moped on back of widebeam

DeanS

Featured Posts

Thank you all for caring ;-).

I'm planning on using it on backroads, not in heavy traffic...

A scooter, not a motorbike.

A high vis jacket and illuminous green onesie.

A darth vadar helmet.

Training wheels.

5 layers of leather clothing

An ice cream van speaker system to alert people of my presence.

I'm getting old so a bicycle doesn't work for me. Having a car is not going to happen. Got rid of it a while ago. Incompatible with the boating lifestyle smile.png

A scooter is a viable alternative, but yes...safety is important.

Have you considered an e-bike? They're getting very good and would be much more manageable than a moped on a boat. And they encourage exercise (while not forcing it on you :))

Will be more than £400 though. You can pick basic ones up for about £600 to £700 now but it's probably worth spending a bit more.

I used to ride a 750cc m/bike and never once got carved up by lorries, but I once test rode someones restricted moped after I had done some work on it, within several minutes a lorry turned left and almost ran his back wheel over me. Never rode one of those again, you're so helpless without the extra power to keep out of harms way.

I have one of these - very useful for occasional journeys. Lifts easily inside the boat. Makes an interesting footstool when not in use!

http://www.diblasi.co.uk/Folding_Mopeds.asp?Prd=R7&Pag=Prodotto&Lng=enR7_Seq.jpg

I can think of other uses for her than a footstool.

Washing, cooking, cleaning etc.

I have a 125cc motorbike on he back of my 35ft cruiser stern. It stands on a 6mm steel 'holder' that I had fabricated.

The biggest problem I've had is finding suitable points to wheel the bike off the towpath. If you're in one place, fine. If you operate in a relatively small area (cough) you'll get to know the places, and probably plan where you stop accordingly.

The other thing that can be slightly tricky is the height of the towpath. If the towpath is very low I can still load/unload the bike but the steep angle makes it a little risky. Average height towpaths aren't a problem. If you have metal pilings, with the height of the towpath being below this, it's a no-no. Also if the towpath is very high, you can't do it. Another problem could be the width of the towpath but where I am (Macclesfield) that's not been a problem.

The extra weight on the back of my boat makes no practical difference whatsoever.

I don't know where you're based but if you're local to me you're welcome to come and have a look, I'll show you how it works. I could also point you in the direction of the guy who fabricated and fitted it though I have to say, it cost just under £400.00. You'd have to wait a month though, I'm in sunnier climes at the moment!

As regards safety whilst riding: I'd strongly recommend you get at least a 125. Why? well, the 2 most dangerous things you can do on a motorbike: 1/ fail to take up the whole of the lane i.e. ride close to the kerb 2/ fail to keep up to the speed of the traffic. You'd need a CBT, cost over £100 has to be done every 2 years or take the full test, like I did.

I have a 125cc motorbike on he back of my 35ft cruiser stern. It stands on a 6mm steel 'holder' that I had fabricated.

The biggest problem I've had is finding suitable points to wheel the bike off the towpath. If you're in one place, fine. If you operate in a relatively small area (cough) you'll get to know the places, and probably plan where you stop accordingly.

The other thing that can be slightly tricky is the height of the towpath. If the towpath is very low I can still load/unload the bike but the steep angle makes it a little risky. Average height towpaths aren't a problem. If you have metal pilings, with the height of the towpath being below this, it's a no-no. Also if the towpath is very high, you can't do it. Another problem could be the width of the towpath but where I am (Macclesfield) that's not been a problem.

The extra weight on the back of my boat makes no practical difference whatsoever.

I don't know where you're based but if you're local to me you're welcome to come and have a look, I'll show you how it works. I could also point you in the direction of the guy who fabricated and fitted it though I have to say, it cost just under £400.00. You'd have to wait a month though, I'm in sunnier climes at the moment!

As regards safety whilst riding: I'd strongly recommend you get at least a 125. Why? well, the 2 most dangerous things you can do on a motorbike: 1/ fail to take up the whole of the lane i.e. ride close to the kerb 2/ fail to keep up to the speed of the traffic. You'd need a CBT, cost over £100 has to be done every 2 years or take the full test, like I did.

Excellent advice.

I used a Di Blasi fold up motor bike on on canal journey,not quick enough to keep up with urban traffic,too low, cant see over cars.

poor steering characteristics,difficult to make hand signals,bike not steady with just one hand on handle bars.

CT

I bought a little 50cc scooter for my youngest son when he was 16, he didn't take to it, so I kept it at work for nipping into town, and it was great fun.

However, if you tried to take it out of town, it was very scary indeed.

