Another dead Swan

peterboat

Featured Posts

Well it may be nearly 9 years ago, but it still comes across as totally surreal. I think Max is very good at taking the p***, including in his music, notably 'Orkney Wedding with Sunrise (and bagpipes), which I saw him conduct once.

He's just announced his retirement, by the way (as Master of the Queen's Music, not from eating swans).

Quack update we have upwards of fifty swans around our boats and they are very different in nature, some come a knocking for bread others are timid things some even like a chat with you!! But the partner to the dead swan is still mourning the dead very human dont you think?

Peter

Around where I live in Camberley, Surrey quite a few swans have gone missing and the Eastern Europeans that run the local car-washes get the blame.

I guess they are not protected species in Poland, Romania etc

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3615/3372802391_f362679647.jpg

Edited by matty40s

I do wonder about sympathy for a swan, which isn't even a member of an endangered species. We had similar twaddle on TV this weekend when someone was saying what a shame it was that coastal flooding had disrupted habitats for seals, some marine birds, and umpteen invertebrates (we didn't get any footage of photogenic creepy-crawlies -- I wonder why?). Those particular swans are taking advantage of a man-made environment, and good luck to them, but it's hardly significant in the scheme of things.

It strikes me that although it might be tragic for individual creatures, the only thing that really matters is survival of the species. On a more philosophical note, what right do we have to determine where any species makes it living?

so the breast and leg meat is good then. That is most useful to know. Plus the wings for fancy dress angels. Seems a shame to let dead swans just go to waste. Terrine is the answer, to make the most of a bad situation next time one encounters a dead swan. They get squashed up in the locks a fair bit round here - scavenging and following boats into the locks.

I do wonder about sympathy for a swan, which isn't even a member of an endangered species. We had similar twaddle on TV this weekend when someone was saying what a shame it was that coastal flooding had disrupted habitats for seals, some marine birds, and umpteen invertebrates (we didn't get any footage of photogenic creepy-crawlies -- I wonder why?). Those particular swans are taking advantage of a man-made environment, and good luck to them, but it's hardly significant in the scheme of things.

It strikes me that although it might be tragic for individual creatures, the only thing that really matters is survival of the species. On a more philosophical note, what right do we have to determine where any species makes it living?

The thing that surprised me was its real grief trying to move its dead partner even a few days later just not seen it before

Peter

I would of eaten it as the queen wants them all for herself so they must taste good.

Please look back to my earlier post.It is not only the monarch who had ownership of swans. Swan upping as a traditional relic/festival may do so in the name of the monarch but that was not the case originally and I doubt she lays claim to any these days.