Lock House Wenesfield staffordshire

Featured Posts

Great pictures Laurence - thank you

I moored at the top lock with my father one or two times - we were tempted to go down but never did!

Do you know the date of the press cutting? Was the trip made just out of curiosity?

Thanks again

Joseph

It was early 1969. Our intention was to go right through but BW had made it impossible by blocking across the cut shortly after the bottom lock just past the former Nechells branch entrance.

Many thanks Laurence.

David, you asked when the canal officially closed. I think the technical answer to that is that the 6 locks closed when the Transport Act 1968 came into law - there was then no public right of navigation and no reason why it should not be closed.

Was there any sort of campaign to keep this section open...as a dead end?

Joseph

I found some more views on Flickr.

4327931895_f802fbee87_z.jpg
Wednesfield, Wolverhampton scenes no more - 8A by Oxendale-mac, on Flickr

4330278765_a2a306e455_z.jpg
Wednesfield, Wolverhampton scenes no more - 10A by Oxendale-mac, on Flickr

4329945439_6066fdd94e_z.jpg
Wednesfield, Wolverhampton scenes no more - 12A by Oxendale-mac, on Flickr

10082855236_765cc157c0_z.jpg
Bentley Canal 1989 by BattyTheBat, on Flickr

Edited by tarboat

• 2 weeks later...

This is the view from Coalpool Bridge, the canal house I mentioned would have been close to where the people are fishing , this is 1999 and the house wasn't there then

nq9w7p.jpg

I've just spotted this photo. I was there that day, steering the second day boat. That day is one of my happiest memories on the cut, Joe made it look so easy steering the tug, I learnt so much watching him.

Just had to share that :-).

Cheers, Brian

• Greenie 1

I've just spotted this photo. I was there that day, steering the second day boat. That day is one of my happiest memories on the cut, Joe made it look so easy steering the tug, I learnt so much watching him.

Just had to share that :-).

Cheers, Brian

Is that a young Joe Hollingshead...? He still makes it look easy steering the working boats with the Heritage Working Boat Group, it is great spending time talking with him about his life on the boats.

Is that a young Joe Hollingshead...? He still makes it look easy steering the working boats with the Heritage Working Boat Group, it is great spending time talking with him about his life on the boats.

It is indeed "young Joe". The train was a bit of a fake as the second boat wasn't loaded, it was the bricklayers flat which had a sprinkling of coal on its deck so it appeared loaded. "Nansen 2" is also not a BCN tug, she was built as a centre wheelhouse icebreaker tug boat for the South Western division of BW, She was first brought up to the midlands to trial the compartment boats built to work in trains similar to the tom puddings, this was a failure but "Nansen 2" remained up here and eventually was converted to tiller steering only, previously this was a second option. Steering working boats under load or loaded is actually easier than when they are unladen, this is simply down to the fact that the hulls are designed for being loaded or pulling a load, the hydrodynamics simply work better.

We filmed this re enactment and it features in our DVD series in the compilation "BLACK COUNTRY CANALS – PAST AND PRESENT".

although Nansen was at Anglesey Basin that day

309q4jo.jpg

Didn't there used to be a centre wheelhouse ice breaker stationed at Pelsall ( I think it was named "Byrd" )

Byrd was converted to a centre wheelhouse at Ocker Hill, I have photos of it being worked on at various stages. It was for sale in 1972, I almost purchased it but got married and acquired a house instead!!

That's deep in the water for a day boat with just dust on some boards.

A 70' pointy ended flat?

Yes that's exactly what it was. It was a cut down (in height of sides) Bantock joey that was the "bricklayers boat", I think CRT still has it.

I believe one had "dust covered boards" ( the second in the train?) but certainly the other two were loaded.

There is a DVD available of the trip.

Dan

Its on my DVD "BLACK COUNTRY CANALS - PAST & PRESENT" in the "Wryley routes" chapter.

The Tug was Enterprise Not Nansen

io3iif.jpg

Great photos, thanks for sharing winja :-)

Yes, Joe is great chap, with a wealth of knowledge. As you say it's great to spend time chatting with him & listening to some of his memories.

Yes, Joe is great chap, with a wealth of knowledge. As you say it's great to spend time chatting with him & listening to some of his memories.

Great photos, thanks for sharing winja :-)

I went down the Severn with Joe last year taking Swift to Droitwich and his stories of working the boats on the stretch from Stourport gave a totally different experience to the journey.

Jeanette, I know the area extremely well and there is now nothing to see, the site of Well lane lock cottage is now being turned into a lorry park, interestingly they dug up six lock gates which were in remarkably good condition having been buried for years on the site, these are now with the Lichfield & Hatherton restoration chaps who are going to reuse a set if possible on the Lichfield canal.

The only visible remains of the canal is the preserved bridge within the TATA steel factory, the guards on the gate will normally let you in to photograph it.

Laurence - dont forget the next bridge down under Neachells Lane. The more modern version still there and accessible but not very lovely. Second to last picture on the blog post:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/bentley-canal-wednesfield-junction.html

You can get under it from the industrial site opposite.

• 5 weeks later...