensibly and with my head.

further to the heater if I go ahead and buy her I would consider taking the heater out and fitting a radiator with a back boiler on the stove. later down the line that is lol.

She has 240v onboard, no inverter, 2 leisure batteries and one starter. the stove looks fine. as for the heater it passed the safety certificate. it has 2 13kg gas bottles. seen her once and fell in love lol. I want a 2nd viewing to think sensibly and with my head.

further to the heater if I go ahead and buy her I would consider taking the heater out and fitting a radiator with a back boiler on the stove. later down the line that is lol.

How does it get 240v?

With a genny?