Mooring required near Stoke-on-Trent

Ange

Featured Posts

After five years of ccing we're about to embark on a different stage of our journey, a journey we assured our friends and rellies would last 3 years max! Nothing's definite yet but I'm hoping my temporary contract will be extended for the rest of this year. It's been great that for four years we've been able to cruise during the summer and only work during the winter but that was only going to last for a finite amount of time, we've well exceeded the original plan and our bank balance is very poorly.

So - time to think of a permanent mooring. We've got the winter mooring until end of March so there's no panic, but I'd like to sort something out fairly soon. There's two marinas that would suit - one in Etruria and one in Stone but we really really would rather not live in a marina. That's our last resort. I've been on the CRT auction site every day and there's nothing in the area.

What I'm wondering, and the reason I'm posting this, is does anyone know of any offside farmers fields moorings where there might be a vacancy? Does anyone have an end of garden mooring not in use? Does anyone have any ideas - this is a first for us so even though I've been on the forum for 5 years I've never taken that much notice of mooring threads.

I'm hoping that someone with a bit of local knowledge might point us somewhere so we don't end up living in a marina.

I'm working at North Staffs hospital - an easy commute to work is top of the list of priorities.

I know I could have asked this question with much fewer words and way less personal information but hey it's Friday night and I've had a few glasses of vino :cheers:

Are there any CRT LTM's in the area at all? Whilst there maybe none on the auction site at the moment, perhaps a phone call to the local CRT moorings manager might give you notice that one is becoming available soon, or that there are some vacant that haven't been added to the website yet.

I did this when I was looking for my London mooring and the Moorings Manager that covers London was very helpful. She was also knowledgeable about NON-CRT moorings in her area that were not so obvious from a simple Google search and was able to suggest some places to try.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Are there any CRT LTM's in the area at all? Whilst there maybe none on the auction site at the moment, perhaps a phone call to the local CRT moorings manager might give you notice that one is becoming available soon, or that there are some vacant that haven't been added to the website yet.

I did this when I was looking for my London mooring and the Moorings Manager that covers London was very helpful. She was also knowledgeable about NON-CRT moorings in her area that were not so obvious from a simple Google search and was able to suggest some places to try.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

There are CRT LTMs in the area - I assumed because none were available for auction they were all taken.

That's a good idea though - nothing can be lost by giving the local CRT moorings manager a ring - thank you!

Hi

When we were considering working between Derby and Manchester we focussed on the Macclesfield canal. We have done the Macclesfield before and like Bosley locks moorings.

There is a 57 foot mooring up for auction now finishes on Tuesday

https://www.crtmoorings.com/auctions/search.php?search_type=basic&keywords=&min_length=&min_width=&county=&waterway=48&mooring_use=&postcode=&distance=&vacancy_type=2&sort_by=0&sort_type=asc&vsearch=Start+search

No bids either and I think it puts you the right side of SOT

Good luck

Nev NB Percy

There are a few moorings at a company in Kidsgrove. They are called Sithsons and their number is 01782 787 887. My parents used to moor there and it was an ok spot to moor. They are the local coal merchant with caravan storage, gas etc

In my opinion, the marina in Etruria is a dump, I would not even moor there overnight ( which is how I found out about the state of it last year)

Cowbrook Farm above Bosley locks on the Macc allow residential moorings. There's no off road parking though but there are a few liveaboards there. Nonresidential rates were about £400 a year for a 40 footer when I was there - probably more now as it seemed to go up every year.

Thanks folks - lots of ideas to be mulling over!

Closeness is a big issue because Dave needs the car during the day. This means that 30 minutes distance means 2 hours driving per day for him to shuttle me to and from work. We're 20 minutes away on a bad traffic day at the moment which is acceptable but every additional 10 minutes is another 40 minutes driving / diesel.

Lots of suggestions for the Shroppie (and I adore the Shroppie) but I'm thinking it's a bit too far. Not to be dismissed though - still on the back burner.

Springwood Park Farm does look lovely Woodstock - comes in at 25 minutes according to google. Definitely one to consider.

Nev & richardf & Arthur Marshall - we were moored in Bollington when I got the job and I've commuted from the top of Bosley locks (I saw that one was up for grabs) and from Kidsgrove. It's a horrible drive in the rush hour so I did it by train and bus and really don't want to spend another moment of my life getting drenched waiting for a bus that doesn't appear when it should. It's a shame, particularly with Bosley, because we loved the Macc. and were very sad to leave the route of our favourite coalboat NB Alton

station tug - I'm not finding Ho Mill - where's that exactly?

Thanks again for all the suggestions - sometimes I have my canal head on and forget that places that take days to reach on the water actually aren't that far away by road!

Edited by Ange

I think that Station Tug means Hoo Mill. There is a small marina just below the lock - it's just north of Great Haywood. I don't know the area too well (south Staffordshire was where the posh ,lived when I was a lad) but it can't be far from the A34 and you can't get lost finding your way to work then.

Have you thought about Stone. Only about 10ml from Stoke. Although this page is out of date and archive only there is a phone number on it where you may get some joy if you were to try. http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/pages/moorings.htm

There are some online moorings near the chandlers also. Dont know who owns them, if not belonging to the above link then the chandlers in Stone may have some connection. May be worth a phone call to them as perhaps it is to Canal Cruisers the hire company in Stone.