mercia marina to stoke golding (Barton-under-needwood flooding?)

annad

Featured Posts

Hello,

Was hoping to pick up a boat this weekend from mercia and take it down the trent and mersey canal to stoke golding. Checking the CRT website it states branston lock closes on Saturday so thought we can move on Friday instead. However someone has informed a friend of mine that there is a closure now by barton turns marina in Baron-Under-Needwood due to flooding. Does anybody know anything about this and the state its in as i cannot find any information about it on CRT website?

Many thanks,

Hello,

Was hoping to pick up a boat this weekend from mercia and take it down the trent and mersey canal to stoke golding. Checking the CRT website it states branston lock closes on Saturday so thought we can move on Friday instead. However someone has informed a friend of mine that there is a closure now by barton turns marina in Baron-Under-Needwood due to flooding. Does anybody know anything about this and the state its in as i cannot find any information about it on CRT website?

Many thanks,

Hello,

Many thanks,

Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing currently on the stoppages list for that location.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/results/page/1?waterways%5B%5D=119&region=-1&datefrom=&dateto=&Search=Search

Perhaps a call to the marina at Barton - they would know I'm sure.

The stoppage at Barton is probably because the Trent is in flood so you can't get through to Alrewas.

As DH said check with Barton marina.

If so it should be on the stoppages which for some strange reason it is not (though perhaps we should not be too surprised)

We are getting daily updates on the various flood gates/locks on the Norther Waterways currently - seems queer that ones is not on there.

Might that be a frequent enough occurrence that they don't bother to announce it?

That doesn't sound right though TBH.

The gates and locks have been closed very regularly on the C&H, the A&CN and the NJC over the winter and we have been notified each and every time.

Strange one.

Have spoken to the marina they say canal is open...

this is on twitter from 6th feb" Please note the River Section at Alrewas - Trent & Mersey Canal is in flood @CRTContactUs @CanalRiverTrust" from the CRTcentralshire.

who do you believe?

I would give CRT a bell then if you are getting conflicting info.

Of course it's Friday you are moving and the situation could change either way or not change at all of course.

oljvfDz.jpg

Yes the canal at Barton is open but the river section is closed. As previously mentioned, look on twitter.

.... and if you do ring them ask 'em why it isn't on that 'nice new shiny' stoppages system of their's and just Twitter......mad.gif

It was the same last winter; the Alrewas river section closures were only tweeted, not put on the stoppage system. Laziness at the Fazeley office, I guess – it's very irritating, and yes, I tried complaining about it and didn't get anywhere.

I've just emailed Damian Kemp to whinge about it.

Edited by BruceinSanity

It begs the question why they have recently updated the stoppages system, when they don't put all the stoppages on it.

It looks like a regional thing but the lack of consistency is very curious.

I have no idea why but the Alrewas section has never been on the stoppage notices.

Similarly, there are never any notices about the Soar being in flood.

I have noticed that the Calder and Hebble gets a daily update whereas once the Trent is shut at Cranfleet and Sawley there is no mention till they reopen.

Anyone any ideas why so much difference?

I have no idea why but the Alrewas section has never been on the stoppage notices.

Similarly, there are never any notices about the Soar being in flood.

I have noticed that the Calder and Hebble gets a daily update whereas once the Trent is shut at Cranfleet and Sawley there is no mention till they reopen.

Anyone any ideas why so much difference?

The Soar rises and falls so quickly that by the time CRT had put up a stoppage notice it would be out of date!!! Local knowledge is the best way of boating on the Soar combined with a few phone calls to people who live/work by the river. Sileby Mill can say if the river is in flood by just looking out of the office window.

Hello,

Many thanks,

You could still go through Branston lock on Friday before that closes then wait or leave the boat somewhere, Burton on Trent or near Barton or the marina until the Trent falls again though I wouldn't have thought that will be any time soon.