In town, it could easily keep up with the traffic, but on the open road, because of the low top speed, I was constantly being overtaken, sometimes not too considerately, especially on country roads by 4x4 types.

Personally, I wouldn't consider any motorbike that couldn't average 60/70 mph for out of town use.

I'm amazed !,

I just took off my 3 x 20 of fuel cans that was full of fuel, my 4 man canister liferaft, my 10 foot folding gantry, my tender & my spare full 13 kg gas bottle from the extreme stern of my boat. Probably the same combined weight than a moped & associated bracket metalwork, Filled up the Bow water tank & the stern came up well over an inch & a half !.

It just goes to show how different boat designs react to weight isn't it..I'm going to take it out for an hr or so to see how she handles, the sea is a bit choppy, a tad gusty & pudding down,but I'm curious now,just to see if shedding the weight makes any difference as suggested !.

If not,,I'm getting a motorbike !.

I'm only going to use it for very short distances, where traffic travels at slow speeds...and bypass the main roads by using side roads. I have a local janitor job, and when we leave our marina and cruise a few miles, I need to be able pop back to take care of a few things late at night and weekends. Never in traffic hour. A moped will be ideal.

Another question. - Can I give LongSufferingWife a lift to her workplace on the back of a moped if neccessary?

I'm only going to use it for very short distances, where traffic travels at slow speeds...and bypass the main roads by using side roads. I have a local janitor job, and when we leave our marina and cruise a few miles, I need to be able pop back to take care of a few things late at night and weekends. Never in traffic hour. A moped will be ideal.

Another question. - Can I give LongSufferingWife a lift to her workplace on the back of a moped if neccessary?

Not unless you pass your driving test on a moped/bike. If not, you will need L plates and you can't carry passengers.

I dont have a curvy back end, but LongSufferingWife does. Is that a problem?

Gosh!.....cough!.......errr......

No

With regard to the CBT - it is the minimum training allowed but it teaches you nothing about good hazard awareness, defensive riding, and road positioning. Road positioning is something that the vast majority of car drivers never think about because they are stuck in the middle of their lane. To the motorcyclist it carries big advantages in emphasising your intentions to other road users, giving yourself an escape route, seeing ahead etc.

It wouldn't do any harm to read up on it first clicky.

In fact I might get a copy of that for myself because its 8 years since I took my test. I note that this 1996 version might be better than it's replacement which gets a bit of a slating on Amazon

Just checked the "(rather complicated) rules. It depends on when you passed your UK driving test. I am presuming that you have a UK driving licence? You should check the categories you are allowed to drive, on that licence. From the Gov website:

Moped licence requirements
A moped MUST have an engine capacity not exceeding 50 cc, not weigh more than 250kg and be designed to have a maximum speed not exceeding 28mph (45 km/h). Before June 2003 a licence allowed the riding of mopeds up to 50km/h.

To ride a moped, learners MUST

be 16 or over
have a provisional moped licence
complete CBT training.
You MUST first pass the theory test for motorcycles and then the moped practical test to obtain your full moped licence. If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you are qualified to ride a moped without L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), although it is recommended that you complete CBT before riding on the road. If you passed your car driving test after this date you MUST complete CBT before riding a moped on the road.
Laws RTA 1988 sects 97(e) & 101 & MV(DL)R regs 38(4) & 43

and

You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test. Also see Rule 253 covering vehicles prohibited from motorways.
Law MV(DL)R reg 16

So, if you passed your UK car test before 2001 you don't need L plates or CBT, but if after, you do.

You can't carry a passenger until you have passed your bike test.

Ed - be careful that your 50cc bike meets the requirements for a moped, not all do.

Agree with Bazza's post - such things are very important when on 2 wheels. You will think it is all very easy and you are above needing to learn about such things - until you come a cropper!

Edited by nicknorman

Im 47. I've had a South African drivers licence for 30yrs. I changed it to a UK drivers licence 5yrs ago.

Wonder what that means in terms of a moped.

Do I need to write a theoretical test.

Do I need to do a practical test.

Can I have a passenger.

I'll have to ask a policeman or re-read the Gov site. Thanks Nick.

I have one of these - very useful for occasional journeys. Lifts easily inside the boat. Makes an interesting footstool when not in use!

http://www.diblasi.co.uk/Folding_Mopeds.asp?Prd=R7&Pag=Prodotto&Lng=enR7_Seq.jpg

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this here but if not, sorry!

