Retrofit Multifuel Ovens who's got one?

MunkeyBoy

Featured Posts

Being a bit of a baked patatoe fan I am considering geting one of those ovens that sits on top of the existing wood/coal burner and wondered if anyone has one and what they think of it.

Or any other ideas for cooking bake potatoes without burning them?

thanks.

Nice one MtB. Keep it simple yes?

I have seen a boat with a stove that has a separate oven that sits in top though I can't for the life if me find a link to a make.

What make is your stove? If it's a conventional type a met fab shop could make one up.

I've used a cast iron (not enameled) caserole on a Squirel as an oven but put a mesh trivet in the bottom or you will smoke your spuds Bishop.

Edited by Taslim

Nice one MtB. Keep it simple yes?

I have seen a boat with a stove that has a separate oven that sits in top though I can't for the life if me find a link to a make.

What make is your stove? If it's a conventional type a met fab shop could make one up.

I've used a cast iron (not enameled) caserole on a Squirel as an oven but put a mesh trivet in the bottom or you will smoke your spuds Bishop.

It's a Chilli Penguin made in Wales I think ...

I make baked potatoes with great difficulty in the ashpan of the Squirrel. They're great in the ashpan of the Rayburn tho' ...

It's a Chilli Penguin made in Wales I think ...

I make baked potatoes with great difficulty in the ashpan of the Squirrel. They're great in the ashpan of the Rayburn tho' ...

That's the beast.

I'e never tryed spuds in the Squirel ash pan but do it, wraping the potatos in foil, in the emers in the fire box when burning wood.

Never tryed Raburn ash pan. I just shove 'em in the overn.

Buy a cast iron cooking pot instead and use it as a Dutch oven on the stove top. Just as good and far cheaper than the Chilli Penguin product, Looks far better as well.

Aldi's were doing cast iron casserole pots for £25.99, we bought one, works great on the woodburners cheers.gif

Have you considered using the thermostatically controlled oven in the lower section of your cooker?

MtB

Why run gas at a high tempreture when a multifuel stove is on anyway for something basic like a spud?

I have read lots of people cook stews on their stoves too despite having a gas cooker so it must work out well!

Buy a cast iron cooking pot instead and use it as a Dutch oven on the stove top. Just as good and far cheaper than the Chilli Penguin product, Looks far better as well.

Great idea I completely forgot about using a cast iron pot thanks.

Edited by MunkeyBoy

An old biscuit tin with a few holes punched in the lid with a nail. Also you can place a house brick on either side of your grate bridging them with a grid, an old bit of cast fire grate or something. By adjusting the fires heat beforehand by the amount of coals put on you can cook allsorts of things, Heat up pies, jacket potatoes, soup, fish, chicken ect in oven foil ect ect, all cooking where you can inspect them regularly by just opening the door. Smoke from the coals will not contaminate any open food like pastry pies, as its drawn up the chimney and away.