Wood coal

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi whilst in a garage today I came across wood coal it was an asian selling it so he demanded a huge sum of money because he did not know the price! (he wanted £16.95 for 15 kilos its £9.99 for 20 kilos delivered) Anyway googled it when I got back and it turns out to be brown coal which I used to burn in Scotland. does anyone use this? and is their a supplier in south yorkshire? found national suppliers but would rather just pick up a bag as it says it can be used in a woodburner

Cheers

Peter

Hi whilst in a garage today I came across wood coal it was an asian selling it so he demanded a huge sum of money because he did not know the price! (he wanted £16.95 for 15 kilos its £9.99 for 20 kilos delivered) Anyway googled it when I got back and it turns out to be brown coal which I used to burn in Scotland. does anyone use this? and is their a supplier in south yorkshire? found national suppliers but would rather just pick up a bag as it says it can be used in a woodburner

Cheers

Peter

I've not used it, though have been told it burns with a dirty, sulphurous smoke. (is that right??)

If it's lignite it's very dirty fuel, more like peat in some ways than normal coal. It most definitely won't be smokeless in that case, the reverse in fact!

Lignite is like half way between peat and true coal geologically iirc, as if it's gone through only part of the geological processes that are needed to make coal from vegetable remains.

It's possibly Lignite as Casp said. Also known as 'brown coal' because.. The stuff I use comes from eastern europe.

It's cheap, filthy and the house multifuel stove loves it. Remember to spend some of the dosh you save on a good set of flue brushes. You'll need them.

It's ok for the house, good air flow and such, but I woudn't like to use it on a boat for fear of loosing freinds.

Cheers

Peter

You can buy it from here for £2.99 for 10kg which well undercuts everyone else's price, or you can have a bag and a half for free if you want to collect from me. It's obnoxious stinking shit as you'll find out when you get a bit of blow back from the fire and evil to use where there is anyone around. Anyway the speed it burns for the heat it produces makes no economic sense, give it a miss.

K

Cheap and nasty fuel usually costs more, as it burns quicker, and puts out less heat.

When living in Sedbergh, We used to buy grade a Easington cobbles. My neighbour bought grade c. He joked I must have had too much money, but he got through it at twice the rate. Also you can sit on the settee for hours, as one big lump burnt all night.

Contrary to what most people who have not used it think, it is very clean burning.

Lights easily, wont blacken glass and minimal smoke/smell, flames really well but quite ashy.

Its classed as a smokeless fuel on the continent, but not here. Its certainly more neighbour friendly than many of the foul smelling petroleum coke filled 'smokeless' fuels commonly used.

It is usually sold as 'union' briquettes.

http://www.djdaviesfuels.co.uk/content/product_solid_info.php?name=Firelite%20Briketts

Edited by Shropshirecoal

I read on various web sites that it was low a low emission fuel used in power stations when in Scotland years ago it used to cost £6 for 50 kilos and burnt to soft ash. It is suitable for woodburners unlike solid fuels etc. The reason I made the comment about the asian was that instead of looking for the correct price he automatically went for the higest price he could invent!! and as I live in Rotherham I have a lot of asian friends and customers that tell me that is normal for them and laugh about it, I am not being racist just telling how it is.Anyway it looks as though I wont be buying any as it does not seem to be available here

Peter