I have one of these tucked away in my shed/workshop. Bought in 2003? ((after several hours in the beer tent watching the Honda Imps) at Beale Park. It's done less than 50 ---yes fifty--- miles from new and has been on a SORN for years. Complete with front (or is it back) carrier and carrying bag. If anyone is interested in it for a sensible price( both ways) PM me. Once the weather improves I'll dig it out and check it out.

Would deliver for cost of diesel

Frank

Edited by Slim

Im 47. I've had a South African drivers licence for 30yrs. I changed it to a UK drivers licence 5yrs ago.

Wonder what that means in terms of a moped.

Do I need to write a theoretical test.

Do I need to do a practical test.

Can I have a passenger.

I'll have to ask a policeman or re-read the Gov site. Thanks Nick.

Not sure that a policeman is the best source of definitive information. Probably best to ask the DVLA direct.

But first, check what categories are listed on the back of your photo driving licence card. A is for all motorcycles, AM just for mopeds (P for faster mopeds), then there is A1 and A2 for smaller motorbikes. It might be that they granted you some of these on the back of your SA experience when you got the UK licence.

Edited by nicknorman

I have one of these tucked away in my shed/workshop. Bought in 2003? ((after several hours in the beer tent watching the Honda Imps) at Beale Park. It's done less than 50 ---yes fifty--- miles from new and has been on a SORN for years. Complete with front (or is it back) carrier and carrying bag. If anyone is interested in it for a sensible price( both ways) PM me. Once the weather improves I'll dig it out and check it out.

Frank

Probably best to stick it up in For Sale & wanted where it will be approved by the mods.

You may just have helped young Dean out, well done Slim.

What is a sorn?.

Young Dean?

You've made my day.

I thought I was over the hill.

Frank

Hi Frank.

Thanks. I need to be able to possibly stick a passenger on the back, but will give it some thought for sure :)

I thought I was over the hill.

Once you get your moped you will find that "over the hill" takes on a new and positive meaning - crawling up the hill at 20mph whilst all around you are overtaking, then screaming down the other side at 35mph eyes streaming and laughing inanely (everyone still overtaking you though).

But you can't carry a passenger on the back of a moped, unless I have misinterpreted some of the above posts.

Mind you, if it came with the accessory shown in the photos I guess that could cause some domestic disharmony. reminds me of a boat-fitting blog on here a couple of years ago in which some of the photos showed an accessory who was far more appealing than the boat!

Edited by Athy

But you can't carry a passenger on the back of a moped, unless I have misinterpreted some of the above posts.

You can if you are licenced appropriately and it's a 2-seater (including having rear footrests). In Dean's case, if he has to sit a test to be able to carry a passenger, I would recommend going for a small bike rather than a moped since the latter is too gutless for safe 2-up and the former can be barely any bigger/heavier. There is a big difference between 50cc and say 90cc in terms of performance.

You seem set on a moped but I really would consider getting something just a bit bigger, for your own safety. My 125 will do 60 easily, I've had it going as fast as 72 although I wouldn't recommend doing that regularly. Anyway, its acceleration is as good as an average car, I rarely get overtaken.

Mopeds are cheap to run but 125's; equally so. Mine does 120 to the gallon. Road tax is £16 a year, insurance £70. All you need to do is change the oil regularly, easy job to do yourself, costs a tenner. New chain and sprocket every 10,000 miles, £50. New rear tyre every 8,000 miles, £40. If you look after your bike reasonably well depreciation will be close to nil, they are always in demand.

You could ride one on a CBT but taking the full test will teach you so much about riding safely...

Hi Dean

If you passed your car driving test before Feb 2001 you don't need to do CBT (training course) if you passed after that you need to do the course

In case you missed it, this is wrong ^^.

If you dont have a motorcycle licence then you MUST do a CBT before they let you out on the roads.

It's Compulsory Basic Training, & is usually done in a car park with a DVLA approved instructor who will decide whether you get your CBT or not. You then have 2 years to pass a motorcylce test. If you dont get your motorcycle licence within 2 years, then when that 2 years is up, you have to do another CBT.

Edit. I'm wrong ^^

Edited by Ssscrudddy

I dont want a motorbike smile.png

I want a bicycle with an engine smile.png

I'm only going to drive it for 12min trips each day. Worsley to Manchester. Trafford to Manchester. etc.

That's about the furthest I'll travel with it on a daily basis. Basically I want to be able to go on short trips out of our marina, but still shoot back to work. The alternative is to never leave the marina...which is not an option :)

Edited by DeanS

In case you missed it, this is wrong ^^.If you dont have a motorcycle licence then you MUST do a CBT before they let you out on the roads.

Surprisingly, you are wrong if you passed your car test before 2001 and just want to ride a moped. Have a look here: https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training