Portholes or windows?

dharmalounge

Featured Posts

I think we have different tastes...shouldn't you be on the riverboatworld forum?...

Errm,

That was built and used exclusively as a narrow beam canal boat!

Don't worry about me though, I was only joining this thread for something to do until someone had provided an answer for the location of the aqueduct in another!

I've always gone for porthole at the rear and windows at the front.

As well as light, when you move through the boat or are sat inside, you still have the views of outside.

....... and, how else can you have a gander inside other peoples boats when you go past unless they have windows wink.png

All port holes for us, but we also have 2 pigeon boxes, a houdini and 4 side doors, 2 of which also have top opening hatches. Definitely better security than windows, and privacy, but it depends on how you use your boat as to what suits best.

As to the security issue, in all honesty, how many narrow boats actually get broken into though their windows? It is usually very hard to secure doors and hatches, and I'll wager that is the route that the vast majority get broken in through, particularly those with "cratch covers" or "pram hoods" which allow an intruder to work on their method of getting in, largely unobserved.

My boat has been broken into three times when left on the tow path, each time by breaking a window ( last time two weeks ago).

If I was to spec out another new boat it would have all 15" portholes and roof prisms.

Don't worry about me though, I was only joining this thread for something to do until someone had provided an answer for the location of the aqueduct in another!

I think you'll find the korrect boating term for one of them is an "aqua duck"...

:D

Mtb

... Also it is worth noting that big windows can make the boat very hot in summer and cold in winter. ...

Haven't really experienced this (good insulation in cabin roof and walls?) ... but find that big windows make our boat pleasantly warm on sunny days in early springtime and late autumn ... without heating.

Can't imagine NOT having big windows in lounge area ... I seem to spend a lot of time gazing at the outdoors from inside especially this winter when the river/canal is high and fast and running, the island beside us is flooding, a dozen variety of birds are hopping about the fields and perching in the trees beside us, the big sky is full of tumbling clouds and streaking orange dusk light, ...

Edited by Jim Batty

We have both.An all port hole boat while more secure will leave you with fewer options for escape in an emergency

I would think having doors at each end of the boat is plenty enough escape options, unless on a cruise like NC but IIRC NC has a Houdini so that would do the job.

Phil

Condensation - Yup, rather than putting on the kettle for the first brew, I now have a new routine.....going round all the windows with a super absorbent sponge. We've decided to put the film glazing on all the windows other then the two in the galley that slide open as well as have the top hopper (4 months ago I didn't know what that meant ;)) & the one in the bathroom with the same set up. I will probable insist that the one on my side of the bed doesn't get the glazing either for the reason mentioned above

And once you do you can throw away that super-absorbent cloth and enjoy that early brew. We put film on our bus-style windows for the first time this winter and not a drop of condensation any more. £10 very well spent.

I would think having doors at each end of the boat is plenty enough escape options, unless on a cruise like NC but IIRC NC has a Houdini so that would do the job.

Phil

i have been far to close to at least three fires that could have resulted in fatalities and am a bit paranoid about so when it comes to escape options i dont think two is plenty but its down to what you are happy with.

i have been far to close to at least three fires that could have resulted in fatalities and am a bit paranoid about so when it comes to escape options i dont think two is plenty but its down to what you are happy with.

Sorry I don't get it, fire at one end of the boat, exit at the other and vice versa, fire in the middle take nearest exit. Yes 2 fires, one at each end would be a problem but what are the odds on having similtanious fires at both ends of the boat, long enough for me to take a chance.

Phil

For us its portholes + prism for bedroom and bathroom, windows for the rest. Apart from anything else, I would hate not knowing what was going on outside / looking at the view etc. if you are very concerned about privacy and security then I suppose portholes are the answer, but I don't see the point of being on a boat if you can't really see out. Why not have no windows at all - that really would be secure!

Sorry I don't get it, fire at one end of the boat, exit at the other and vice versa, fire in the middle take nearest exit. Yes 2 fires, one at each end would be a problem but what are the odds on having similtanious fires at both ends of the boat, long enough for me to take a chance.

Phil

Well the problem here is on a lot of boats the stern hatches are secured with a padlock on the outside, and a lot of peeps, liking to feel safe and secure inside their boats, leave the back hatches locked up. Now they only have one exit, at the front.

So if the fire happens at the front of the boat, they now have no escape route. You boat may not be arranged like this but lots are.

MtB

Phil

i dont know what the odds of anything are and as i said i am a bit paranoid about fire and it is down to what the individual is happy with.all i pointed out to the op was that having a boat with only portholes reduces your options for exit.this is a fact.i am not arguing for or against portholes. paul

We never lock doors externally if we're inside, all doors are lockable from the inside with bolts and a the engine room door with a mortice lock where the key is always left in the ole on the inside when we're on the boat. With opening side doors there's nowhere we couldn't escape a fire.

So all portholes makes no difference to fire escape in our case. I would imagine most boaters with all portholes would figure it the same.

i dont know what the odds of anything are and as i said i am a bit paranoid about fire and it is down to what the individual is happy with.all i pointed out to the op was that having a boat with only portholes reduces your options for exit.this is a fact.i am not arguing for or against portholes. paul

Given the ages that we are and our physical abilities hauling ourselves out windows is not really an option, we will just have to hope we don't have a fire at both ends of the boat, not that I expect this would happen in my lifetime.

Phil

ok! once more with feeling and thats it ''HAVING A BOAT WITH ONLY PORTHOLES REDUCES YOUR OPTIONS FOR EXIT''frusty.gif

OK, I might be old but I'm not deaf and still maintain climbing out of windows to exit a boat on fire is not something that would happen, just go to the nearest exit (door)

1/ Fire astern,exit bow doors

2/ Fire forward,exit stern doors

3/ Fire amidship,either of the above

Any other scenario,well, chances of that happening, infinitesmal

All said without shouting

Phil

OK, I might be old but I'm not deaf and still maintain climbing out of windows to exit a boat on fire is not something that would happen, just go to the nearest exit (door)

1/ Fire astern,exit bow doors

2/ Fire forward,exit stern doors

3/ Fire amidship,either of the above

Any other scenario,well, chances of that happening, infinitesmal

All said without shouting

Phil

all said without listening.what part of this statement do you fail to understand.

having a boat with only portholes reduces your options for exit.

all said without listening.what part of this statement do you fail to understand.

having a boat with only portholes reduces your options for exit.

Paul you are wasting your time, honestly what you are suggesting is like saying "I'm staying indoors in case I get hit on the head by falling meteor"

Phil

• Greenie 1