new water points

b0atman

Featured Posts

have seen a couple of photos of new waterpoints question is how do they stop people stealing the locks

Like most things locked with a padlock that requires a Watermate key, the padlocks are on chains.

Mind you so were the ones they put onto Grand Union paddle gear local to me a few years ago as an anti-vandal measure, and for those at least, the chains were not sufficiently heavy duty to stop all the padlocks disappearing within a year or two.

I have thought that as well, but, where would you use a padlock to which everybody and his uncle owns a key?

George ex nb Alton retired

But away from the waterways, would anyone recognise it as a BW padlock? Especially if any identifying marks are removed.

have seen a couple of photos of new waterpoints question is how do they stop people stealing the locks

They have a flashing light which warns of approaching boats.It gives you time to stow hose and untie to get in the lock you have set ready next to the water point before they can .

• Greenie 1

Like most things locked with a padlock that requires a Watermate key, the padlocks are on chains.

Mind you so were the ones they put onto Grand Union paddle gear local to me a few years ago as an anti-vandal measure, and for those at least, the chains were not sufficiently heavy duty to stop all the padlocks disappearing within a year or two.

The chain is only attached by a small shackle.

bh07RDx.jpg?1

The chain is only attached by a small shackle.

bh07RDx.jpg?1

I agree that one is, but others I have seen are not, and you would have to cut or break something, not just unscrew a shackle, to remove the padlock.

Perhaps that one has already needed a "repair"?

I agree that one is, but others I have seen are not, and you would have to cut or break something, not just unscrew a shackle, to remove the padlock.

Perhaps that one has already needed a "repair"?

All the ones I have seen, that is probably less than ten, have been like that.

All the ones I have seen, that is probably less than ten, have been like that.

That's pretty poor then, isn't it - obviously made tat way, and not a patched up damaged one.

As I implied previously, given the track record for those attached to paddle gear by chains, I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be around long, whether originally attached with shackles or not with shackles.

find an old nail undo shackle and leave tap running not exactly vandal proof are they !

They don't normally work like that, though!

The chain, (in this case with shackle), should stop the padlock being able to be taken away even if unlocked, but doesn't form part of the locking method itself.

Actually locking the flap down on the water point is achieved by putting the padlock through two loops, one on the fixed structure and one on the hinged lid.

If you were to cut the chain away, (or remove a shackle), when the lid was locked, it would still be locked.

So, even if you had a padlock with no chain whatsoever, you could still lock the water point, but of course the padlock is then likely to go missing quite quickly.

Still a crap design, though.

However don't forget that on the older types that are meant to be lockable by Yale type locks, in fact the locks are regularly buggered as well - you wouldn't have thought it is a hard engineering problem to solve, but it seems to be!

Classic rubbish CRT engineering. Nearly as bad as the visitors display boxes they put up with a brand new windlass on them that you turned to get a recorded information about ye olde boatmen, the shiny windlass was only held on by a single Allen bolt. Strangley they dissapeared overnight !

The taps are flimsy and cheap and nasty.