Unusual Pets on Boats?

nailora

Featured Posts

We have 5 guinea pigs (2 big cages for males and females separate) and 3 cats on our widebeam and an collapsable run which we put up outside if the weathers nice

Used to have a ferret on board when we had the narrow boat, as we used the rear as the main entrance I built cages to the shape of the front cratch which was covered

For exercise he was allowed to run around the boat at certain times but make sure you have no holes etc as they will go and hid in them

We had a leash for him and used to take him for walks on the towpath which did used to draw some interesting looks from people

With ferrets you really should have 2 but our one didn't seem to bother when his partner died

RIP Stupid the ferret, greatly missed

I saw a bloke years ago on the Oxford somewhere with a nice looking tug with a long foredeck

With a goat lying comfortably on it watching the world go by.

I think I saw that boat,a few years layer,,it was a bit gruff as I recall.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Our cockatiel loves living on the boat. So much so that he was quite grumpy for the first 3 months back in a house. I think he's as keen to get back on the boat as we are!

Cockatiels (or any small parrot) make excellent boat pets. Dependant on size, cage requirements aren't huge. They cope well with a bit of temperature fluctuation. Not much mess, no large stock of food to keep in. Ours flys up and down the boat and loves sitting in the window watching the world go by!

Dad's got a cockatoo - much larger! She loves the boat too, but would probably be too big to comfortable live on it.

I'm not a great fan of caging domestic ferrets. I've had mine free in the home and they used a litter box with low sides. They can be hard work though. And please get one from someone who breeds them as pets in their own home.

But if you're looking for a fairly intelligent pet that does well in a cage I'd get a couple of rats.

Edit: Or a hand fed parrotlet.

Edited by Caprifool

I wonder if anyone has ever had a pet beaver on a boat. Could send it out to cut the firewood rolleyes.gif

You'll get this thread closed down if you're not careful.

Why,,,I don't see anything wrong with that,,I understand they are brilliant at gnawing on the wood, yes very effective !. Let's be honest some of there efforts produce quite spectacular results.

If you could train them to manage the wood effectively,well why not !.

The only trouble I can for see with that,is making sure that it's only your wood that is being managed.

I don't have ferrets on my boat, but a few years ago I did seriously look into keeping ferrets after getting to know two awesome ones in a practice I worked in.

I have since wondered what pets I will have when my current cats expire (hopefully a long time in the future) and deduced that ferrets would be an eminently suitable boat pet, providing of course that you understand them and research them properly and ferret-proof the boat in the same way that you would a house.

This is my opinion as a boater, ferret enthusiast and veterinary nurse.

• Greenie 1

I kept chooks until I moved aboard and seriously considered bringing them with me. Converting the front cratch as a coop would have been simple enough but turning the roof into a fenced run was a step too far. Now I make do with a very naughty, but loveable cat.

What about a hamster, they are cute until they escape and then they are a pain as they gnaw their way through any woodwork to make nests. But they are ok. We have had lost as the kids grew up, also chipmunks, that could be do able. Watch out for teeth though. Whatever animal you have on board in a cage can be fairly aromatic..closedeyes.gif