inverters? what do they do? and are they necessary.

tjderby

Featured Posts

I seen an 80w panel for just under £400. But that was a the marina. Gonna look online. It's about £1300 for about 300w power with 3 panels

I think you'll find something suitable part way between those two prices.

I saw something on these forums - £200 for 200 watts all included - looked like a cheap Chinese import - their use of English wasn't too brilliant which makes one worried about the quality.

The supplier of the eBay offering has more on sale - just look at his other products; so no need to rush into it.

I seen an 80w panel for just under £400. But that was a the marina. Gonna look online. It's about £1300 for about 300w power with 3 panels

Hi TJ

Try this place, very reasonable prices for full kits.

This package in particular, £132.00

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/12v/12v-165w-30apwm

Trawl the site though loads of options reasonable priced.

Edited by Julynian

You should be aiming for about £1 per Watt so 200Watts = £200 anything under that counts as a bagain, remember to allow for a controller too, you may want to get a bigger one than you need so you can add more in later.

K

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharp-MCS-240W-Solar-240-Watt-Panels-Panel-ND-R240A2-Not-250W-250-Watt/301070055553?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4181089093634014949%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D281181091963%26

Do not even think about paying this sort of money unless it is all gold plated. I would be unhappy to pay more than £120 for a 100 watt panel

Phil

Do not even think about paying this sort of money unless it is all gold plated. I would be unhappy to pay more than £120 for a 100 watt panel

Phil

There is a 100w set up on ebay at the moment £129 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100Watts-Portable-Folding-Poly-Solar-Panel-100W-12V-RV-boat-battery-charger-kit-/281245524173?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item417b8a20cd

Damn - Dave's gone to bed so I can't consult the guru! I know our entire set up (two panels, cables and controller) cost about £550. A lot of it probably came from China but so does most stuff nowadays - if not the finished goods the components do (I worked for a firm that made safety valves for a while and they'd closed their foundry down to buy the raw materials from China - these guys don't just knock out substandard rubbish nowadays).

Hopefully I'll be posting while Dave's still awake one of these days and will be able to give more accurate information :)

tj.

not everything from China is bad. Your game console probable came from there and the company I work for has sophisticated kit we designed in UK made there.

The last set of solar panels I helped install looked very much like some 'Posh' ones. As Captain Z said time will tell but I suspect they came from the same farm.

I looked at those but they're from china. so not sure about quality. plus you have to pay inport tax.

Smart gent!

You're learning fast.

Another problem is that if there's a fault, the vendor will insist you return it - which for you will be very expensive. PayPay won't refund you unless you do. Protestations about impracticability fall on deaf ears (that's 'cos it's a computer that deals with complaints - I kid you not).

Been there, got whatever it is.........

Granted a lot of things are made in China. But its the components that make up what ever it is that matters. Most companies like apple and Microsoft manufacture the components and send em to China to be put together. Where as Chinese made components I'm not so sure.

Just an aside, I am reading a Jules Verne book and at one point China is mentioned and the statement made that the Chinese are smart,hard working and diligent and one day would become top (manufactoring) force in the World.

Little did JV know how right he was to become.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

A lot of Chinese manufacture is of high quality, principally because it specified so by whoever subcontracts the work to them and execrises external quality control.

Where the system breaks down is that some wily oriental gentleman copies the design using inferior quality material and skimps in other areas (ie. not following all the design requirements) This product is then put on the market without the buyer realising what the short cuts are.

You're then stuck with junk and no redress.

A lot of Chinese manufacture is of high quality, principally because it specified so by whoever subcontracts the work to them and execrises external quality control.

Where the system breaks down is that some wily oriental gentleman copies the design using inferior quality material and skimps in other areas (ie. not following all the design requirements) This product is then put on the market without the buyer realising what the short cuts are.

You're then stuck with junk and no redress.

Not if you make your purchase from a supplier in England, It does'nt matter were the kit is made. All the panels I have bought for my previous boat (5) and for my present boat (4) were made in China but purchased here in England.

Phil

Don't forget the lights! Most boats have 12volt lighting, halogen or car bulbs. But these use a lot of amps, I changed all of my bulbs to led's, not only does it greatly reduce power required, but most led lights are much brighter.

I can now run all my lights at the same time for the same power as 1 car bulb.

I got my led lights from Bedazzled. They seem to be the best value.

Don't forget the lights! Most boats have 12volt lighting, halogen or car bulbs. But these use a lot of amps, I changed all of my bulbs to led's, not only does it greatly reduce power required, but most led lights are much brighter.

I can now run all my lights at the same time for the same power as 1 car bulb.

I got my led lights from Bedazzled. They seem to be the best value.

Sorry, not sure what LED lights have to do with PV arrays, if I've missed something, sorry

Phil

Not if you make your purchase from a supplier in England, It does'nt matter were the kit is made. All the panels I have bought for my previous boat (5) and for my present boat (4) were made in China but purchased here in England.

Phil

Ah, but , yes, but - the panels in question were shipped from and sold by somebody in China. Said so on the listing.

fnar, fnar.

Keep up at the back there

Ah, but , yes, but - the panels in question were shipped from and sold by somebody in China. Said so on the listing.

fnar, fnar.

Keep up at the back there

Pay attention, I said MY panels were all made in China but purchased from a UK based company

Ya boo sucks to you

Phil