General interior styling

boathunter

Featured Posts

I am sad, but I really like your toilet.

We call it the "Thunderbox". smile.png

Whatever floats your boat. Personal taste is well, personal. We love ours, others will hate it....

Edited by johnmck

Generally the older a particular example of something is, the more I like it. Houses, cars, boats... this only works up to a point for women. smile.png

Me too, I was brought up on a diet of old car, bike and house restorations.

Our narrowboat has a lot of genuinely old wood used in its fit out and we have continued the theme by bringing in genuinely old furniture ( https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lyrhaec57rrvhi2/uQvLhwfHs9 https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lx1l4mlvutbgt3c/1nnPxqZbqb ).

We have just bought a 1931 wooden Ketch to continue our CCing off shore (we are sick to death of CaRTs obsessive tinkering with moorings on the inland waters) but first it needs its fit-out modified to our style.

Our plan is to use the appropriate parts of old/antique ‘furniture’ to fit her out, for example the door and façade of an old wardrobe makes a great wall panel and old ‘brown’ furniture is not only ridiculously cheap but the quality of the wood is way beyond anything you can buy from a wood merchant nowadays.

Most antique shops and auction rooms have shed loads of incomplete furniture like table tops, odd legs and cupboard panels that they don’t know what to do with. This way you can easily fit-out to whatever style you want with very little carpentry skills.

Edited by Joshua

Most antique shops and auction rooms have shed loads of incomplete furniture like table tops, odd legs and cupboard panels that they don’t know what to do with. This way you can easily fit-out to whatever style you want with very little carpentry skills.

I quite agree. We've got an old 1920s bergere three piece suite; a Victorian thunderbox; an Edwardian washbasin from a Cunard liner and masses of reclaimed timber.

I do like your fitout, btw.

But then personally I couldn't live in a grp boat. They look good from the outside but the interiors are always too sleek and practical for my tastes.

Cream 80% wool carpets are not practical wacko.png

Hence why they are currently in the process of being replaced.

Heres what it looked like before we ripped the carpets out!!

3043258_0_131220101139_5.jpg

3043258_0_131220101139_3.jpg

I am sad, but I really like your toilet.

:lol: Me too.

This is ours just as she was launched. She has been "Personalised" a little, but the simple uncluttered interior remains very much the same.

http://www.beaconboats.co.uk/trisk.html

That is lovely, it must have cost arm + leg, but not quite cluttered enough for my tastes.

With apologies for both bad photography and bad housekeeping -

Wood and paint carpeted saloon -

2014-02-05144923.jpg

And for something different, upholstered bedroom -

2014-02-05144537.jpg

2014-02-05144502.jpg

This is all 20 years on and in need of some attention, as you see, but even given bachelor neglect, it has held up well.

Now that's very homely, your living area doesn't have that corridor look at all.

I think I know where Boathunter's coming from, eg the old split screen VW campers were absolute works of art in merging practicality with charm, and I have to say the vast majority of NB's I see have neither. Also, if you compare an old NB with an old yacht they are poles apart and I think it is because the majority of narrowboat buyers are not "boaty" people so the typical NB interior has to shadow the domestic interior of the intended buyer. The extreme examples of this are hire/timeshare boats which are particularly soulless.

In this respect I tend to agree that you will struggle to find what you want in the canal boat market.

You might find what you are looking for given time, but certainly with a short timescale you would have to be lucky.

If it was my money I might be looking for a good prestige hull that needs work inside, so you may have a lot to do but the end result will be a cracking boat.

• Greenie 1

I think I know where Boathunter's coming from, eg the old split screen VW campers were absolute works of art in merging practicality with charm, and I have to say the vast majority of NB's I see have neither. Also, if you compare an old NB with an old yacht they are poles apart and I think it is because the majority of narrowboat buyers are not "boaty" people so the typical NB interior has to shadow the domestic interior of the intended buyer. The extreme examples of this are hire/timeshare boats which are particularly soulless.

In this respect I tend to agree that you will struggle to find what you want in the canal boat market.

You might find what you are looking for given time, but certainly with a short timescale you would have to be lucky.

If it was my money I might be looking for a good prestige hull that needs work inside, so you may have a lot to do but the end result will be a cracking boat.

Great point about interiors to suit the market.

I save my favs on Apollo Duck, as you do, and there's usually one or two I like on the market. My saved folder is empty at the moment. There doesn't seem a good turnover of boats right now and the ones I perceive as the good ones have sold. It'll pick up in the spring I hear.

I don't have time or the inclination to build the interior, particularly as I've never owned a boat and don't really know what I'd want. I could get in a real pickle! Also my work is hands on mending things and coming home to a half completed boat isn't what I have in mind. I've done that with 2 houses, numerous VW Campers, a 50 yr old summerhouse, furniture, you name it. I need to spend less time mending things and more time reading in front of a coal stove. :)

Not quite, but this sort of thing if it turned out to have a sound hull. If the engine or gearbox breaks I can mend it myself.

Would have liked a bath. I know - totally impractical, but now and again.

Edit to add the link.rolleyes.gif

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=341359

Edited by boathunter

What's impractical about a bath?

It would take me awhile to dig up the photos, but I created an all-wood [and mirrors] full-width walk-through bathroom in laminated pine where the floor flowed up into a sitz bath to match the bespoke pine basin.

The bath is 4' x 2' and deep enough to float in.

I prefer high-powered showers myself, but was always happy to oblige the preference of others.

Not quite, but this sort of thing if it turned out to have a sound hull. If the engine or gearbox breaks I can mend it myself.

Would have liked a bath. I know - totally impractical, but now and again.

Edit to add the link.rolleyes.gif

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=341359

:) that looks really nice and comfy , moi had a bath on moi first boat, well only a small one for my saplings and moi never used the bath only the shower ( baths proper longs ones lol .. yer can scrounge a soak when yer visit landlocked friends :)

smile.png that looks really nice and comfy , moi had a bath on moi first boat, well only a small one for my saplings and moi never used the bath only the shower ( baths proper longs ones lol .. yer can scrounge a soak when yer visit landlocked friends smile.png

It's socially easier for a woman to take over someones bathroom, blokes aren't meant to lounge in the bath and usually make a mess.

Shower for me too, but I built a bathroom at home about 8 years ago and thought I ought to try the bath before I sold the house and got into it. You do it to kids don't you? Bath and bed, straight to sleep. Works for me, it's me knackered aching body! I'm making the most of it while I can.

What's impractical about a bath?

Filling it with hot water I imagine?

With apologies for both bad photography and bad housekeeping -

Wood and paint carpeted saloon -

2014-02-05144923.jpg

And for something different, upholstered bedroom -

2014-02-05144537.jpg

2014-02-05144502.jpg

This is all 20 years on and in need of some attention, as you see, but even given bachelor neglect, it has held up well.

That looks very nice, just the right mix, lovely looking interior.

I found the old files with photos of the girlfriend's boat I mentioned earlier.

This is the all-wood bath [louvred doors can totally enclose the bathroom, but in the view from the bed you look through into the study]

bathbodyshower.jpg

bath.jpg

Underfloor heating, mirrored bulkheads, heated towel rail at one end, body jets to match opposite [in addition to the wall mountable handshower].